BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What's the Deal With San Quintin?
BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2023 at 10:55 AM
What's the Deal With San Quintin?

We are pretty comfortable traveling in Baja and don't generally worry about crime. However, it seems anytime I read about San Quintin, someone says to avoid it or to never camp on the beach. We are planning a few days there next month to hang out on the beach, fish, and hike some volcanos. Is there any more risk than normal to drive my 4x4 to a secluded spot on the beach and hang out all day? We will be staying at a hotel at night.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-14-2023 at 04:01 PM

it is a math thing
in a small village there is maybe one thief
in a large place there are many thieves

for that I would never camp new large places in Baja
especially not of your lights at night can be seen for far
out of sight you have a chance

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-14-2023 at 05:08 PM

A helpful rule is to camp at a place that requires four-wheel-drive to access. Thieves like good roads in order to grab and run.

If you don't have four-wheel-drive or a location that requires it, use one of the popular campgrounds that have security.
On or near the beach are Cielito Lindo (Km. 11+ 3 mi), El Pabellon (Km. 16 + 1.2 mi), Fidel's El Pabellon (Km. 16.5 + 1.3 mi), Playa El Socorro (Km. 25.5) is a bit south of the San Quintín area but advertises camping.

Not near the beach but very secure with full hookups near Bahía San Quintín is Los Olivos (Km. 1.5 + 1 mi).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2023 at 09:21 PM

I guess I wasn't very clear in my initial post. We WILL NOT be camping. We are going to stay in a hotel. However, we do intend to spend the days finding secluded beaches to hang out and fish. Is San Quintin so bad that we need to worry about being alone on the beaches well off the beaten path or leaving the truck to hike a volcano? Any problems with just generally hanging around town?

I understand the numbers thing, but San Felipe is what, maybe 4x bigger than San Quintin, and I've never felt unsafe there.

I only mentioned camping because I have read so many people say it wasn't safe to beach camp at San Quintin. I've never heard such a negative consensus on safety anywhere South of the border towns.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2023 at 09:25 AM

Without looking at Google, I am going to say the San Quintín population is much bigger than San Felipe. The bigger city is actually named Lázaro Cárdenas, next to San Quintín city. There are other towns nearby in the valley and the full municipality but I am not considering all that.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2023 at 11:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Without looking at Google, I am going to say the San Quintín population is much bigger than San Felipe. The bigger city is actually named Lázaro Cárdenas, next to San Quintín city. There are other towns nearby in the valley and the full municipality but I am not considering all that.

Good point David, I guess I wasn't considering the entire area's population.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2023 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeachSeeker  
I guess I wasn't very clear in my initial post. We WILL NOT be camping. We are going to stay in a hotel. However, we do intend to spend the days finding secluded beaches to hang out and fish. Is San Quintin so bad that we need to worry about being alone on the beaches well off the beaten path or leaving the truck to hike a volcano? Any problems with just generally hanging around town?

I understand the numbers thing, but San Felipe is what, maybe 4x bigger than San Quintin, and I've never felt unsafe there.

I only mentioned camping because I have read so many people say it wasn't safe to beach camp at San Quintin. I've never heard such a negative consensus on safety anywhere South of the border towns.

When I had my truck camper, I sometimes stayed a bit south of town at Cielto Lindo, not inside the gate but beside it by the bar. There is a road right there that goes out to the beach. Sometimes it was busy in the early evening and for a few hours into the night with locals going out to the beach. A young crowd probably going out to party, mostly guys driving fast. Some rough looking characters. That beach, which is along Bahia Santa Maria, has a bad reputation. I wouldn't stay out there at night. Daytime is OK though, and there are/were a lot of sand dollars to collect - by the shovel full.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2023 at 03:13 PM
SQ

We stay at the Old Mill or Don Eddies on the bay, both are safe and on the bay. From there, a graded (bit rocky/bumpy) road out to the oyster farms is a great ride. The volcanoes are nearby. Its been awhile since I've been out to the beaches on the northern peninsula but the commercial calmers kept a pretty close watch on things out there. Some soft sand and 4x4 necessary to make it to the south end of the point. K and M sportfishing is a great contact. They surf all the beaches in the SQ area. Saludos
tbnoble
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2023 at 06:45 PM

I always find it interesting when people post about an area where I live, in Socorrito south of San Quintin, and I don't recognize what they are talking about. We have lived here for 7 years now full time and there are times I forget to lock my car in the driveway or look for someone lurking around. I have no doubt there are times and places to stay away from, but that is anywhere, but I ride my mtb bike out in the mountains east of here, swim in the ocean. My wife drives to town by herself and I don't really worry.
Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 8-15-2023 at 07:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tbnoble  
I always find it interesting when people post about an area where I live, in Socorrito south of San Quintin, and I don't recognize what they are talking about. We have lived here for 7 years now full time and there are times I forget to lock my car in the driveway or look for someone lurking around. I have no doubt there are times and places to stay away from, but that is anywhere, but I ride my mtb bike out in the mountains east of here, swim in the ocean. My wife drives to town by herself and I don't really worry.

I get what you're saying but the area has seen some bad press over the years, the slain couple thrown down a well, baja gringo attack, the campers bludgeoned in their sleeping bags camped on the beach, the thefts in the camp grounds south of SQ. there's a reason some folks are wary.

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2023 at 08:21 AM

My friend and his other friend once took MDMA on the beach in San Quintin, camping in their VW bus and had the greatest evening of their lives..........ENJOY!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2023 at 08:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
My friend and his other friend once took MDMA on the beach in San Quintin, camping in their VW bus and had the greatest evening of their lives..........ENJOY!

What is MDMA?

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-16-2023 at 10:02 AM

[?]

What is MDMA?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2023 at 10:27 AM

What is MDMA?

A recreational psychedelic stimulant. "Ecstasy" or "Molly". Usually associated with all-night rave parties, but equally good with nature on a tranquil Baja beach :bounce:
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2023 at 11:35 AM

Way back in the 1980's I camped at a little campground on the beach next to Cielito Lindo. It was pismo clam heaven. Upon returning many years later the campground was closed and abandoned. The people at Cielito Lindo said it was unsafe to camp there due to "gangs".
BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2023 at 11:52 AM

Thanks for the info guys. It sounds about as I suspected. Everything worth doing has a little risk, but it doesn't seem like tourists are getting robbed in broad daylight minding their own business.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.