BajaNomad

South Dakota Plates for Cal car in Cabo

Bwk94510 - 8-16-2023 at 03:55 PM

Hello all - I recently drove my California registered car down to Cabo and left it at my house their California DMV isn't happy I've canceled my US liability insurance. Of course it doesn't make sense for me to pay US insurance on a vehicle now permanently in Cabo. I have insurance through Baja Bound but now need to solve my registration issue so looking at South Dakota.

Who does everyone use to register their cars in South Dakota?

Thanks everyone for your help.

SFandH - 8-16-2023 at 04:00 PM

There are several threads on the site about this. Here's one:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=68010

Search on "South Dakota" to find more info.

RFClark - 8-16-2023 at 05:34 PM

Email danielle.davis@claycountysd.org or google clay county and call them. You need to copy your DL and SS card then fill out a couple of forms. You can pay on line after they give you a total. They don’t require US insurance.

Bajazly - 8-17-2023 at 06:27 PM

Call these people, super helpful and friendly. In April I went and stayed one night there to get my DL. Everything was a piece of cake... except getting there. The final leg involved a $1600 alright cab ride,

Super simple and pretty cheap to do just rego online/mail but you do need a "residence" there and that is where the people in this link come in.

Talk to them.

https://americasmailbox.com/contact

bajatrailrider - 8-17-2023 at 08:00 PM

SD plates are the way to go my pick ups off road truck. sxs and all dirt bikes. win win

AKgringo - 8-17-2023 at 09:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
In April I went and stayed one night there to get my DL. Everything was a piece of cake... except getting there. The final leg involved a $1600 alright cab ride,

For that kind of money you could have flown round trip to Anchorage and gotten an Alaska address, drivers license and registration. Construction workers have been doing it for decades to get "local hire" preference on some major projects.

The process is very comparable to South Dakota, no smog is required, you can do two years at a time, and AK plates are more interesting than SD.

[Edited on 8-18-2023 by AKgringo]

pauldavidmena - 8-18-2023 at 09:45 AM

In what might be related to the topic of SD plates, I just read this article in an RV magazine that implies that SD might stop allowing non-residents to establish a domicile in the state.

Alan - 8-18-2023 at 10:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
In what might be related to the topic of SD plates, I just read this article in an RV magazine that implies that SD might stop allowing non-residents to establish a domicile in the state.
To my knowledge, registering a vehicle in SD has nothing to do with declaring a residence there and certainly doesn't give one the right to vote in that State.

When I registered my vehicle in SD I completely and honestly explained my situation in that I lived in CA but had a vehicle in BCS and wanted to register it in SD. They jumped at the chance to do that for me.

They were more than happy to sell me fifty cents worth of pot metal with a 10 cent sticker for around $70 per year knowing full well I was never going to drive on and wear out their roads or even contribute one iota of air pollution to their State.

She looked up the registration fee for my specific vehicle, asked me to send them my pink slip along with a check for the amount and then wanted my address where I wanted them to send the plates to.

pauldavidmena - 8-18-2023 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
To my knowledge, registering a vehicle in SD has nothing to do with declaring a residence there and certainly doesn't give one the right to vote in that State.

When I registered my vehicle in SD I completely and honestly explained my situation in that I lived in CA but had a vehicle in BCS and wanted to register it in SD. They jumped at the chance to do that for me.

They were more than happy to sell me fifty cents worth of pot metal with a 10 cent sticker for around $70 per year knowing full well I was never going to drive on and wear out their roads or even contribute one iota of air pollution to their State.

She looked up the registration fee for my specific vehicle, asked me to send them my pink slip along with a check for the amount and then wanted my address where I wanted them to send the plates to.

It's good to know that remains an option. It seems mutually beneficial between the state of SD and those wishing to register their vehicles there.

karenintx - 8-18-2023 at 01:44 PM

We used South Dakota license plates for years and always found the people/ladies in the Clay County office very professional, polite and helpful.

When President AMLO offered the amnesty program allowing a person to get a Mexican license plate without having to return to the US-Mex border, we took advantage of his offer.

