BajaNomad

Loreto and Mulege

Lester - 5-4-2005 at 09:43 AM

I am a relatively new member to BAJANOMAD and certainly appreciate the info that I have gathered so far. My question is this-- Can a person get by on approx. $600.00 per month U.S.-- beach bum and maybe rent a motel room every once in a while in the Mulege and/or Loreto area? I do have a 33' trailer that I could bring down, space rental prices conducive. I really need to get to a climate where the arthritis that I have is not as much of a problem as it is in this locale. (Washington State) Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thank U in advance--- Lester

Absolutely!

jrbaja - 5-4-2005 at 09:55 AM

But, not in a gringo enclave. You would have to find a beach somewhere ( Concepcion Bay or Agua Verde), not pay any rent to the gringos that got there before you, and do a lot of fishing.
This method should save you about $500 of the $600 budget per month. The rest goes for toilet paper, tortillas and beer!:light:
Both places have hot springs so relief is easily had.

Loreto and Mulege

Lester - 5-4-2005 at 10:07 AM

Thank U for your response JR and I will heed your words. I've enjoyed your dialogue as well as others on this site. It has been refreshing to me. Lester

Cincodemayo - 5-4-2005 at 11:18 AM

Hey Lester...I'm over in Poulsbo.

Have to disagree with JR on this one.........

capt. mike - 5-4-2005 at 11:18 AM

You can stay in a bunch of trailer parks all over mulege concepcion and loreto for only $200 a month, some $180 - i have one, and i only go there 1 to 2 times a month - then you can spend a hundred or so , less whatever a week on food, beer, car gas - hell, i have retired friends there who only spend about $5-600 a month and live very well....I spend more on avgas each trip to my poco casa blanco con llanteras than the dang monthly rent ! but it beats a hotel, i got all my crap there and can use a pool, laundry etc.

go for it, and look me up at the Serenidad anytime, most of the area drunks know me!:lol::lol:

There we have it Lester

jrbaja - 5-4-2005 at 11:23 AM

Remote beaches with hotsprings, privacy and snorkeling or some "trailer park" with a bunch of drunks:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry Mike:lol:

Bruce R Leech - 5-4-2005 at 11:36 AM

I think Baja North would be cheaper maybe Bay of L.A. or something.

Loreto and Mulege

Lester - 5-4-2005 at 11:59 AM

Heh Cinco- Appreciate UR reply -- Just trying to do the right thing- Please respond -- Thx everyone-- Lester

Loreto and Mulege

Lester - 5-4-2005 at 12:39 PM

Heh-- U folks are Crazy and I Luv It-- I Need to get away and go to the BAJA. The fact remains-- Only so much time and so much $-- I AM GOING. Luv U - I will be there--Just Watch-- LESTER

Lester! You can do It!!!

Skeet/Loreto - 5-4-2005 at 01:55 PM

Lester My wife and I lived in Loreto full time for 18 years, we built Rancho sonrisa, had several trips a year to La Paz and returned to the States several times for about $800 Month.

A good way to really do it is to LearnSpainsh, find a Friend in Loret{Mexican{ park you Trailer at this House, pay him about $100 a month then take a small Camper and do the Beaches

You will have to use as many Mexican Products as Possible, No TV, No Putas, not very much Beer,Boose.
You could also do nearly as well in La Paz or near there. You might be able to make Friends at Ligui just south of Loreto, lots of good Beach and good fishin from shore.

There are many places just go for It!!!!

Skeet/Loreto

No Putas ???

jrbaja - 5-4-2005 at 03:04 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Me No - 5-4-2005 at 03:33 PM

I saw that too JR. Watch your mouth Skeet.:lol: I'm sure lester is beyond that. or not.:lol:

There are many in San Lucas cove who get by on 6 hun a month. Trailer rent is 120 a month, or 1200 a year. Fish is always available because so many of the campers there have boats, and fish the days its not too windy.

