BajaNomad

? about beef

Lindalou - 5-13-2005 at 03:13 PM

Can you buy beef in Baja like in the US? Packaged and refrigerated? Also marked as to what cut it is?

Tucker - 5-13-2005 at 04:21 PM

In California, about 20 years ago, I learned that Filet Mignon, when considering that there is zero waste and you couldn't screw it up if you wanted to, is the cheapest cut of meat. I think it's still between 4 and 5 dollars a pound here.

Debra - 5-13-2005 at 04:36 PM

Part of the adventure (for me at least) is having to go to all 4 stores in the village to figure out how to make 1 meal....(yes, I'm kind of sick!) In the large cities yes, it all looks the same , well sort of....you will figure it out.

BUT BRING YOU SPICES! You won't find your favorites, at least not many of them and not at a glance!

bajajudy - 5-13-2005 at 04:40 PM

Sorry to differ Pomp but I happen to like the Sonora beef better than USDA.
According to where you are you can find just about anything you want down here.
Dont try bringing beef with you. In some places they will confiscate it

all in 60's

yankeeirishman - 5-13-2005 at 04:42 PM

The beef (and pork) reminds me of how the meat tasted back in the 60's. We like it alot ....so much that....I bring back some to Ca. hidden away under the fish.

[Edited on 5-13-2005 by yankeeirishman]

Mike Supino - 5-13-2005 at 04:56 PM

I've noticed the same thing regarding the taste of beef, chicken and pork.

Beef that I have bought in Baja seems less fatty however more flavorful.

From what I understand the pork now is breed in the U.S. to have a lot less fat. Whereas fat typically equates to flavor I can understand the pork aspect but how can we explain the beef flavor?

TMW - 5-13-2005 at 05:52 PM

I don't know where it comes from but El Ninos in San Felipe and Loreto has the best Filet Mignon I've ever eaten.

yankeeirishman - 5-13-2005 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I don't know where it comes from but El Ninos in San Felipe and Loreto has the best Filet Mignon I've ever eaten.

I second that! Like the way that guy ALWAYS open the door for you..before you can? Still can't fiqure out how he knows a client is coming in from the sidewalk......

The squarecircle - 5-13-2005 at 10:23 PM

Greetings,>>>>>>> I second that statement about El Nido's San Felipe chow hall. Excellent and very generous portions. A real carnivores delight in Baja. >>>>> Regards, >>>>>> sq.

The squarecircle - 5-13-2005 at 10:26 PM

O.K. That is three of us now.>>>>>sq.

Ham///

top - 5-14-2005 at 12:03 AM

Ham

where does anyone find ham and ham hocks, ham shanks, and good ole smoked cured tocino(bacon).

i don't mean pork butt, or pork hocks, and pork shanks, i mean good ole smoked cured HAM products???

i could find it in san carlos on the mainland but not in bc. i am just courious

and sonora beef is great. where is the spell check??

JESSE - 5-14-2005 at 11:47 AM

Sonora beef is overrated, theres some local Baja producers that have worldclass product, i have a guy that sells vacuum packed steaks that are better tasting than a lot of corn fed american beef.

Problem is, you can?t buy his beef from any stores.

Debra - 5-14-2005 at 12:23 PM

I'm going to shut up now.....seems I'm the only one that thinks that spices are important to good food.

And don't invite me to dinner! (:saint: unless of course you let me bring my spices :saint: )

Debra - 5-14-2005 at 12:27 PM

BTW.......Camp Gecko, Memorial Day......stop by for some Clam Chowder!

Oh Rosemary...where r u?

yankeeirishman - 5-15-2005 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
I'm going to shut up now.....seems I'm the only one that thinks that spices are important to good food.

And don't invite me to dinner! (:saint: unless of course you let me bring my spices :saint: )

Take a nice roast (beef or pork) and do this; place it in a ziplock bag, add a cup or two of red wine, 1/4 cup of vinagar, lots of fresh garlic chunks, and a little handful of Rosemary. Let stand over night. Proceed to oven or Bar B Q

[Edited on 5-15-2005 by yankeeirishman]

TMW - 5-15-2005 at 08:49 AM

Does it have to be red wine? Red wine makes my mouth pucker, that's why I only buy white wine.

