Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alfonsinas Beach Without Staying There
BeachSeeker
Junior Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 12:58 PM
Alfonsinas Beach Without Staying There

Does anyone have any info on accessing the beach near Alfonsinas without staying at the hotel or owning one of the houses? Although I've been to Gonzaga a thousand times, only once have we ever been to Alfonsinas, and only for a few minutes.

I'd really like to shore fish for an hour or two on that beach trying to get some schooly yellows or corvina. Can I just tell the guard we want to go to the beach? If we go have lunch, will they hassle us if we fish for a bit by the houses? Thanks!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 01:05 PM

If you stay on Hwy 5 just a bit south of the Alfonsinas turnoff, you can turn off the highway toward Punta Final and find a place to cut down to the beach and fish til your hearts content.

Otherwise, I believe you will be fine buying lunch at Alfonsinas and using their beach to fish from.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 02:26 PM

The beach is public in Mexico. Fish your heart out! Park by the east end of the Rancho Grande runway or near the first home, unless you want to fish by the hotel. There are a couple of Gonzaga Bay Facebook groups you can ask on.
Next time I am on them, I will ask for you!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BeachSeeker
Junior Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 02:38 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I've fished a lot of the beach from Rancho Grande to Punta Final. The fishing is best between Rancho Grande and Alfonsinas. I'm not bringing my kayak this trip, so I wanted to get to the better beach by land.

I'm thinking I'll just tell the guard we're going for lunch, then stop to fish before getting to Alfonsinas.
stillnbaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeachSeeker  
Thanks for the info guys. I've fished a lot of the beach from Rancho Grande to Punta Final. The fishing is best between Rancho Grande and Alfonsinas. I'm not bringing my kayak this trip, so I wanted to get to the better beach by land.

I'm thinking I'll just tell the guard we're going for lunch, then stop to fish before getting to Alfonsinas.

yup you know the drill...hammer that buoy line!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2024 at 08:48 AM

Been getting replies on the Gonzaga Facebook pages. Yes, tell the guard near the gas station that you are going to the restaurant and then go fishing. Another said you could go to Rancho Grande and pay a day use fee.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BeachSeeker
Junior Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-7-2024 at 02:37 PM

Thanks David. I’m trying to get further North along the beach than Rancho Grande, and if I’m remembering correctly, there are rocks or something blocking the beach at the end of RG. I’ve made my way past that guard before. I’ll likely just go that route. Thanks.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2024 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeachSeeker  
Thanks David. I’m trying to get further North along the beach than Rancho Grande, and if I’m remembering correctly, there are rocks or something blocking the beach at the end of RG. I’ve made my way past that guard before. I’ll likely just go that route. Thanks.

Where you hoping to park, near or on the beach?
Here is a photo from 2011 that shows the rock seawall at the end of the Rancho Grande runway, looking towards Alfonsina's:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.