Funny story...in order for us to get a MX driver's license we were told since we are both "senior citizens" (over 65) we had to get a "certificate of health" from a physician. So we go to a doctor next to a pharmacy and told him what we needed. I was weighed and my height was recorded, the hubby was only weighed. Each of us received a piece of paper that was signed by the doctor...it read we were healthy. Cost was $140 pesos total. Whiling driving back to the Mexican DMV the hubby said..."guess we were considered healthy since were able to walk into the clinic without assistants"

boe4fun - 8-19-2023 at 09:33 AM

Clay County in SD is the way to go for license plates. If you’re looking to get a South Dakota driver’s license the Escapees RV group can help, but you’ll have to handle the transaction in state.

geraldalexander7 - 8-19-2023 at 06:11 PM

I have 2 vehicles registered in SD.
It was a simple call to Clay County, sent them my docs and they sent me registration and stickers.
I no longer need to travel to Cal to get smog checks.
All business with Clay County is handled by phone or online.
Easy peesy lemon squeesy.
DL, residing and voting in SD are totally separate issues.
I only need registration for my vehicles.
Gerald

stillnbaja - 8-19-2023 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geraldalexander7  
I have 2 vehicles registered in SD.
It was a simple call to Clay County, sent them my docs and they sent me registration and stickers.
I no longer need to travel to Cal to get smog checks.
All business with Clay County is handled by phone or online.
Easy peesy lemon squeesy.
DL, residing and voting in SD are totally separate issues.
I only need registration for my vehicles.
Gerald

I've had mine for a long time I also used a phone call and snail mail but now I've got a car waiting for me up there and was hoping my daughter to have plates, reg, and title waiting for me, now do they require a copy of DL or SSN along with completed app and check? who did it all online? gracias

4x4abc - 8-19-2023 at 06:26 PM

you need a valid US driver license and a US address
nada mas

mtgoat666 - 8-19-2023 at 09:28 PM

The SD registration is a tax/fee dodge for cheap a$$ retirees in Calif, baja, etc.. sD doesn’t like out of state cheap skates because some vote blue.
:P

Alan - 8-20-2023 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The SD registration is a tax/fee dodge for cheap a$$ retirees in Calif, baja, etc.. sD doesn’t like out of state cheap skates because some vote blue.
Do you even have the ability to offer someone a helpful answer?

Lee - 8-20-2023 at 01:26 PM

Do you even have the ability to offer someone a helpful answer?

Some here have heavy judgment about getting SD plates. They think it's a way to beat the system and save money. That might be true sometimes but I don't think about those people. Whatever the reasons, SD helped with the red tape of being an out of state resident dealing with a vehicle that's in Baja (most of the time).

Colorado gave me a waiver for emissions for my Class C one time.

Second time I asked for one, they refused and said they wouldn't allow me to renew my plates without an emissions test and when I said the RV was in Baja, they said I needed to drive it back for the test.

They also said if my RV was in Baja more than Colorado, I needed to register the vehicle there.

All because of an emissions test.

Clay County in SD is the way to go. Rhonda (if she's still there) was very helpful and always asked for her.

Don Pisto - 8-20-2023 at 02:25 PM

worth noting the requirements to import a car into mexico, it had to be built in north america....if you're like me and have a 4runner, thank you south dakota ;)

mtgoat666 - 8-20-2023 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Second time I asked for one, they refused and said they wouldn't allow me to renew my plates without an emissions test and when I said the RV was in Baja, they said I needed to drive it back for the test.

They also said if my RV was in Baja more than Colorado, I needed to register the vehicle there.

CO govt makes sense. If everyone sought repetitive emissions waivers by simply saying the vehicle was out of town, then everyone would avoid fixing their emissions problems.

bajatrailrider - 8-21-2023 at 08:20 AM

Wow talking about a marooon from the the state of no law . Yes sir your one :oof those that voted for them . Made Ca a war zone thank you for your service. Talk about cheats look in the mirror .

PaulW - 8-21-2023 at 09:08 AM

Lee,
You are like many folks living in Baja. And you are an excellent candidate for SD plates and drivers License. If you do then you will have a lot of company.
== ==
You said:
Some here have heavy judgment about getting SD plates. They think it's a way to beat the system and save money. That might be true sometimes but I don't think about those people. Whatever the reasons, SD helped with the red tape of being an out of state resident dealing with a vehicle that's in Baja (most of the time).

Clay County in SD is the way to go. Rhonda (if she's still there) was very helpful and always asked for her.

stillnbaja - 8-25-2023 at 12:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Lee,
You are like many folks living in Baja. And you are an excellent candidate for SD plates and drivers License. If you do then you will have a lot of company.
== ==
You said:

well nothing can be easy, now instead of talking to the nice lady you get a recording directing you to a long online form to fill out...I mean loong. im just trying to transfer plates to a new car and it a struggle (for me anyway):no:

SFandH - 8-25-2023 at 12:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stillnbaja  

well nothing can be easy, now instead of talking to the nice lady you get a recording directing you to a long online form to fill out...I mean loong. im just trying to transfer plates to a new car and it a struggle (for me anyway):no:

Can you post a link to the form?