Hey Meno!

Skeet/Loreto - 5-4-2005 at 03:37 PM

I had just about forgetton about San Lucas. Hey that is a Great Place and good beaches and somewhat Isolated,{It is failrly close to the "Casa{ outside of Sta Rosalittia]".

Skeet/Loreto

comitan - 5-4-2005 at 04:02 PM

Lester

If your talking about being there this summer, be prepared for HOT WEATHER.

arthritis

baitcast - 5-4-2005 at 04:57 PM

Hey Lester,I used to live outside of Spokane.......Cold......I and Moma both have a touch of arthritis,moved to AZ. and haven,t had a problem since........go for it.
BAITCAST

Me No - 5-4-2005 at 06:05 PM

The thing about San Lucas is that you have to reserve your spot when it is still HOT to get beach front. The snow birds start arriving in Oct. The other thing is that the economy is not based on tourism, so the gringo surcharge doesn't apply like it does in Mulege and Loreto.

Bruce R Leech - 5-4-2005 at 06:44 PM

what is the Gringo surcharge and how is it applied?

Mike Supino - 5-4-2005 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
what is the Gringo surcharge and how is it applied?

A gringo surcharge is paying for 5 dinners when you only received 4 etc.
I'm sure that there are numerous other examples that will come to mind, but I think you will get the picture.

Dave - 5-4-2005 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Supino
A gringo surcharge is paying for 5 dinners when you only received 4 etc.

This only works on mathematically challenged gringos.

Bruce R Leech - 5-4-2005 at 08:31 PM

oh I see you mean cheating the gringos. well sorry that even happens in San Lucas.

Bruce R Leech - 5-4-2005 at 08:35 PM

Lester there are places you can camp for free on the beach here in Mulege. If you have a little trailer your big expense will be food and gas for your car

My neighbors and friends

jrbaja - 5-4-2005 at 08:40 PM

insist that they go and pay for stuff for the projects. I give them the money and they do all the purchasing from hardware, etc. stores. BIG difference in prices, for almost everything.

And it's not that they are cheating the gringos. They are getting whatever it is for far less than going somwhere else to get it. They are just helping out their brothers, sisters and friends. Kinda like the mormons but better!:lol:

[Edited on 5/5/2005 by jrbaja]

Lester

frizkie - 5-4-2005 at 10:01 PM

For $600 a month you can have a GREAT time in Baja. Well, depending, of course, on what you wanna do for fun.If you're into chartering fishing boats, paragliding, and that kinda touristy lifestyle perhaps not.
I live in Victoria (can't get much closer to Washington than that) and I have just arrived back from spending the winter in Baja (5 months).
I prefer Baja Sur, as I love to fish, and scuba dive, and snorkle. I travel alone in a small motorhome (van conversion) I take along my own little Porta - Bote for fishing and exploring. And my three little pups Julio, Jose, y Pepito. I do not like spending time in RV parks, so tend to live on free beaches, and free camping areas at hot springs.....the most BEAUTIFUL places!!! And do you know what I spent for the entire 5 months on camping fees???? Twenty dollars!! Yup, I do it every year and I still keep finding better free places to live.
As far as the Arthritis is concerned, I am also a nurse, I found it interesting to read what Baitcast had to say. He refers to Arizona and going there and getting relief from his arthritis, however, Arizona is alot drier than Baja. You may find the humidity in Baja still raises H--- with your arthritis.
If you'd like some tips as to living the "Good Life" in Baja Sur U2U me and I'll let you in on some wonderful free campspots where you can stay for free for as long as you wish. :bounce:

Dave - 5-4-2005 at 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
And it's not that they are cheating the gringos.

If someone charges a different price based simply on one's ethnicity then it is most certainly cheating and thievery.

A store here was famous for having two sets of prices. They also did a goodly amount of business with gringos. The owners were told that unless it stopped no gringo would shop there.

That put an end to it.