Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Starlink credit card payment declined
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2023 at 09:12 AM
Starlink credit card payment declined

A friend is trying to sign up for a Starlink account but his credit cards keep getting declined. Not by the bank but by Starlink/SpaceX. It seems that Starlink doesn't want to use a payment method that is not based in the country where the account is located.
One suggestion of a solution is to use a Mexican prepaid credit card. Are there any requirments to get a prepaid card or can anyone get one from say Oxxo or Walmart?

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 12-10-2023 at 09:53 AM

Oxxo offers the Saldazo Debit Card which is prepaid and works through Citibanamex:

https://www.oxxo.com/saldazo

KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2023 at 10:21 AM

I have used my US based Visa for my SL Mex payments for 2 years . Unless SL has some new policy on card origin all you should have to do is call the CC company and tell them to allow usage in Mex for recurring monthly SL payments. In Nov. however , I did receive a note from SL that CC was declined and had to call my company again. They said they were just being extra vigilant during the holidays even though it was still on file for Mex usage . Probably an algorithm thing.
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2023 at 10:43 AM

We also had to get the Oxxo pre paid, after our card was declined by
Star Link, 2 months ago! seems to work fine.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 12-10-2023 at 11:19 AM

This month our RV StarLink that we use in BCS was declined for the 1st time. I used a different debt card and it went through. So probably a software issue at StarLink.

In other interesting StarLink news. If anyone else has had issues getting things like cloud automation or reporting weather stations on the 2.4Ghz internet band to work via SL, here’s a possible solution. Split your SL wifi or if that doesn’t fix it try a 3rd party router.

Because of our metal walls, we run a 4 point mesh system and just renaming the 5Ghz channel solved our problem.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2023 at 11:58 AM

This is an email a friend in Mulege received from Starlink support -

Our system will allow all of our customers to use any cards for their first initial kit order for convenience purpose and this authorization is going to last for a while and that's why you might be able to use your US issued card to pay for your account before without any issues.
Later when it is time for our system to reauthorize the payment method on file or when customers try to change the payment method on file, that's when our system is going to detect the "foreign cards" and starting to reject it.
The reason why you are not able to update the payment method on file to the new card is because your card was issued in US but you are trying to pay for an account in Mexico. The only solution for this is to use a card that was issued in Mexico to pay for your account.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2023 at 12:13 PM

Interesting! We’ve used a US debit card to pay for our Mexican StarLink in San Felipe for over a year. Our decline this month was on the US system and a US card!
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2023 at 01:13 PM

No problem with my usaa card and starlink down here. could it be a vpn thing?
twogringos
Nomad

Mood: I feel more like I do now than I ever have before

[*] posted on 12-11-2023 at 07:39 AM

We are still using the original US card, but Canadian friends have already encountered this problem. Their easy solution was to use ALBO, which gives you a Mexican debit card. You can fill ALBO with Paypal (Xoom) or WISE. Another MX debit card solution is MERCADO PAGO.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 12-11-2023 at 08:09 AM

Could it be the bank charges that they are not wanting to eat?

I had a run-in here in Arizona with TMobile over my CitiBank card
They no longer offer discounts and preferred status if you use a credit card.
We had to arrange direct debit from my bank account
All because of the fees that they will not pay.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2023 at 09:22 AM

Saw a note on facebook that said it was his VPN.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-11-2023 at 06:17 PM

Odd, we just had our most recent charge go through today on a Starlink near La Paz, and on a Canadian credit card. There seems to be no consistent treatment of payments?

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2023 at 04:03 PM

Thanks for all responses, for my friend it looks like the easiest for him is to get the prepaid Oxxo card and add to it electronically on line. I'm thinking that maybe I should get a card also so that if they decline my existing card in the future I have a back up Mexican card. Elon/Starlink is a hard company to do business with. When and if Jeff Bezos gets his internet running I'll look very closely at switching over. I don't quite understand why they would change policies and make it harder for existing customers to pay their bill.
Amazons customer service is very good and maybe their internet will be as customer friendly.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2023 at 04:24 PM

While Bezos and Musk are both obscenely wealthy, Bezos seems to be a better businessman with an understanding of customer relations that Musk is too arrogant to muster.
When Amazon first started, they only sold books. Bezos asked customers what other products they would like Amazon to make available, and the answer was essentially "everything". So he listened to his customers. And the hassle-free return policies also attract and keep customers.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2023 at 04:55 PM

If Bezos was really a “better businessman” he wouldn’t have signed up with ULA to launch his satellites and have to be dragged kicking and screaming to SpaceX which is the only operation that runs a real Space Delivery Business! Just like UPS! (On the ground)

BTW StarLink 4K+ satellites - Amazon 2!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2023 at 05:13 PM

There are a lot of factors involved in being a good businessman. Both Musk and Bezos treat their workers like chit, which may be good for their bank accounts, but isn't good for business as they can lose customers who don't like to support businesses that don't show respect for their employees.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2023 at 06:07 PM

Don’t know about the box packers who work for Amazon, the rocket scientists are standing in line to work for SpaceX. That would be because unlike the government and their contractors (ULA, NASA, etc.) SpaceX is actually getting things done. In fact, SpaceX is a real space trucking Co and the Falcon9 is the “model T” of space.Boeing and ULA are cost plus government contractors. Emphasis on the “Cost” part.

It’s about delivering the mail not feelings!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2023 at 06:52 PM

Don't know why you right-wingers always feel the need to sing Musk's praises. I guess you are unaware that Musk instantly fired 30% of the Twitter employees when he took over, including the ones who were experienced in blocking out hate speech? And that he has lost tons of advertisers who don't want to associated with his hate-speech ridden platform, nor his amplification of rascist and anti-semitic posts.
Or that the X employees were instantly expected to work longer hours for no more pay and had to start providing their own toilet paper, as if the billionnaire can't afford TP.

But I guess as long as he impresses you with his space games, you don't care about any of the rest.

[Edited on 12-14-2023 by surabi]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2023 at 11:11 PM

I don’t do “X”. Personally I would have closed it down and fired the lot. That said the original point was whether Musk or Bezos is the better businessman.

Bazos’s company sells imported merchandise. Currently it (Amazon) is in serious legal difficulties for marketing a video camcorder built into a clothing hook and suggesting placing it in bathrooms. A minor was recorded by someone who followed Amazon’s suggestion. The case has very serious ramifications because Amazon not a 3rd party did the marketing and the suggested use.

Your characterization of SpaceX and StarLink as “space games” is reminiscent of those prior to WW2 who viewed aircraft and aircraft carriers as useless compared to capital ships. Since 12/7 is just passed it’s worth remembering how that turned out not to be the case. In fact practically every capital ship sunk in the pacific in ‘41-42 was sunk by carrier aviation.

Space X’s technology is as important an advance today as aircraft flying from carriers was back then.

On political beliefs, you have no idea what mine are past who I won’t support. That said, if you bother to vote rather than just carp I would guess you probably vote NDP.

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2023 at 03:42 PM

Another thread goes off the rails with stupid political fights.

Just checked our Citibank and looks like this month's charge went through successfully. I guess I will try my Intercam debit Visa if it stops working.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.