Udo - 8-25-2023 at 12:38 PM

Originally posted by pauldavidmena

https://www.rvtravel.com/south-dakota-proposes-law-to-end-fu...

Bajazly - 8-25-2023 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stillnbaja  
Lee,
== ==
You said:

https://americasmailbox.com/contact

These people will make your life easy I'm telling you.

[Edited on 8-25-2023 by Bajazly]

Options in Anchorage

AKgringo - 8-25-2023 at 02:02 PM

Not only are there privately owned mail facilities, there are privately owned DMVs (UMV is the business name). They can do all of the functions of the state DMVs, with the exception of driving tests, and probably vehicle inspections if one is needed.

They charge a small fee over the state fees, but it is well worth it for speedy, no appointment service!

stillnbaja - 8-25-2023 at 02:26 PM

Lee,
== ==
You said:

I am getting some assistance from Rhonda, in email form....the spoken word is dead even in SD!:D

mtgoat666 - 8-25-2023 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Not only are there privately owned mail facilities, there are privately owned DMVs (UMV is the business name). They can do all of the functions of the state DMVs, with the exception of driving tests, and probably vehicle inspections if one is needed.

They charge a small fee over the state fees, but it is well worth it for speedy, no appointment service!

If I register my car in AK, can I get on the dole (perm fund)?

AKgringo - 8-25-2023 at 03:01 PM

If I register my car in AK, can I get on the dole (perm fund)?

You can apply after twelve months of residency, but there are restrictions on how much time you can spend out of state.

I quit applying for it about 2007 when I started splitting my time between Anchorage and Nevada county, where most of my Baja trips launched from.

Udo - 8-25-2023 at 03:24 PM

I was just there this last month. There is a difference between the DMV and the vehicle registration in SD. The DMV only issues driver's licenses. The County treasurer's offices handle the vehicle registrations.

One CAN NOT obtain a driver's license without being a resident of the state. The exception being that one stays for the night at a hotel, and the hotels issues a TEMPORARY residence letter that the person then takes to the DMV. At that time, the DMV will issue the DL. However, the DMV requires 2 proofs of residence. The second proof of residence will be your mail box number at the designated mail facility (like americas-mailbox.com).

When I went to the UMV, they still required the two proofs of residency.

digcolnagos - 9-4-2023 at 07:05 PM

I got SD plates a couple years ago in preparation for moving to Baja. Stuff got in the way. Always got a live person on phone at Clay County, did it in July. When I move, figure I'll keep U.S. driver's license and SD registration as long as I have temporary residency. Thought that was cool so long as vehicle stays in Baja. Not sure on insurance.

Don Pisto - 9-4-2023 at 07:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by digcolnagos  
I got SD plates a couple years ago in preparation for moving to Baja. Stuff got in the way. Always got a live person on phone at Clay County, did it in July. When I move, figure I'll keep U.S. driver's license and SD registration as long as I have temporary residency. Thought that was cool so long as vehicle stays in Baja. Not sure on insurance.

mexico insurance or short term u.s. insurance?

surabi - 9-4-2023 at 07:36 PM

You have to have Mexican auto insurance on a vehicle that's in Mexico.

digcolnagos - 9-4-2023 at 07:57 PM

Expect to need three years--boils down to whether it's possible to insure a foreign-plated vehicle for more than a year with TR.

surabi - 9-4-2023 at 08:44 PM

Of course you can. I don't think you can purchase 3 years worth of insurance at one time, but you can insure it for years consecutively as long as you have temporary residency.
I was a temporary resident for 9 years, back when it was known as an FM3, and just renewed my Lewis and Lewis Mexican insurance yearly.

[Edited on 9-5-2023 by surabi]

[Edited on 9-5-2023 by surabi]

Lee - 9-5-2023 at 08:45 AM

I've had a Montana LLC, and an attorney to handle it, for 30 years. Started registering all my vehicles, registered in SD, through the LLC 20 years ago. Works for me. :lol:

Now if California and Colorado started following South Dakota's rule, they'd get my money. For now, it's their loss.:spingrin:

Another CA rip-off....

AKgringo - 9-5-2023 at 08:59 AM

The owner of the Trooper I just bought put it officially in "non-op" status when the 2023 tags were due. Although the vehicle had not been on a public road during the storage period, I had to pay a full year's registration fee plus other transfer costs and only get seven months before I have to renew the tags!