After living in Wyoming and Kansas

jrbaja - 5-15-2005 at 01:22 PM

and being a steak lover, I have had this arguement many times. I used to be on the side of the Kansas Beef which I absolutely loved. Until I had so many Sonora Beef steaks that had more flavor and were more tender than any of the u.s. products.
Bobby's by the Sea in Rosarito serves some pretty darn good beef. Maybe you just haven't had it cooked right Jesse and Pompano.

turtleandtoad - 5-15-2005 at 05:18 PM

This thread has got me wondering, in the U.S. the top cuts of beef (USDA Prime) go to the restaurants, you seldom find it in the supermarkets.

Could this also be true in Baja? I noticed that the beef I've purchased in the stores, while tasty, is usually tough.

Also, does it make any difference where you buy? Does a Carniceria have better beef than a Supermecardo?

bajajudy - 5-15-2005 at 05:40 PM

Just make sure that it is Sonora. It says so in the fat on the new yorks. I usually buy the hole slab and you can read the markings.
I have been going to the same butcher for 5 years so he does me right. a little tip every now and then goes a long way too. It is also cheaper than the meat at Costco. I bought 6 NY'S about 1 1/2 inches thick and it was 230 pesos. That would have been $40 at Costco.

Costco's meat

Tucker - 5-15-2005 at 06:48 PM

costs about 4 times the going price in the community.

that french cooking...

yankeeirishman - 5-15-2005 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Does it have to be red wine? Red wine makes my mouth pucker, that's why I only buy white wine.

I dunno! Try and let me know! It should be okay.

meme - 5-16-2005 at 07:52 AM

The Beef IS Good at El Nido's here in San Felipe! Now if we could just teach them how to REALLY bake a potato it would be a GREAT Dinner! We have been here 8 years and still never had a REALLY good Baked Potato there! They always seem to be just too hard!
We try not to buy steaks in the stores here that have been frozen, Often if frozen they have been frozen WAYYY too long!

Tofu?

eetdrt88 - 5-16-2005 at 02:11 PM

how is the sonoran tofu,similar to U.S. tofu or more like the high grade asian tofu???:biggrin:

meme - 5-16-2005 at 06:25 PM

YUP! LONGER AT HIGHER TEMPS IS A GOOD IDEA! JUst try to get it done!!??

Bruce R Leech - 5-16-2005 at 09:15 PM

it makes a big difference as to the Quality some one mentioned choice which is low quality . I'm from Colorado where they have good beef. but I can buy Sonora prime beef that will stack up to anything you can bye in the U.s. But you wont find Prime meats in the supermarkets.

[Edited on 5-17-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

turtleandtoad - 5-17-2005 at 05:13 AM

Welcome back Bruce,
How was La Paz?

When you say that you wont find Prime in supermarkets, are you talking about the US or Mexico?

What about the Carniceria's? Is the beef there better than the Supermecardo's?

turtleandtoad - 5-17-2005 at 09:45 AM

I could never understand that.

If I'm going to go hunting with my RV, I'm sure going to keep what I kill. :lol:

Hysterical Pompano

jrbaja - 5-17-2005 at 12:23 PM

I thought I had it bad running over all those critters in my Teton Laundry truck out of Jackson Hole! Circa 1973-4-5

Bruce R Leech - 5-17-2005 at 03:19 PM

Killing and tenderizing at the same time, good idea.

Tucker - 5-17-2005 at 03:30 PM

How many Texans does it take to eat an Armadillo??.....................Three, one to do the actual eating and two to watch for traffic!

Bruce R Leech - 5-17-2005 at 04:04 PM

Steaks and Dry Aged Roasts from USDA Prime Beef
Of all the beef produced in the U.S., only 2% is certified prime grade by the USDA.in Mexico less than 1 % From that small amount, the I choose only the top 2% of special prime ... you just can't get any better than that. For this special Prime you can expect to pay 3 to 4 times the choice price.

then the other important part is aging the Beef all fine restaurants use aged Beef . this you also cant find in your supermarket. there meat is usually aged from 1 to 3 days before being frozen.

