BajaNomad

baja and beer...

eetdrt88 - 5-3-2005 at 01:08 PM

theres been alot of talk on this board about drinking lately,i actually prefer just to drink and not really talk about it but if we must well then heres something to remind you of what life is all about when its 98 degrees in the shade

Sharksbaja - 5-3-2005 at 01:40 PM

35.97 kb pic WOW!

must be the dpi but still good res

4baja - 5-3-2005 at 06:58 PM

yes and dont forget the cigars!!!:coolup:

woody with a view - 5-3-2005 at 07:02 PM

...or the surf wax...

This reminds me of a question

Gypsy Jan - 5-3-2005 at 08:41 PM

I have about beer.

I am not a beer drinker, but in many places in Mexico, it is preferable to other liquid refreshments, so I have partaken at those times, just tolerating it.

But, recently at Cocteleria Mazatlan in Ensenada, I was given a Pacifico that must have been straight from the freezer, it had ice clinging to the lower two-thirds of the bottle and the flavor was fantastic, vastly better than any other Pacifico I have tried.

OK, Nomads...

1. Where are your favorite and reliable places that serve you a great presentation of beer?

2. How do I prepare and serve a beer in this manner to beer loving guests in my home?

[Edited on 5-4-2005 by Gypsy Jan]

iced

yankeeirishman - 5-3-2005 at 09:12 PM

2. How do I prepare and serve a beer in this manner to beer loving guests in my home?

Stick that beer in a big ol' bucket of ice. Nothing like a iced cold Beer.

Yeah, OK

Gypsy Jan - 5-3-2005 at 09:19 PM

But does this method have the ice glue itself to the bottle? The one I was served had a 1/4" layer all around and the outside was dry.

I might just have to go back to Cocteleria Mazatlan and interrogate them (while consuming many seafood c-cktails and grilled oysters and clams :tumble: :spingrin: :tumble:)

Gyspy

Baja Bernie - 5-3-2005 at 10:10 PM

If you were hosting real old time Baja Guys you would just pop the bottle. I learned to love warm beer right here in Baja because it was the olnly thing you could get other than warm Vodka or Rum and that was too tough for me.
The cold stuff has much less flavor.

Thanks Bernie

Gypsy Jan - 5-3-2005 at 10:31 PM

for your input.

Once again, I will qualify myself as a non-beer drinker.

But, I've had warm beer in England, France, Germany and the U.S.

I do not like warm beer.

The ice-cold coated Pacifico I was served was great. What up?

By the way

Gypsy Jan - 5-3-2005 at 10:42 PM

I am not trying to get into a drinking competition.

Beforehand, my taste concerning beer was, "yeuchh", until I tasted this iced Pacifico.

I wondered if it was the cooling of it or if I experienced something rare.

Darn...

Mexray - 5-3-2005 at 11:19 PM

...I was just going for a nice tall glass of warm milk before bedtime, decided to check by Nomad...went into a trance at the sight of 'una Pacifico' above...

Now I'm sittin' here with lime juice on my lips as that cold, crisp, amber liquid from an icy Pacifico bottle trickles down my parched throat!!!

Got Pacifico...YOU BET! Save the milk for making cheese!

BTW...that 'warm beer' craving must be a Deschland thing. When I was a kid, my dad used to keep a case of warm beer on hand for an old country German Policeman friend of the family. We lived on the far end of his patrol route, and he would stop by each day for a quick 'refresher'. These were the days when the cops were neighbors and friends, and would lend a hand when they could, first, before having to take more drastic measures...

orange and water

yankeeirishman - 5-4-2005 at 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
But does this method have the ice glue itself to the bottle? The one I was served had a 1/4" layer all around and the outside was dry.

I might just have to go back to Cocteleria Mazatlan and interrogate them (while consuming many seafood c-cktails and grilled oysters and clams :tumble: :spingrin: :tumble:)

Oh! Add water to the ice bucket (1/4 line)....then the ice will not stick to the bottles! Mexray will not be reading this post...he is drinking milk and watching "A Clockward Orange".

Dave - 5-4-2005 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
I am not trying to get into a drinking competition.

Beforehand, my taste concerning beer was, "yeuchh", until I tasted this iced Pacifico.

I wondered if it was the cooling of it or if I experienced something rare.

The lower the temperature the less flavor for two reasons:

You don't get the aroma which is part and parcel of the taste experience and the cold deadens your taste buds. So...

Anything distasteful will taste much better at a lower temperature. The lower the better.;D

Cincodemayo - 5-4-2005 at 11:06 AM

Ever try drinking a Mickey's Big Mouth semi cold? It's awful but ice cold goes down great. My vote goes for cooooold. Nutin bedder than a cold Sol, Corona or Pacifico wit lime....

Arthur - 5-4-2005 at 11:52 AM

But it stands to reason that if you don't like the taste of beer much, an ice-cold one will taste extraordinary.

And Jan WANTS the ice to stick to the bottle -- but in a frosty fuzz, leaving the rest of the bottle dry. Not sure about that one, but I guess if I had to do it I'd cool the bottles in a few inches of ice water and then put them on a shelf in the freezer. The water turns to frost, and the top of the bottle dries off. That's the best I could do.

ZZZactly Arthur

jrbaja - 5-4-2005 at 11:56 AM

10 minutes in the freezer after coming out of the ice chest works very well at the Baja Bamboo Park:biggrin:

Arthur - 5-4-2005 at 12:03 PM

Mmm-mmm. Gets my taste buds going, even though it's actually drizzling where I am.

You're doing furniture there -- right, JR? Do you have pictures of it posted somewhere?

Cincodemayo - 5-4-2005 at 12:27 PM

Just like they did at the original A&W rootbeer drive ins...
The rootbeer would turn to slush and ice cold...
Now just drop the root and you have it.

Arthur

jrbaja - 5-4-2005 at 12:56 PM

I posted a few pics. on here in the photos section under San Bartolo Bamboo or Baja Bamboo.

But, I have a site that shows some of the project at http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum

Don't have much furniture yet but when I get back down there, we will be putting a bunch together as well as finishing the bamba?o and bambath.

I will be posting pictures as soon as I can.

Dave - 5-4-2005 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
10 minutes in the freezer after coming out of the ice chest works very well at the Baja Bamboo Park:biggrin:

You got a freezer?

I'll be right over.:biggrin:

Although I am

jrbaja - 5-4-2005 at 02:16 PM

"roughing it" in the wilds of Baja, I have a tv in the tent and a freezer in the shop. And, you are welcome anytime Amigo!