BajaNomad

Okay, what do you call it?

Bajaboy - 5-31-2005 at 07:06 PM

I've been travelling south of the border for 37 years now. I've always called Baja by that name not "The Baja." So, I'm curious how do you refer to Baja.

Zac

[Edited on 6-1-2005 by Bajaboy]

David K - 5-31-2005 at 07:19 PM

Have you ever met any Canadians there?:lol::lol::lol:

How about The Sahara or The Kalahari where 'Desert' is dropped from the name, because everyone knows already... also The Sudan?

The Baja for us non-Canadians is perhaps a shorter term for 'the Baja peninsula' or 'the Baja race'...

'Baja' does live well without California added to it... and I do use just 'Baja' without 'The' in front, most of the time, if not always. I did have a license plate 'The Baja', however, in 1980 + when California increased plates to 7 characters.

what you call it

tehag - 5-31-2005 at 07:20 PM

Baja California, and some people are rather strong on this. Baja, The Baja, and especially Baja Mexico are not appreciated by many Baja Californianos.

David K - 5-31-2005 at 07:26 PM

Tehag, you have to admit that the word 'Baja' is used extremely heavily by locals for their business names... and not for businesses that cater just to tourists, either...

Baja Materials, Baja Liquor, Baja Auto, etc.

When some PC types tried to change the two state names in 1974-75 to Juarez (for BC) and SudCalifornia (for BCS) they were soundly defeated...

elgatoloco - 5-31-2005 at 10:46 PM

I use all of them. Baja , The Baja, Baja Norte, Baja Sur, The Peninsula.

To me 'The Baja' is a term of endearment I use when speaking generally about a place that I have been 'discovering' my whole life.

I was fortunate enough to hear first hand the famous author Jimmy Smith express his general distaste for the term.

We also touched on how I felt about the totally irrational and absurd misconceptation by some nitwits that the the "Real Baja" started somewhere south of El Rosario/Catavi?a/Guerroro Negro whatever. Anyone marooon can see that it starts at the US/Mexico border.

As I recall it he agreed with me.

To each his own.

Respectfully,

elgatoloco
:biggrin::P;D

turtleandtoad - 6-1-2005 at 06:01 AM

I've always used "on the Baja" because I thought Baja was spanish for peninsula, so "Baja California" translated to "California Peninsula".

If that's true then "Baja peninsula" would translate into "Peninsula peninsula" and the correct usage in english would be "on the Baja" as in "on the peninsula".

Of course, as another "Spanish Impared" person I might be totally wrong about this. But I am trying to learn the language.

Thanks EGL

Keri - 6-1-2005 at 06:24 AM

I've always used "The Baja" as an endearment also, didn't know anyone else felt that way. It makes it a kinda special place ,don't you think? I also agree with you on the "real baja" it's everywhere: Baja is not only a place it's also a feeling. yes:k By the way, I also use Baja and Baja Sur. :yes:

[Edited on 6-1-2005 by Keri]

Bruce R Leech - 6-1-2005 at 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by turtleandtoad
I've always used "on the Baja" because I thought Baja was spanish for peninsula, so "Baja California" translated to "California Peninsula".

If that's true then "Baja peninsula" would translate into "Peninsula peninsula" and the correct usage in english would be "on the Baja" as in "on the peninsula".

Of course, as another "Spanish Impared" person I might be totally wrong about this. But I am trying to learn the language.

that would be OK if Baja meant Peninsula but it doesn't.

Neither

fdt - 6-1-2005 at 07:54 AM

being a Baja California native and having lived also in Baja California Sur, I as well as others call it Baja California for the northern state (#29) and Baja California Sur for the southern state (#31). When refering to the peninsula as a hole we say la Peninsula de Baja California and even sometimes when it's a binational type of thing and includes the US State of California we call it las Californias. Tehag is correct in saying that calling it other names is not appreciated by the vast majority of us, but also David is correct in saying that it is used for many things as Baja only. Where I have to dissagree is that the word Baja as in Baja auto, Baja liquor, Baja materials is "not" heavily used by locals, you have to take in to consideration that were you find such names is mostly in heavily populated areas were the so called locals are not from Baja California, but have made it their place of bussines and home and do not realy have any type of roots in Baja California. In the days of president Miguel de la Madrid there was a decret forbiding the use of the name Baja alone, and the best example of that that I rememeber is the Hotel Gran Baja in La Paz, they had to change the name, signage, advertisement, letterhead, etc. an it then read Hotel Gran Baja with the same big letters and Baja California Sur with small print. I have in the past heard that people (natives) from places like San Francisco do not appreciate it being called frisco, and those "native" to Las Vegas don't appreciate it being called vegas. I think that if it's easyer for you to call it just baja or the baja it is ok and most natives will accept it comming from you guys, but were it's deffinetly not accepted is comming from a mexican, everytime I hear one call it baja or la baja I think to myself "P-nche pocho pendejo". Finaly were we who are from Baja California get really upset is when a mexican calls it Baja California Norte.