When the title is transferred, why doesn't the new registration start in the month the new owner buys the vehicle?

digcolnagos - 9-5-2023 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
I've had a Montana LLC, and an attorney to handle it, for 30 years. Started registering all my vehicles, registered in SD, through the LLC 20 years ago. Works for me. :lol:

Now if California and Colorado started following South Dakota's rule, they'd get my money. For now, it's their loss.:spingrin:

insurance on a TR card was main concern. If I get PR after three years, figure I'll get a Mexican driver's license and vehicle bought in Mexico. Unless my Tacoma's still running strong and amnesty is available.

Thanks, all.

surabi - 9-5-2023 at 09:54 AM

The owner of the Trooper I just bought put it officially in "non-op" status when the 2023 tags were due. Although the vehicle had not been on a public road during the storage period, I had to pay a full year's registration fee plus other transfer costs and only get seven months before I have to renew the tags!

When the title is transferred, why doesn't the new registration start in the month the new owner buys the vehicle?

Same thing with Mexican registration. When I bought a used Mexican-plated vehicle several years ago, my mechanic came with me to check out the vehicle and looked over all the papers to make sure everything was in order. But what he missed was that the registration had run out a year before. When I went to register it in my name, I had to pay what was owing.

Certainly not fair to the buyer, and if my mechanic or I had caught that, I would have negotiated the price to account for the extra I was going to have to pay.

Bajazly - 9-5-2023 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Certainly not fair to the buyer, and if my mechanic or I had caught that, I would have negotiated the price to account for the extra I was going to have to pay.

How much was the rego for a year for that car?

surabi - 9-5-2023 at 10:24 AM

Can't remember exactly- something like 1000 pesos, as I recall.

US 41 - 9-12-2023 at 06:38 AM

So are South Dakota plates only for American cars that have been brought down from the states or are they also available for cars that have been purchased in Mexico (by US citizens)?

surabi - 9-12-2023 at 09:28 AM

Obviously you can't get plates for a vehicle in one country that is registered in another country unless you legally import it to the country where you want plates from.

surabi - 9-12-2023 at 11:04 AM

A US-plated car that is in Mexico would have had to be "brought down" at some point. Maybe the questioner needs to be more specific.

While it is technically illegal to sell a foreign-plated vehicle that has been brought down from NOB, people do it. I did it myself years ago. However, it was a Canadian-plated vehicle and I drove it back to Canada to get the registration changed over to my name there, with new Canadian plates. Then, when I became a permanent resident and could no longer drive a foreign-plated vehicle, I took it back to Canada, sold it there, and bought a Mexican-plated car.
So it didn't get sold and stay in Mexico, which is Mexico's main concern.

US 41 - 9-12-2023 at 03:31 PM

Oh so you get the South Dakota plates before you cross the border. I didn't know how it worked, I just saw SD plates everywhere and some guy was telling me how they're really easy to get because you don't have to be a SD resident to get an SD plate.

What exactly is the benefit then? Why not just register it in your home state? Emissions tests avoidance maybe?

[Edited on 9-12-2023 by US 41]

Don Pisto - 9-12-2023 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by US 41  
Oh so you get the South Dakota plates before you cross the border. I didn't know how it worked, I just saw SD plates everywhere and some guy was telling me how they're really easy to get because you don't have to be a SD resident to get an SD plate.

What exactly is the benefit then? Why not just register it in your home state? Emissions tests avoidance maybe?

no smog or insurance....and cheaper (at least compared to ca)

[Edited on 9-12-2023 by Don Pisto]

SFandH - 9-12-2023 at 04:45 PM

What exactly is the benefit then?

Registering a car and getting plates without insurance is a big reason to get SD plates.

[Edited on 9-12-2023 by SFandH]

Tioloco - 9-12-2023 at 08:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

no smog or insurance....and cheaper (at least compared to ca)

[Edited on 9-12-2023 by Don Pisto]

Because California is a communist shat hole. Simple enough

Tioloco - 9-12-2023 at 08:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
A US-plated car that is in Mexico would have had to be "brought down" at some point. Maybe the questioner needs to be more specific.

While it is technically illegal to sell a foreign-plated vehicle that has been brought down from NOB, people do it. I did it myself years ago. However, it was a Canadian-plated vehicle and I drove it back to Canada to get the registration changed over to my name there, with new Canadian plates. Then, when I became a permanent resident and could no longer drive a foreign-plated vehicle, I took it back to Canada, sold it there, and bought a Mexican-plated car.
So it didn't get sold and stay in Mexico, which is Mexico's main concern.

So you shat on Mexican law until it was convenient… ehh??

surabi - 9-12-2023 at 08:29 PM

No, there was nothing even slightly "convenient" about driving the car back to Canada after I bought it to get it registered in my name, and nothing "convenient" about driving it back to Canada again 2 years later to sell it when I could no longer legally drive it here. In fact, I could have just used the car, driving it back to Canada, and paid the woman I bought it from, who had moved back to Canada, when I drove it back up there. Really, all I was doing was saving her having to drive it north herself- she wanted to fly.

There was nothing illegal about what I did. The car wasn't brought into Mexico, sold, and left here.

I know these nuances are hard for you to grasp. Plus, the only reason you posted this was to have yet another excuse to write an azzhole post.

[Edited on 9-13-2023 by surabi]

[Edited on 9-13-2023 by surabi]

surabi - 9-13-2023 at 02:32 PM

You are correct- as far as I am aware, the law about selling a temporarily imported car doesn't make a distinction, so I guess technically it is illegal. But no actual money changed hands here. I transferred the money from my Canadian bank account to hers. And the car was completely removed from Mexico a few years later.

The law really exists to prevent people from bringing cars in, selling them here and the vehicles remaining here, perhaps somehow fudging paperwork to get Mexican plates, or like a lot of vehicles I see around my area, having been sold to a Mexican who gets those paper plates given by one of those campesino organizations, like UCD.

Alan - 9-14-2023 at 09:24 AM

At least for Californians, our State once again cuts off its nose to spite it's face. To register my vehicle in CA I would need to drive it back to the State for a smog inspection every two years. That alone would have me driving more miles than I would typically put on during that period. It also requires me to maintain CA insurance even though the car would never be driven there.

It is not an attempt to avoid having insurance as someone suggested. I maintain a Mexican insurance policy as required by Mexican law. It just makes no sense to more than double the miles I drive just for a smog check. I can't see that as helping the environment.

Someone may point out that the California Vehicle Code provides an exemption to smog checks for vehicles in Mexico unless it is in Tijuana, Tecate or Ensenada. This is true. Unfortunately, several DMV offices still won't accept that. Sure, I could go to court to prove I am eligible for this exemption but why? Just so I can pay registration fees that are at least 3X's higher and maintain a CA insurance policy that I can never make a claim on? Additionally, I would have to go to a DMV office in person, annually to renew my exemption.

If South Dakota is willing to sell me plates that probably cost them about 50 cents of pot metal and a 10 cent sticker each year, knowing full well that I will never pollute their air or cause any wear to their road, then I am happy to support them:lol:

SFandH - 9-14-2023 at 09:33 AM

It is not an attempt to avoid having insurance as someone suggested.

I mentioned you can register and get plates without insurance. I didn't use the word avoid. My point is you don't need to buy US insurance you don't need if the car is in Mexico where only Mexican insurance is needed.

[Edited on 9-14-2023 by SFandH]

SFandH - 9-14-2023 at 09:40 AM

Is it true that if you have South Dakota plates on a car that lives in Mexico with only Mexican insurance and you want to drive into the United States, you can stop at OXXO, or other places, to buy insurance that will cover you in the US for the time you are there?

Don Pisto - 9-14-2023 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Is it true that if you have South Dakota plates on a car that lives in Mexico with only Mexican insurance and you want to drive into the United States, you can stop at OXXO, or other places, to buy insurance that will cover you in the US for the time you are there?

when I cross I stop at my local insurance company to buy temp u.s. insurance from a company called National Unity. they only offer liability and only available for a three week term but if need be you can call and renew the policy. a 3 week policy is about 50 bucks. im sure it's chit insurance but makes you legal. never seen it sold anywhere other than local insurance agents

[Edited on 9-14-2023 by Don Pisto]

pacificobob - 4-16-2024 at 06:10 PM

Spend 1 night in the state , get a drivers license, get plates for your rig,register to vote , hire a mailbox.
Easily done i a half day.

[Edited on 4-17-2024 by pacificobob]

RFClark - 4-16-2024 at 11:00 PM

US 41,

You can’t buy a Mexican vehicle and register it in SD from Mexico. You would first need to Import it into the US legally.

Why SD? It’s cheeper and easer. US insurance is cheeper. Most people use Clay County in SD. The folks there are pleasant to deal with and helpful. You do need to go there for at least a day to get a DL. Most use America’s Mail Box in Box Elder, SD. They are a one stop shop for everything including US insurance.

digcolnagos - 4-17-2024 at 12:42 PM

Quick (I hope) question.

It's my understanding that folks holding permanent residency can't legally drive a U.S.-plated/titled car, but you can with temporary residency.

Is that right?

surabi - 4-17-2024 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by digcolnagos  
Quick (I hope) question.

It's my understanding that folks holding permanent residency can't legally drive a U.S.-plated/titled car, but you can with temporary residency.

Is that right?

Correct. However, "U.S. plated" is irrelevant. Can't drive any foreign plated car.