Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Solo Motorcycle Ride to Cabo
Bwk94510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 08:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Chup  
Quote: Originally posted by Bwk94510  
Hello all - I’m contemplating a solo motorcycle ride from San Francisco CA to Cabo sometime next spring. I’ve been to Mexico a number of times but always fly. Im building a house in Cabo and want to bring an Adventure bike (KTM 390) down to leave there so I have it to ride when I’m staying there. My next plan is a road trip with my teenage son to bring a car down but first wanted to start with riding my motorcycle down for a little mid-life adventure (l’m 54 so a little late for mid-life ;) My parents used to drive down to Cabo every year in the 1970’s - camping on the beaches along the way. My plan is to stay in motel/hotels for the comfort factor. But otherwise want to take 5 nights to get from the boarder to Cabo so I’ll have time to check out the towns / sights along the way.

Love to hear anyone’s thoughts on my idea. Especially interested to hear perspective of those who have ridden motorcycles in Baja. Open to any tips / ideas. I’ve read many of the posted over the last couple years in the forum.

Thanks!

Sounds like a fun trip. But, that bike won't be a true "adventure" bike. Its #380 wet. Then you and your riding gear. Doesn't leave too much for carrying anything beyond a backpack/rack with limited options for tent/etc IF that's what you are thinking about.

Otherwise, if it's just you and some minor carry alongs on the bike, and you stay on the "road" you should be fine.

Cheers

My plan is to stay in hotel/motels - so no camping gear needed. I ride an R6 and was looking for an adventure bike that I can leave at my house in Mexico / something that’s easy/fun to ride and doesn’t break the bank. But also off-road capable - at least for the Mexican roads and some beach/dirt time. What would you suggest as a better bike that meets those objectives?

Thanks.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 08:28 PM

"Adventure" bike is unfortunately a marketing term. Adventure riding is an attitude which can be operationalized on ANY moto.

Ride wut you brung :coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
Bwk94510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
"Adventure" bike is unfortunately a marketing term. Adventure riding is an attitude which can be operationalized on ANY moto.

Well said 👍👍
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 08:41 PM

Well said 👍👍

You should do it like Motged did once....make some guy in a Kia follow you along the way with a gas can, ice chest and a change of clothes when you need it!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 08:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Well said 👍👍

You should do it like Motged did once....make some guy in a Kia follow you along the way with a gas can, ice chest and a change of clothes when you need it!

But make sure the Kia driver is crazy/bold enough ro drive through a 3 foot deep watercrossing, get momentarily high-centered on a boulder in there before grunting his way to the soft sand track on the other side .... he also needs to have a dog that looks like a maneater but behaves like a kitten. ;)

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 08:55 PM

If the timing works right, I am willing to be a chase vehicle again, Oh, and the dog has filled out a bit since that trip!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 11:02 AM

My plan is to stay in hotel/motels - so no camping gear needed. I ride an R6 and was looking for an adventure bike that I can leave at my house in Mexico / something that’s easy/fun to ride and doesn’t break the bank. But also off-road capable - at least for the Mexican roads and some beach/dirt time. What would you suggest as a better bike that meets those objectives?

Thanks. [/rquote]

I too have been giving this some thought. I intend to bring down an older not too pretty motorbike and alter it a bit to meet my needs when I'm down there. As I have an older kz440 ltd I am leaning towards that. Swapping out the seat for a flatter one to give me a bit more height and the knobbiest tires i can get on it should work. Those old Japanese twins are pretty robust and easy to maintain without all the modern bells and whistles. From my experience with the roads down there, speed is not an issue.

If you wanna be extremely adventurous, several friends of mine bought new Honda 150 or 175's in Santiago Chile, rode them with full camping gear down to Tierra Del Fuego and returned up here to Canada with them without any major issues. A bit small for that use for my tastes.

[Edited on 7-26-2021 by JDCanuck]

[Edited on 7-26-2021 by JDCanuck]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 11:09 AM

i have a '02 DRZ400 that has >20k Mexican miles on it. it has been rock solid reliable for nearly 20 years. buy a large fuel tank and go!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 11:54 AM
Mexican Italika's

Anyone here have any experience with the Italika Adventure bikes? I think the size i saw down there was 250cc equipped with metal side bags. Seemed like a decent size/weight and might be better than the hassles with importing. The (I think it was a 185) off road style looked a bit too lightweight.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 01:40 PM

They drive them flat out in Baja 24/7 would I nooo. Too boring and slow for mis adventure bike
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 01:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i have a '02 DRZ400 that has >20k Mexican miles on it. it has been rock solid reliable for nearly 20 years. buy a large fuel tank and go!

And make sure to get rid of the stock fuel petc-ck. Unless you want a crankcase full of gas. The vacuum petc-cks on those bikes are a big point of failure. I've seen a lot DRZ400s the last couple years, as a buddy buys and sells them on CL and I fix them for him. Other than that, very solid bikes not hard to work on.

John

[Edited on 7-26-2021 by John Harper]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 02:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

And make sure to get rid of the stock fuel petc-ck. Unless you want a crankcase full of gas. The vacuum petc-cks on those bikes are a big point of failure. I've seen a lot DRZ400s the last couple years, as a buddy buys and sells them on CL and I fix them for him. Other than that, very solid bikes not hard to work on.

John

good point john. i believe i used a fuel valve from a Yamaha. i still keep it closed when it not running.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

good point john. i believe i used a fuel valve from a Yamaha. i still keep it closed when it not running.

Yes, that's what we've been using as well. Great bikes for sure!

John
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 03:04 PM

Drz is great bike super reliable witch I can say not like other newer bikes .
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 03:26 PM

DRZs are frequently available on san Diego craigslist.
Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 03:42 PM

so the plan is to ride the R6 down and then look for beater to just dick around on?

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 06:22 PM

Point South, gas and go....
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 06:36 PM

From what I understand yes reliable but not great off road .
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 06:48 PM

If you haven't already, you might want to check out "adventure rider" forum. Plenty of trip reports with pics and advice. You might see some pictures of places or routes that strikes your fancy. I think a key decision point is how much dirt do you plan to do on the way down? Remember the heat. I did the length of Baja in ~late April on a KTm 990. WE had planned to do a bunch of dirt side excursions but just found it to be too hot. Not much shade in Baha. If we pulled over to rest we started to sweat to death. Anyway, in the end the heat dictated that we largely slabbed and hauled butt straight to Cabo. It was an unusually hot April. For me, being able to go Hwy5 has been a game changer. I hate all of that traffic, congestion, and traffic lights over on the pacific side.

Steve
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 06:55 PM

I owned a DRZ from new to about 10K miles. It was great! Reliable, cheap, electric start, and water cooled. The thought of riding one the length baja on that skinny seat gives me an aching butt and aching lower back. I think it would be perfect once you got down there though.

These are fun discussions.

Steve
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.