BajaNomad

Dia De Nino

Bruce R Leech - 4-29-2005 at 05:23 PM

Saturday is Dia de Nino every one git some candy and give it to the children in your aria. I dint like to give candy but it is the custom here and the dentists like it that way.

dose any one have any suggestions of something better for a gift.

[Edited on 4-30-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

lizard lips - 4-29-2005 at 05:30 PM

A trip to neverland?:wow:

yankeeirishman - 4-29-2005 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Saturday is Dia de Nino every one git some candy and give it to the children in your aria. I dint like to give candy but it is the custom here and the dentists like it that way.

[Edited on 4-30-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

For those of us that do not know what El Dia del Nino is:
It?s a tradition in Mexico and in other Latin American countries. It is usually celebrated on or around April 30th. On this day, children in kindergarten and in elementary school are honored by their teachers and their parents with special parties in schools and at home. It is a day of play, pi?atas, much joy and acknowledgement of love and appreciation for children. It lets them know that they are valued. In many cities, the business community gets involved with gifts, discounts, and parties for children and civic groups sponsor events in parks.

comitan - 4-29-2005 at 06:02 PM

I think they celebrated it Wednesday here in La Paz, because the beach at the Malecon the full length was full of ninos and many of them were flying kites. I thought maybe they were having a kite flying day.

Bruce R Leech - 4-29-2005 at 06:39 PM

should be Saturday

bajalera - 4-29-2005 at 10:41 PM

My grand-daughter's school celebrated today, and Bruce seems to be right about the dentist conspiracy: she brought home a good-sized sack of candy, courtesy of her teacher.

latitude26n - 4-30-2005 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech

It sounds like the candy has become such a tradition on this day, if you tried to do anything else it would be like passing out school supplies on Halloween- you may not get a very warm reception.

But that did give me an idea and I think I'll get a handful of those little spiral notebooks from a $.99 store.
I use 'em all the time for road-logs, travel notes etc. and I bet for kids who live in the boonies, a place to draw or keep a diary would be a prized possession.

woody with a view - 4-30-2005 at 08:41 AM

hey latitude-

we had the same idea and before the last trip down we went by big lots and bought 4-5 giant crayon boxes and spiral books. to say the least, they were well appreciated in the small campo we visited.

mulegeloco - 4-30-2005 at 09:10 AM

Good idea latitude and woody!!!!!!!!!!!!!
notebooks, crayons and any art crafts are a wonderful gift for all the local ni?os, these things aren't close to them at the local stores and they really enjoy it

lizard lips - 4-30-2005 at 09:50 AM

Sorry about the neverland crack. That was uncalled for!

Eli - 4-30-2005 at 10:42 AM

A friend and I put on a little puppet show for the kindergardners in Los Barriles, I hope the kids had at least half the fun that we sure did. There was about 50 of them, not the easist to hold audience, so we kept it super short, spent about 20 minutes max for 5 skits.

I am sure my daughter will give my grandson something besides the letter she sent to school for his teacher to give him. Just a little note letting him know how glad their family is to have him and what a great kid he is.

I painted him a saint card using a piece of cardboard from an old cereal box, with paper glued on one side for the written message and a back ground painted with arcrilics on the other side, inluded a couple of saint cards; "A Gardian Angel" and "El Santo Nino", a dove of peace, some glitter here and there, a few tiny sticker whales completed the collage. I had a great time putting it togeather for him, and as he is an artist and makes these cards himself he was stoked to get one.

Oh yeah and of course, there was a pinata at school and lots of candy brougt home, surly wouldn't be a fiesta for kids here without that, tradition is tradition after all.

[Edited on 4-30-2005 by Eli]

Bruce R Leech - 4-30-2005 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegeloco
Good idea latitude and woody!!!!!!!!!!!!!
notebooks, crayons and any art crafts are a wonderful gift for all the local ni?os, these things aren't close to them at the local stores and they really enjoy it

good Ideas