BajaNomad

JULY 22,23,24 EL ROSARIO/ BAJA CULTURAL FESTIVAL!!!

David K - 5-14-2005 at 08:26 AM

The BAJA-ROSARIO CULTURAL FESTIVAL JULY 22-24 is celebrating the founding of El Rosario in July 1774 and will be the first such fiesta the town has ever had marking that date.

There will be an expo to show the area's industry (sea food, agriculture, etc.), food fairs for our culinary pleasure presnted by the many restaurants in town, historic tours of both mission sites in Rosario (Arriba y Abajo), story telling by the old timers in town (around a bond fire at the beach), a beauty pagent, beach camping facilities, possible driving tours to: a near by cardonal (cactus forest), dinosaur bone discovery site, Las Pintas petroglyph & fossil grotto, a sea lion hidden cove, etc.

As details are many, and it is still over 2 months away, stay tuned to Baja Nomad! There are approx. 60 rooms between the three motels in Rosario, camping on La Bocana beach (about 3-4 miles away) will have porta-potties, volly ball nets, and security for when you are in town or on tour.

MARK YOUR CALENDARS JULY 22,23,24 (FRI. SAT. SUN.) Events will begin Friday afternoon at 2pm. and run until Sunday PM.... Those who experienced the first Baja Cultural event know how great that was: http://vivabaja.com/fiesta and that was all done by Antonio's family... This time, the entire town of El Rosario is involved...!

Debra - 5-14-2005 at 11:18 AM

Will the new Senorita be there? I'm not coming unless I get to hold the baby! (and meet Mrs. Antiono of course)

David K - 5-14-2005 at 11:42 AM

YES... they will be there... Mama y nina...

David K - 6-4-2005 at 07:27 AM

Bringing this up for Capt. Mike and others...

lanatasword - 6-5-2005 at 12:36 AM

Sorry to be such a Baja newbie, but where is El Rosario in relation to Tijuana or Rosarito?

Santiago - 6-5-2005 at 06:06 AM

DK - I'll handle this one.
About 5 hours drive south of Tijuana on Hiway 1 (add another hour if you're with MH to stop and change at least 2 tires).

what's the current rooms situation. and

capt. mike - 6-5-2005 at 06:38 AM

for camping? and distance from Diamonte?
is the cactus sold out?

David K - 6-5-2005 at 09:57 AM

There are still rooms at Baja Cactus (festival@bajacactus.com) plus Mama Espinosa's motel (Las Cabanas) and Motel Sinahi (all three are being reserved for the event by Antonio. Overflow will be at the La Pinta San Quintin... Camping at La Bocana beach or the Sinahi RV park in town. Reserve now!

Diamante Del Mar airport is up on the mesa a short distance from Hwy. 1 (mile long concrete jet runway is visible from the highway)... and the sales office on the coast is about 3 miles west of the airport.

lanatasword - 6-5-2005 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
DK - I'll handle this one.
About 5 hours drive south of Tijuana on Hiway 1 (add another hour if you're with MH to stop and change at least 2 tires).

Thanks Santiago. So who is MH? And where might I find an explanitory story?

Neal Johns - 6-5-2005 at 06:51 PM

lanatasword, go to Search at the top left of the page, search for username Mike Humfreville, and POT.

POT stands for Poor Old Truck and Mike's adventures with this Pizza Truck are legends. :tumble:

Pizza Truck = Piece of S--- Truck

Santiago - 6-5-2005 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns

POT stands for Poor Old Truck and Mike's adventures with this Pizza Truck are legends. :tumble:

Neal: couldn't have said it better myself.

Lanatasword: Speaking of legends,
while you're in search mode, you might want to check out "WIW". Put a lot of paper in the printer...... Apparently, Neal was in Baja when it split from the mainland.

BornFisher - 6-5-2005 at 07:58 PM

My wheels are just a spinning!! Sure hope to get there!!

JESSE - 6-5-2005 at 09:07 PM

Unfortunatelly i am not going to be able to make this one, but i do wish good luck and lots of fun to everyone, lets see if we can make the next one closer to home.

Good luck guys.

