BajaNomad

Oasis Hotel Loreto

marla - 4-18-2005 at 05:01 PM

We just spent a week at this hotel and really liked it. It is owned by a Mexican family that lives on the premises. We met many people who come back there every year. It was built in the 60s and has a lot of rustic rock work. The rooms have not had their decor updated in that time, it seems, but they were pleasant and everything was very nicely maintained. We paid $99 a night for a week's stay, with one night free. For that we got a HUGE room so big we put four beds into it that slept five people. And still had room left over. These were the original rooms, there is a newer part with much smaller rooms. The bathroom had a tiled shower and a toilet. The sink was in the main bedroom. The room opened out onto a pleasant veranda with a Sea of Cortez view. The sandy beach was yucky brown sand that feels more like dirt--and I understand they had to have that trucked in. The staff was super friendly. The pool is mid sized and very pleasant and not pretentious. You could sit out and order lunch there. There was a shade palapa. You can walk to town in about four blocks. The restaurant was pretty bad, I definitely would not do the American plan they offer. It's not only a bad deal financially but the dinners were sub-par. Breakfasts and lunches were fine but the dinners were very basic and not very good. You could do much better in town. A lot of anglers stay there. It was great with kids. I understand that the current manager, Ana Gloria, is the daughter of the founder and not that interested in the property however it is beautifully maintained and friendly and that is what matters to me. Too bad the owner of Cielito Lindo in San Quintin can't take a few lessons there. Anyway we plan to go back and stay there again!