BajaNomad

Stray dog needs ride to San Diego

tecatero - 10-22-2021 at 04:59 AM

Hi Nomads, the dogs name is Dora, many of you have seen her at the Pemex station in Jesús Maria. She had horrible mange last year and a vet treated her and she healed , now she is suffering again. A wonderful family from Santa Cruz is waiting for her to get to the US and will meet her in San Diego. I left her a bag of food yesterday as I was heading south. She is so sweet, friendly and lives at the station with 10 cats. I gave the female attendants some cash to feed and look after her and said Dora is going to California, they were excited for her…..now logistics. I will pay for gas, hotels, food, your time, etc,,,,,, whatever it takes to get her to a good life. Please message me if you can help. Saludos!

3E252307-357E-4FFD-891B-0EE2D7F54C9D.jpeg - 28kB

BajaBlanca - 10-22-2021 at 08:25 AM

She should probably get rabies etc shots before she heads north, right?

John Harper - 10-22-2021 at 12:38 PM

I think you'll need to have a vet issue a health certificate and proof of current rabies vaccination.

Dogs: All domestic dogs must be healthy. Dogs over four (4) months of age must have documentation proving current rabies vaccination. A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate, is not required for privately owned dogs entering California.

Dogs imported into California for the purpose of being sold or changing ownership require a health certificate issued by a licensed and accredited veterinarian within 10 days prior to importation.

John

[Edited on 10-22-2021 by John Harper]

tecatero - 10-23-2021 at 05:46 AM

Over 40 years of crossing never asked for papers, except coming into México once. CBP has bigger worries in 2021.

mtgoat666 - 10-23-2021 at 06:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tecatero  
Over 40 years of crossing never asked for papers, except coming into México once. CBP has bigger worries in 2021.

But if the CBP asks their usual Q: “Sir/Madam/They, have you brought anything back with you from Mexico?”

The honest answer may prompt a request to see dogs papers

AKgringo - 10-23-2021 at 06:32 AM

Five years ago, crossing north bound at Tecate, I was asked if my dog was vaccinated. I had a health certificate and proof of vaccinations, but the agent didn't even look at them.

It was one of those rare days when there was only one car ahead of me, and no one lined up behind me, so I think he was just trying to stay busy.

John Harper - 10-23-2021 at 07:19 AM

Just beccause you got through many times, does not mean they will always let you through. The books are full of rarely enforced laws, but they are still on the books.

But, you are asking someone else to take on a risk that you have no stake in later. I would at least pay to have the dog be fully vaxxed and papered, it's the least you could do for whoever transports the pooch.

John

tecatero - 10-24-2021 at 07:16 AM

If she makes it another week that is my concern. I work with a rescu in San Diego and brought 45 dogs across the last 2 years. They have changed laws on puppies needing rabies vacs as well. Literally I have crossed with 11 puppies and a mom, dumped on the road. CBP agave the asked which rescue in which city. He then said “great job saving them, lucky dogs, safe travels”.
I’m sure every agent has his/her rule book, but Dora isn’t going to live much longer. We got her a ride next Saturday,new owners meeting her at border and taking her directly to VCA. Hope it all works out

John Harper - 10-24-2021 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by tecatero  
Literally I have crossed with 11 puppies and a mom, dumped on the road. CBP agave the asked which rescue in which city. He then said “great job saving them, lucky dogs, safe travels”.

Great work.

Meanwhile, there are thousands of desperate, displaced humans camped out at the US-Mexican border, with little hope of getting through to a "better" life.

Strange world we live in. :coolup:

And thousands still at risk for death due to idiotic vaccine deniers.

John

ligui - 10-24-2021 at 01:15 PM

Wow ! Tecatero great ! Really made me fill good to read this post.

Not everyday someone will reach out to help .

Hope everything works out .

:bounce:

tecatero - 10-25-2021 at 07:42 AM

Thanks ligui
I didn’t do much, but sometimes not doing much is better than doing nothing. Hope it all aligns and she makes to the vet in San Diego.