wilderone - 6-1-2005 at 08:20 AM

THE Baja drives me crazy. Would you say, "I'm going to The Nevada"? Baja, California is a state. If you mean to indicate in communication that you're traveling down the peninsula - if you want to use that term -- then use that term. But "Baja Peninsula" is a non-entity, per se. It's descriptive only.

bajapablo - 6-1-2005 at 08:49 AM

I like to go to Baja and sometimes I take The Wife.

David K - 6-1-2005 at 08:56 AM

Too bad that 'Baja' needs 'California' attached for some.
Do you always ask for a 'Kleenex Tissue'... One can live without the other.

I am just having fun here... 'Baja' means lower, most of us should know.

However, 'Baja' has become so popular and well known that it alone does describe the peninsula and all the positive energy associated with it... Matt (egl) said it quite well, above.

Don't get hung up on the technical exact translation of the word, as all the people who say Baja alone will just upset you.

Historically, the peninsula (first believed to be an island) was given the name 'California'...

When the Spanish claimed the land north of the peninsula, it was called 'Alta California'. Odd how things reversed in the 1800's... California became Baja California and Alta California became California.

Harry Crosby likes to call the peninsula: Antigua California (Ancient California)...

'Viva la peninsula de Baja California' or 'got baja california peninsula?' are just to long for a bumper sticker, as well!!! :lol:

Bruce R Leech - 6-1-2005 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
THE Baja drives me crazy. Would you say, "I'm going to The Nevada"? Baja, California is a state. If you mean to indicate in communication that you're traveling down the peninsula - if you want to use that term -- then use that term. But "Baja Peninsula" is a non-entity, per se. It's descriptive only.

I don't use The Baja ether . but you comparison is not correct. when a person says The Baja they are referring to a Regen not a specific state. so while the Nevada is not correct the south west is or the south or the Dakotas and so forth.

Bajapablo

Keri - 6-1-2005 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajapablo
I like to go to Baja and sometimes I take The Wife.
you are one smart dude,k:lol::lol:

bajalera - 6-1-2005 at 10:07 PM

I really dislike "The Baja," for no particular reason except that it sounds strange to me.

Cardon - 6-1-2005 at 10:26 PM

Baja or The Baja, either one works for me. Sadly , I'm referring to it as
Mexifornia more and more often.

yankeeirishman - 6-2-2005 at 07:46 AM

la Peninsula de Baja California . Yeah. Yeah! I like that!

Now I will refer my hometown to: The city of Sacramento of California of United States of America. Oh hell, never mind?call it Sacto!

Time to hit Baja again...er la Peninsula de Baja California ! :lol:

i go to "the baja"

eetdrt88 - 6-2-2005 at 08:19 AM

everytime i get " the chance" and like bajapablo i also bring " the wife"....... and "the kids":o:o:o

wilderone - 6-2-2005 at 08:29 AM

But you wouldn't call it "the Sacto" would you?

So Cal lexigraphic archiver (60's-70's-80s)

Gypsy Jan - 6-2-2005 at 10:15 PM

Growing up in Southern California amongst surfers and off-roaders,

amongst the phrases that were used, it was always "Baja", as in ..."going to Baja", "...got trashed in Baja", "....awesome time in Baja", etc., etc. (I left out the others like, "I had a f****** great time in Baja.")

Just my small addition to the cultural archive.

[Edited on 6-3-2005 by Gypsy Jan]

Eli - 6-3-2005 at 08:48 AM

I'll second Gypsy Jan on her insight and memory, I agree whole heartly, it is simply a So Cal kinda of cultural thing.

It seems like it has always just been plain ol Baja for me. No big deal; Cabo San Lucas is Cabo, Los Angeles is L.A., and yes even San Fransico is just Frisco in my vocabulary.

Still, I sure do recall my Son-in Law, who is as old fashioned rasied ranchero style Baja Californiano as they come comfortably as all gid out refering to Baja California as La Baja, quien sabe, Sara

David K - 6-3-2005 at 06:40 PM

Viva La Baja! (who are we to argue with a native son, who lives there?):light::spingrin:

Anonymous - 6-3-2005 at 10:44 PM

I say Baja in english, but refer to it as Baja California in Spanish.

I learn by copying how others say it, and it sounds strange to me to hear "the Baja."

Canadian or Colonial connotations.

yankeeirishman - 6-4-2005 at 01:39 PM

I call it "New California" :lol: