BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: What's the story on the beach rock art?
DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2022 at 11:53 AM
What's the story on the beach rock art?

I've got this on my list of spots to visit along this stretch of coast. Am I right in my belief that these are all from The Wall area?
Anybody know the story? I'd heard that the arches are built by a guy down there, I'm assuming the mosaics may be others adding to the vibe?

Rock Art Baja II.jpg - 102kB Rock Art Baja III.jpg - 189kB Rock Art Baja I.png - 151kB
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2022 at 08:45 AM

Where is it located. If your talking about the wall south of Pancho's I could not find a way to drive to it and the beach does not look like what you show in your pictures.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-4-2022 at 08:59 AM

"The Wall" (surfer's code name for the location) is Punta Rosarito, south of Santa Rosalillita and north of El Tomatal. It is almost perfectly opposite of the mystery wall, on the gulf coast south of Pancho's San Rafael.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2022 at 09:04 AM

OK, thanks.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-4-2022 at 09:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DosMars  
I've got this on my list of spots to visit along this stretch of coast. Am I right in my belief that these are all from The Wall area?
Anybody know the story? I'd heard that the arches are built by a guy down there, I'm assuming the mosaics may be others adding to the vibe?

I have seen this rock art and others in many places. It starts with one person with time and energy and desire to stack rocks. Then subsequent visitors see first sculpture and want to make their own.
I did not see this in the 80s. It appears to have really taken off in past few decades.
I consider it the same as paint graffiti. Natural areas should not be spoiled by man-made structures. The sense of discovery is ruined when everywhere you go has natural landforms spoiled by man-made structures.
Let everyone experience nature with the sense that they are the first visitor, and seeing wilderness.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 6-4-2022 at 09:27 AM

they're all about blocking the relentless winds, some just fancier than others:coolup:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-4-2022 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I have seen this rock art and others in many places. It starts with one person with time and energy and desire to stack rocks. Then subsequent visitors see first sculpture and want to make their own.
I did not see this in the 80s. It appears to have really taken off in past few decades.
I consider it the same as paint graffiti. Natural areas should not be spoiled by man-made structures. The sense of discovery is ruined when everywhere you go has natural landforms spoiled by man-made structures.
Let everyone experience nature with the sense that they are the first visitor, and seeing wilderness.

Stay away from Egypt... you will be sorely hurt how the ancients built pyramids and temples on such a lovely desert! :lol:

Not the same thing. Don’t be obtuse, Dk.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2022 at 12:16 PM

It started as a way to block the wind and morphed into a way to pass the time when the swell is flat or its too blown out to surf.

In recent years a whole new level of artistic flare has been introduced which has really been neat to see. There are a lot of talented people in this world, I'm glad they are willing to share their creations.
DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2022 at 10:02 PM

"The Wall" (surfer's code name for the location) is Punta Rosarito, south of Santa Rosalillita and north of El Tomatal. It is almost perfectly opposite of the mystery wall, on the gulf coast south of Pancho's San Rafael.

Is one of these photos from south of Pancho's? Another stretch of beach I've been meaning to visit...

If there's a dirt road there, I figure I'm not the first one there. If there's a super cool pile of rocks, it sets it apart from the rest of the spots I've explored.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2022 at 06:57 AM

Is one of these photos from south of Pancho's? Another stretch of beach I've been meaning to visit...

If there's a dirt road there, I figure I'm not the first one there. If there's a super cool pile of rocks, it sets it apart from the rest of the spots I've explored.

Use Google Earth to see the wall south of Pancho's former home. No road last time I looked. Photos have been posted here, including one taken from a boat.
Another point of interest is the hot spring even closer to Pancho's along the coast. It was discovered by Padre Consag on his 1747 sea expedition to the Colorado River. No road there, either... but I think it is less than a mile walk from the road?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2022 at 10:51 AM

Someone on Nomad used a boat to get to the wall south of Pancho's. It was post here a few years ago when we were discussing it. I think by google earth it's about 2.5 miles from the road.
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 6-5-2022 at 11:18 AM

The Wall about 5 miles on the water south of Pancho's.

IMG_4052.jpg - 247kB

IMG_6665.jpg - 261kB

About 6 feet tall with a flat top a couple feet wide.

IMG_6663.jpg - 226kB

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2022 at 12:52 PM

Thanks for posting!

DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 08:02 AM

Cool! That's a pretty impressive feat of wall building. What's the story on that one?

Wall South of Panchos.jpg - 116kB
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 09:27 AM

According to legend, the rock walls were used the herd rabbits. The indigenous would utilize a pair of rocks called "clappers" to frighten the rabbits to the precipice of a cliff where they would leap to their deaths. The ensuing feast was called aja jonjon (feast of the rabbits)
surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 11:41 AM

Don Pisto you are correct sir, and both times. The Wall is one windy place. At times.

Nothing to hide from other than inside your truck or vans and what fun is that?

Dry stacking rocks for any kind of wind block is time well spent for you and your sanity.

I thought I saw one time a full size 'woven' horse out of pieces of driftwood at the same beach that was as creative as some of these rock walls at the Wall.

Gotta love the down time and the mothers of invention they can bring forward.
Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 11:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
Don Pisto you are correct sir, and both times. The Wall is one windy place. At times.

Nothing to hide from other than inside your truck or vans and what fun is that?

Dry stacking rocks for any kind of wind block is time well spent for you and your sanity.

I thought I saw one time a full size 'woven' horse out of pieces of driftwood at the same beach that was as creative as some of these rock walls at the Wall.

Gotta love the down time and the mothers of invention they can bring forward.

:coolup: im thinking a cool palapa bar!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 03:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

It's nothing like paint graffiti. Paint defaces things, is usually ugly, and has to be removed.
Humans have been moving rocks around since time immemorial. Stacking rocks harms no one and nothing. And it's extremely unusual not to see signs of humans almost anywhere. So people do some cool artistic stacking of rocks on a beach- the plastic garbage that washes up on almost all beaches is 100 times more unnatural.

Do you also object to the pyramids, the ancient ruin sites, the ancient stacked rock walls all over the world?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 04:16 PM

LOL... see the flippant reply he made when I mentioned the pyramids to the goat, above!

Just more typical 'rules for thee don't apply to me' stuff from him.

Lance S.
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 04:30 PM

I suspect the mystery walls at Las Animas and farther south represent late Cochimi cultural adaptation. They were adapting Jesuit construction methods to Cochimi ceremony. The one on the coast is taller than it needs to be for livestock wouldn't you think?
They could be a local variation of the geoglyphs around Agua Dulce. They are all on slopes and sometimes appear in pairs as at Las Animas. There is actually an outlying pair of those Agua Dulce style geoglyphs just inland from Bahia de Los Angeles.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.