I like my stakes and roasts to be dry age the beef for up to six weeks, imparting a buttery taste and meltingly tender texture that many beef connoisseurs herald as the ultimate beef experience.

some restaurants use a vacuum marinade proses to speed this up Like Out Back stake houses and they get fairly good results but not equal. I will use the vacuum method on some cheaper cuts Like ribs and so forth.

Bruce R Leech - 5-17-2005 at 04:15 PM

Grading:

The beef you begin with makes a difference. You should ideally begin with a piece of meat that is graded USDA Prime, though it can be difficult to obtain. Top of Choice grade will do for most purposes, so long as you can see a reasonably abundant degree of marbling (white fat running through the meat). Alas, the more calorie-laden and artery-clogging that piece of prime beef is, the better it will taste, so if you are diet conscious, indulge infrequently - but you might as well do it right when you do it at all.
Despite the extra calories, you are looking first and foremost for marbling to determine the quality of your meat. Color is not a factor unless you know for a fact that the meat is not dyed or color-fixed with chemicals. This is a more common practice in the meat packing industry than you might think, so caveat emptor. There is one other very important factor to consider when you are making your all-important prime rib purchase, and that is the touchy topic of dry aging versus cryovac. We'll cover that in the Aging section.

The grades of meat in the United States run thus: Prime, Choice, Select, Cutter and Canner. The bottom two grades are what you find in frozen pot pie dinners, microwave burritos, hamburgers and other processed food products. Select is not very far above the bottom of the edible barrel, though some major chain stores actually brag (??) about selling it to their customers. Choice is about the lowest grade you want to consider investing your time and money into for a serious rib roast dinner.

Within each grade, there are sub-grades, and the determinations can get fairly complicated and involve things like the total percentage of trim fat on the carcass, the degree of cartilaginous fusion on the aitch bone and other factors that you don't care about as much as the meat packer does, since you are only purchasing one cut of beef. But if you put several "Choice" grade steaks next to one another and compare, you should see a significant range in quality.

[Edited on 5-17-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech - 5-17-2005 at 04:17 PM

Aging and Hanging:

Why is the meat that color? It didn't start out that way. This particular piece of meat has been hanging or aging in a meat locker under ideal conditions for six weeks. Ideal conditions mean that the temperature is maintained constantly between 36 and 38 Fahrenheit, the humidity must be fairly low, and there must be a good air flow around all sides of the meat. That's why they call it "hanging" - they don't strangle the cow, but they do suspend the meat so that it is well exposed to the air. Some restaurants have developed slatted wood aging racks that they use instead of meat hooks, and these can also work admirably well.

The following things must happen in order for a piece of beef to age properly. One, bacterial action takes place inside the meat that breaks down some of the tissues for greater tenderness. Two, moisture weight loss must occur, at least 10% of pre-hanging weight and preferably 15% to 18%. Three, a dry, hard, blackened crust should become visible on the exposed surfaces of the meat. Some dry white growth on the blackened surfaces is normal and safe. Occasionally you can get some other interesting colors, which can be more of a cause for worry, especially if the growth is wet, slimy or accompanied by a foul odor. That isn't aging, that's rotting. If this happens to your beef, you need to slice off the affected portions, bleach-clean your meat locker and start over. Sometimes you end up pitching the entire expensive side of beef in the trash, which is a painful proposition and the reason why most people let professionals handle the aging process for them.

But if you are brave and bold, it is possible to age your own beef if you can achieve the conditions of steady temperature, a dry environment and free and constant air flow. A large refrigerator that was used for no other purpose than to hang beef could be fitted with a meat hook, a fan, a vent to circulate air to the outside and a humidity gauge. The main trick to perform here is to control the humidity, which is why you absolutely need to retrofit the fridge with a fan and a vent, which are options you won't find pre-installed.

One thing you sadly can't do is age beef in your refrigerator. Why? Because the two primary points of aging beef are water loss to concentrate the flavor and bacterial action to tenderize the tissue. The kinds of bacteria that act on meat in a squishy wet environment are more often toxic than benign, and no dessication can take place in the wet, sealed-off environment. This is why the term "cryovac aged beef" is an oxymarooon. It might be older, and if you are very lucky it might even be reasonably tender and tasty, but it is not aged. It's a whole different critter, so to speak, and you need to understand that cryovac beef is a completely different product from dry aged beef. Cryovac is a packing and shipping technique that prolongs shelf life and may even help in some ways to tenderize the meat, but it is not compatible with aging, and vaccum packed meat does not retain moisture very well during cooking.

Since most folks aren't prepared to set up their own meat lockers, you will ideally want to look for a piece of dry aged beef that has at least four weeks of age on it. I prefer six to eight weeks, but you may not be able to easily find a local butcher who hangs that long. Four will do, or even two in a pinch, so long as it was cut directly from a side of beef and did not come to the store in a cryovac package. Ask. The difference in quality is well worth it.

Size Does Matter: Although a two-bone roast looks generous if you're only feeding two people, keep in mind that the smaller cuts do not cook as well or evenly as larger pieces. I like to buy a minimum of three bones and often four, and either expect to feast on the leftovers or plan to invite friends for dinner.

JESSE - 5-17-2005 at 04:19 PM

Forget beef, try this:

http://www.exoticmeats.com/store/index.php?cPath=24_79

Bruce R Leech - 5-17-2005 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Forget beef, try this:

http://www.exoticmeats.com/store/index.php?cPath=24_79

Jesse they don't have Aardvark , that is my favorite Meat :lol:

TMW - 5-17-2005 at 05:25 PM

Great info Bruce, Thanks. How do you cook steaks on a BBQ grill. What temp and when to turn them etc.

Explain how and what goes on with smoke meat. How do you do it and why. Thanks again.

Bruce R Leech - 5-17-2005 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Great info Bruce, Thanks. How do you cook steaks on a BBQ grill. What temp and when to turn them etc.

Explain how and what goes on with smoke meat. How do you do it and why. Thanks again.

TW that is the 64,000.00 dollar question. it will be deferent, on every grill and then the conditions will change that , like wind etc. I like to use a gas grill because I have better control. the key is to experiment a lot and write down the proses and the results each time until you get it perfect.

for example I like to cook rib eyes 2 inches thick. so I have my marinated meat at 75 to 80 degrease and the grill what I call med hot. cook 9 minuets on first side and 7.5 on the second for a stake med rare. but if the stake is colder ore thiner or different in any way it changes. porter house stakes I cut about 1.25 inches. and I use a hotter fire and shorter time to get med rare.

El Nidos

Price - 5-18-2005 at 12:44 PM

Where in SF is this place ???

Bruce

jrbaja - 5-18-2005 at 12:56 PM

Gas barbecue? YUCK !!! Those things are a joke if you truly enjoy gourmet meats. It starts out with the kind of WOOD that you use and if you haven't tried an apple wood barbecue, you haven't barbecued!

Bruce R Leech - 5-18-2005 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Gas barbecue? YUCK !!! Those things are a joke if you truly enjoy gourmet meats. It starts out with the kind of WOOD that you use and if you haven't tried an apple wood barbecue, you haven't ed!

it starts with the Meat

the barbecue I cook on mostly is a commercial type it has full smoking capability I use it with wood chips it has 350,000 BTU. with this kind you can control every thing precisely. I can cook stakes with mesquite fish with alder and pork chops with hickory. one right after the other. and it is ready to cook in 5 minuets.

[Edited on 5-19-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

El Nido San Felipe location

Mike Supino - 5-18-2005 at 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Price
Where in SF is this place ???

El Nido is on Mar de Cortez, south of the malecon on the west side of the street. The managers name is Juan.

Anonymous - 5-18-2005 at 09:29 PM

You guys really like el Nido? i prefer Pelicanos, its the same thing but with an ocean view.

The squarecircle - 5-19-2005 at 12:22 AM

Depends upon what you want the most for your pesos. --------Good food or good view!!!! >>>>sq.

Mike Supino - 5-19-2005 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
You guys really like el Nido? i prefer Pelicanos, its the same thing but with an ocean view.

Los Pelicanos is also owned by Sr Lupe Perez as well as the El Nido restaurants in Rosarito, San Felipe and Loreto.

El Nido Loreto's Menu

http://www.loreto.com/elnido/menu.htm

Bruce R Leech - 5-20-2005 at 12:25 PM

Here's some short tips about some of the woods used to smoke meat.

1. Alder's natural sweetness is especially suited with pork.

2. Apple's natural sweetness is good for any type of meat. It's great in combination with other woods.

3. Cherry is especially good with beef and pork. It has a tendency to turn meat a rich mahogany color. It's best to balance Cherry wood with Hickory, Alder, Oak or Pecan.

4. Hickory is the all-time favorite of many Midwest and southern state barbecue cooking teams. Too much hickory smoke can turn meat bitter.

5. Maple is quite similar to Alder wood. Maple is sweet and also darkens the color of meat. Balance it with Alder, Apple or Oak. Sugar Maple wood is the sweetest.

6. Some say to use only Honey Mesquite wood. The Wesatch variety of Mesquite "pops" embers. Mesquite is oily in nature, so it burns hot and fast.

7. Oak. Red Oak is the best variety for smoking.

8. Pear, Peach and Plum. These woods require a certain level of expertise in their use. Peach and Plum woods tend to lose their flavor shortly after being cut. For the best results, make sure you the fruit bearing kind of Plum.

9. Pecan is a member of the hickory family, and becoming more popular for smoking. This is a pungent wood, which should be used sparingly.

10. Dogwood is quite similar to Oak in its smoke flavor.

11. Grapevine cuttings add a nice flavor to fish, poultry and beef. You could achieve the same effect by soaking wood chips in an inexpensive wine before throwing the wood on the coals.

12. Herb woods, such as Basil, Thyme and Rosemary are usually used in combination with other woods. A good combination would be Alder with Basil, and Maple with Rosemary

Bruce R Leech - 5-20-2005 at 12:26 PM

Some other basic smoking tips:

1. Use only hardwood, fruitwood or herb woods for smoking. Avoid softwoods, such as Cedar, Douglas Fir, Pine and Spruce, which are loaded with unpleasant pitch and resin and will ruin your meat.

2. Whenever possible use fresh wood - cut within twelve months of use in order to obtain the most flavorful smoke possible.

3. To obtain the best results, soak wood chips or chunks in HOT water. The heat opens up the wood fibers, allowing the water to more fully penetrate the wood so it smolders, rather than burns.

4. Develop your own blends. Experiment using the various hardwoods, fruitwoods and herb woods available. Think of different combinations as having your own spice cabinet right at your grill.

5. For a unique flavoring, try soaking Oak or Alder chips or chunks in white or red wines. This is an especially effective way to add additional flavor to fish or poultry.

6. Keep a logbook of what you do. Write down what kinds of woods you use and with what kinds of meat. How many spoonfuls of chips, logs or chunks you used. This way, when you have an especially good result, you can easily duplicate the process the next time. Likewise, if you have a failure, you can study what you did and avoid making the same mistake twice.

7. DON'T lift the lid off the cooking unit to see how the meat is cooking. Heat is lost and you lengthen the time it will take your meat to cook. You also lose valuable smoke.

Bruce R Leech - 5-20-2005 at 12:33 PM

We sell hickory sawdust in 5 G. Bamboo shaker for only $28.00 usd +
Shipping and handling!

We also sell Bamboo sawdust in 5 G. hickory shaker for only $48.00 usd +
Shipping and handling!

limit 20 per order

bajalou - 5-20-2005 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

And where, pray tell, is Pelicanos??

:biggrin:

Bruce R Leech - 5-21-2005 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I think the Pelicanos mentioned would be in San Felipa or that area.....as the El Nido in Mulege has been closed for many years..like 10 or more.

yes I sure miss it.

JESSE - 5-21-2005 at 05:19 PM

Pelicanos is in Rosarito, right behind Corona Plaza Hotel.

Los Pelicanos

meme - 5-22-2005 at 08:58 AM

;);)I thought it was the liquor store on Chetumal Lou? Where you thinking??:light::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Please let me know if you find it? MAYBE THEY can bake potatoes too??? Ha Ha!