BajaNomad

baja bug?

eetdrt88 - 4-23-2005 at 10:26 AM

i want to make a regular VW bug a baja bug,anybody ever attempted this in nomad land???

woody with a view - 4-23-2005 at 10:34 AM

have had both, but all three came in that state. i'm sure you only have to remove the fenders and hoods, re-attach plasctic or fiberglass fenders. get some shocks and an engine cage, maybe a new exhaust and you're there.

and tires...

bajaloco - 4-23-2005 at 11:53 AM

I've done it but in was many years back. You need to start with a VW with IRS rear suspension, not swing axel. You can raise the rear torsion and not change the camber of the wheels on an IRS suspension. The front end will need to be lifted also. There is some body cutting involved on both the front and rear of the car. It all depends on what you want, one piece front end, ect. Go out and pick up a VW magazine and maybe to a VW show and go from there. It also depends on how handy you are. A 1969 VW is the earliest you should use.

Neal Johns - 4-23-2005 at 09:32 PM

You need this used book (about $10 bucks) from:
http://shorterlink.com/?JVK14A

Hibbard, Jeff
BAJA BUGS & BUGGIES - How to Prepare VW-based Cars for Off-road Fun and Racing. Engine & Transaxle Modes. Suspension & Steering Mods. Roll Bars, Cages & Skip Plates. Tires, Wheels & Brakes. Driving Lights & Electrical Tips. Driving & Safety Tips.
Los Angeles, CA: HP Books, 1986 Soft Cover. Good. 8 1/2 x 11". pp160.

surfer jim - 4-24-2005 at 08:25 AM

did this 25 years ago....what year bug?......I think you would be MUCH better off buying something already built...they are cheap...and you can just go drive it....lots of work and $$$$ involved and you will NEVER be finished as there is always something else that needs to be changed/improved.....tell us more about what you want to have when you are done...and I suggest you go see a few finished vehicles that you like and see what people have done to them....

bajalou - 4-24-2005 at 08:37 AM

Baja bugs, desert rails and other off road VW based toys work great but need maintance.
My saying is "If it doesn't need fixed, its just been parked in the garage" If you use them off road, ya gotta keep them up.

One of the first things you have to learn is to "Tighten your nuts"

Bajaddict - 4-24-2005 at 10:40 AM

I've had a couple of Baja Bugs.... Johnny's Speed and Chrome in Buena Park is a good resource - just bring money! They are fun, but involve a lot of wrenching. For the $ involved, I'd just go buy a beater Tacoma.

Desertbull - 5-5-2005 at 06:49 PM

We built a cool little Baja Bug last year...you can visit it at
The Car named El Robi

Just another Baja Bug built for fun!:biggrin:

Bajaddict

Mexray - 5-5-2005 at 06:58 PM

Johnny's Speed & Chrome...now there's a name from the past...have spent a small fortune there years ago during my Sand Rail, buggie, and Baja Bug years!

Are they still in business - I remember you could buy just about anything you needed for a rail or bug, there!

The Bug I built had a 67 as a 'donor' chassis...bought it from a tow company for $50 as the front end was damaged - a perfect candidate for the BB conversion! I think I bought all the f/glass panels, Nerf bars, exhaust, white spoke wheels, cutting brake, etc, etc from Johnny's.

Bajaddict - 5-5-2005 at 08:18 PM

Perhaps they are no longer in business, Mexray. I did a quick search on them before posting and came up with a few hits. Since reading your post I checked the yahoo yellow pages - no match!

I should have checked my facts before posting....

Lot's of folks posting about their "Johnny's Speed and Chrome" buggys.... must still be a number of them out there.

[Edited on 5-6-2005 by Bajaddict]

bajalou - 5-5-2005 at 08:35 PM

Southern Calif his the home of several suppliers of VW parts for off road or customized vehicles. You have some of the best prices for kits etc in the country in LA and Orange counties - Pick up a issue of "Dunebuggies and Hot VWs" magazine and check out the advertisers. It comes out about the 2nd of the month so should be on the stands now. Also the book Neal Johns recomended will be a great help. Bajaloco recomended a IRS pan, but there are many Baja Bugs built on the swing axel model. VW of Mexico never went to the IRS rear suspension building only swing axel until the final one produced last year. Make sure you have a title to the doner car and the regristration up to date. Big penalties for old registrations. If you can't use the origional pan/title for the year of manufacture, you have to come up to todays smog laws - about impossible - if you want it registered for street use.

:biggrin:

baja bug

Bajadtodebone - 5-23-2005 at 08:02 AM

I have a '66 baja conversion for sale. fresh 1600 dual port and less than 1500 street miles on it. I currently have it stored in BOLA. Interested, email simondphotographic@comcast.net

Baja Bug garages--------

Barry A. - 5-26-2005 at 10:56 AM

"Edge Industries" in Imperial, Ca (in the Imperial Valley---just north of El Centro) specialized in Baja Bugs-----he may still be in business----have not been by there in years.

Just a thought.

Books

John M - 5-26-2005 at 11:23 AM

eetdrt88 - I have the book Neal mentioned and if you are serious I'll mail it to you if you want it. I have two other real good vw books also, if you are interested.

why don't you email me direct.

jnmarnell "at" yahoo.com

BAJA BUGS

MIKEMCCARTY - 5-26-2005 at 12:21 PM

VW PARADISE IN SAN MARCOS, has been helping me with my project, they also have a web site you can check out. I started with a 68, bought it for 400.00, now have 3,200.invested and still going. I am not sure when to stop! I think i was bit by a baja bug....

More, Mike, more!

El Camote - 5-26-2005 at 09:01 PM

I've got a '69 that I bought for...NOTHING. I traded an '83 Chevy S-10 truck with a bad carb. for it. Would love to know what you've done to yours so far, Mike. Pics would be really cool. :o

baja bugs

m.mccarty - 5-26-2005 at 09:30 PM

Not sure how to put pics on site yet, only a junoir nomad. I have a stock 1600, but put a super sand trans, close ratio gears. I have the swing axle which does limmit me on the hight I can go but so far it has been working for me. I put an adjustable front end which does need some axle cutting. the shocks I have are KYB. The motor was just rebuilt. I rebuilt the brake system and having some issues with it, a project in its self. I took my kids to the desert,borego and it climbed everthing I tried. So far so good, like I said I cant stop. Like the post ahead of me said, I should have started with a Irs sytem fisrt if I was going to go this far,Too late..

m.mccarty - 5-26-2005 at 09:33 PM

Sorry I have not figured out how to post from my work sign on. had to use a short cut.

bajalou - 5-27-2005 at 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
"Edge Industries" in Imperial, Ca (in the Imperial Valley---just north of El Centro) specialized in Baja Bugs-----he may still be in business----have not been by there in years.

Just a thought.

He's still there Barry - still kind of grumpy but with lots of stuff

On Aten Rd a block or so west of hghy 86 (Imperial Ave)

bajalou - 5-27-2005 at 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by m.mccarty
Like the post ahead of me said, I should have started with a IRS
Quote:

You can change to IRS if you really want. Have to get different torsion bars and have a bracket for trailing arms welded on. And of course a different transmission.

[Edited on 5-27-2005 by bajalou]

baja bug

marv sherrill - 5-27-2005 at 09:15 AM

actually it is a small beetle that will ultimately hollow out the stems of all palm fronds - the dust rain lasts for about 6 months - as one who has been stung by scorpions falling out of the palapa roof - I am replacing mine with an asbestoes 2X 3 foot tile - indistructable and cheaper than palm fronds! - (cut wearing a mask...)