David K - 6-5-2005 at 09:15 PM

Thanks Jesse! The last one in Tijuana was great, huh?

Would you please keep us up to speed on your restaurant!?? Elizabeth and I want to dine there when it is all ready!

JESSE - 6-5-2005 at 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thanks Jesse! The last one in Tijuana was great, huh?

Would you please keep us up to speed on your restaurant!?? Elizabeth and I want to dine there when it is all ready!

David,

I took over on Friday, theres a million details and i am changing the menu, as soon as i feel i can invite you guys to have a great meal in a great atmosphere i will let you know.

Have fun.

David K - 6-26-2005 at 11:20 AM

Jesse, we can't wait... if you were ready today, we would be there (directions please)!

Now, for those going to the Baja Cultural Festival (now less than a month away):

Baja Cactus Motel, as well as Las Cabanas (Mama Espinoza's) and Motel Sinahi still have rooms. Reservations for all three for the event should be made to festival@bajacactus.com

RV sites with hookups..are at Motel Sinahi... reserve through same email festival@bajacactus.com There are plenty available. The Sinahi (also spelled Sinai) is on the left side of Mex. 1, as you are heading southbound from the sharp left curve at Mama Espinoza's.

Camping on the sand beach of La Bocana, 4 miles down stream from town by 4WD or 5.5 miles via the 2WD high road: Let Antonio know by emailing the same festival@bajacactus.com. A security gaurd, outhouse and trash cans can be provided at this undeveloped beautiful beach. Small fee to cover these will be charged.

Camping at the sea lion crater and exotic shores at La Lobera, 6 miles north of town then 3 miles west on a good dirt road (turn LEFT at only junction, ignore keep out signs) has been approved. The restaurant there (only operated for special occaisions) can be open IF we get a head count. Trash cans, out house, and security already in place. 70 pesos ($7) per night, $2 for day parking.

Please post here or u2u me if you want to camp at La Lobera.

Camping out in the desert at El Cardonal, about 7 miles from town (left turn on the south side of the long bridge over the river) is on your own... it will be HOT. There is shade at the site of a former ranch(?) from a couple of big trees.

[Edited on 6-26-2005 by David K]

At La Lobera......

Hook - 6-27-2005 at 04:41 PM

....is it possible to access the ocean there or do the bluffs prevent this?

Still on the fence as to where to camp. I like the proximity of La Bocana and the fact that accessing the water for swimmin' (or maybe, just maybe, a little shore-fishing?) appears easy. But, as a self-contained camper, I'm not real keen on being charged for heads or security that I wont use. I will leave only tiretracks at the camp until I return.

Lobera looks like a real interesting area.

David K - 6-27-2005 at 05:16 PM

I have two pages of photos for you to see starting at:
La Lobera Photos

On the second page (sunset), you will see tide pools...Here is where you could get into the ocean, but it doesn't seem to be the best place if you had swimming in mind.

The building is the restaurant with an awesome view... Open for private engagements only... at this time.

Who is going??

David K - 7-17-2005 at 11:15 AM

From what I have read it sounds like several Nomads will be there... Cyndarouh, Neal Johns, Hook, Surfer Jim, Debra, Bob H included. Who else is representing the Baja Nomads?

Where this town began, the Rosario mission in July, 1774.

The beautiful La Bocana beach where some will camp.

The paintings by Hugo Lopez, on sale...

The great food (Antonio 'BajaCactus', Tony of Diamante del Mar, & David K enjoying longosta last Thanksgiving)

Boojum trees and other great desert plants we will see on Saturday's desert tour.

Bob H - 7-17-2005 at 02:05 PM

Hopefully Mike and Mary Ann H will be there too!

Cyndarouh - 7-17-2005 at 05:04 PM

Looking forward to the Festival and meeting Nomads. A lot of locals from surrounding areas have told me they will also be attending. What a Great time this will be. Thank You Antonio!!

T-shrits are going fast, Last day for pre-order is Tues. We will ship if you pre-order and can't make the Festival.. When ordering Please, post or U2 me the size and color. We will have them ready for you Friday.

PS use the T-shirt post to reply thanks, Cyndarouh