BajaNomad

Yo, Developers!

bajalera - 5-7-2005 at 03:47 AM

By all means let's have a golf course on the Mogote and hi-rise hotels rimming the Bay of La Paz, so this place can rival Los Cabos as a tourist destination.

Meanwhile, back here in the real world of La Paz, there's no water coming from our faucets--and it's only 11-something A.M. on May 6--not even summer yet.

Dang! I'll have to start drinking beer before noon.

Lera

Tucker - 5-7-2005 at 04:52 AM

Lee typical water delivery in El Centenario is about six hours in the mornings (that's why I have 5 tinacos). Also Larry is correct about negative pressure, a friend of mine who lived about midway up the system had a barrel he used to dip water for his plants from. One day it was about 3/4 full when he put the hose in to top it off, when he came back the barrel was empty, a webmaster from another site says the water is fine to drink, maybe it is but I don't have a clue as to what was originally in that barrel.

Me No - 5-7-2005 at 05:55 PM

Guys, that might make an interesting saturday night. I'll drink a pint of rum, and you or whoever drinks a pint of that tap brew. Then Sunday we will see who has the worst crudos.:lol::lol:

This may a bit nieve and "pie in the sky", but...

vgabndo - 5-7-2005 at 06:36 PM

The most simple kind of third world solar still that you can build for just a few bucks will produce up to 2.5 gallons of pure water for every 15 sq. ft. of surface area with solar exposure of 6 hours a day. This isn't high tech, and it will purify the water you took out of a hoof print. If you have a supply but the quality is questionable, it seems like a good way to get cookin' and drinkin' water.

I've seen them in operation, and studied the designs for some time. If you got as high tech as using a battery operated sprinkler timer, the things will run without attention except for periodic cleaning.

Here's a link that fits....

vgabndo - 5-8-2005 at 12:27 PM

These guys have been into the simple stuff for years. There are a number of more complicated designs that produce more water, but it is really cheap to add square footage to this design. I have the materials in my shop readys to test one this summer here in the north.

http://www.epsea.org/stills.html

There is a "borderpact" link on this site to some nice calculations.