BajaNomad

Taking Gas into Baja

BajaHawk - 6-3-2005 at 07:03 PM

Can you take gas, say a few 5 gal. cans, into Mex? I have heard some say they will take it in "Secondary".

turtleandtoad - 6-3-2005 at 07:09 PM

Why would you want to? Gas is cheaper in Mexico.

bajalou - 6-3-2005 at 07:27 PM

Take all the gas cans you want - just no gas in them till you fill them at the nearest Pemex.

:D

Full or empty

John M - 6-3-2005 at 09:57 PM

We have them on the outside of the vehicle all the time and even when we have to stop to get a visa and the folks at "secondary" never have batted an eye. Not to say they can't.....

But, I agree, why buy it at San Diego prices when you can get it for less in Baja.

rpleger - 6-3-2005 at 10:33 PM

I`ve been across and back with full jerry cans on my Suzuki and nobody ever said anything. I carry extra in case there might be a station without fuel along the way.

oladulce - 6-3-2005 at 11:08 PM

We've had them take the caps off the gas cans and check, but because we know to have them empty when crossing, we've had no trouble.

David K - 6-4-2005 at 07:50 AM

They checked my empty red can in Tecate, and even the full blue water can... he sniffed it.

Gas into Baja

BajaRob - 6-4-2005 at 08:29 AM

All of our neighbors that came down for Memorial Day were required to dump their gas into 55 gallon drums, obviously for the use of the border guards. They did not want pre-mixed 2 cycle gas. One of them dumped 5 gallons of diesel fuel in the drum. That will make a lot of smoke. Rob

yankeeirishman - 6-4-2005 at 01:36 PM

I never had problems with this. My two 5-gal-tanks sit up top of the Rover (like smoke stacks), never had a question about it. I was detained last month at the gates for improper paperwork...and not one word was said about the tanks. I keep my full all the time.
Having said all this....fill your tanks in Mexico!

Anonymous - 6-4-2005 at 03:06 PM

You are allowed 5 gallons per vehicle.

Anonymous - 6-4-2005 at 03:27 PM

No you're not... only what is already in your built in gas tank(s). Otherwise, prove it with documentation... As I stated above my ONE (red) 5 gallon (19 litre) can was checked to see if ANY gas was in it ... in addition the other (BLUE) 5 gallon can was also checked.

David K - 6-4-2005 at 03:29 PM

That was me...

I have two tanks mounted

jrbaja - 6-4-2005 at 03:48 PM

on the back of my van. Although it has been some time since I visited the wasteland to the north, I always brought gas down in cans. Those two as well as extra cans for my boat and bikes which is needed if you are going anywhere besides a gringo enclave.

David K - 6-4-2005 at 03:54 PM

Well, there is also no reason to bring gringo gas into Baja... because the gas there is also very likely gringo gas, it works just the same (no pinging)... and it is cheaper... In San Diego County today, the cheap stations are selling regular for around $2.29/ gal.

Well...yes there is

yankeeirishman - 6-4-2005 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Well, there is also no reason to bring gringo gas into Baja... because the gas there is also very likely gringo gas, it works just the same (no pinging)... and it is cheaper... In San Diego County today, the cheap stations are selling regular for around $2.29/ gal.

Well, there is a reason to bring gringo gas into Baja.
I carry the extra gas really FOR California driving thru the desert at night (we almost always drive to San Felipe at night). Last thing I need is to get stuck at the Borax mines , two a.m. at night!

Dave - 6-4-2005 at 05:37 PM

Other than the gas being cheaper, another benefit of taking your unfilled cans to Mexico is that they expand when you cross the border. I don't know how it happens but most times you can get 22-23 ltrs in a 19 ltr can. Magic!:biggrin:

oladulce - 6-4-2005 at 05:59 PM

Actually the cans don't expand, the petrol becomes condensed as you go south which results in those higher numbers on the Pemex pumps.

That's why there is often water in the fuel- you're supposed to add that later.

[Edited on 6-5-2005 by oladulce]

Dave - 6-4-2005 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Actually the cans don't expand, the petrol becomes condensed

OK, Mr Wizard:

The liquid petrol condenses into what? You almost had me going there but I'm not dumber than I think I am. Sure am glad I paid attention in science class.

You wouldn't, by chance, work for Pemex?

Tucker - 6-4-2005 at 06:32 PM

For what it's worth: A few months ago my gardener and I drove somewhere that necessitated pumping gasoline, when the pump shut off he drained the hose. Wow, did that bring back memories of my misspent youth! Depending on the diameter and length of the hose this could be a significant volume. When measureing cans for volume be sure the hose is full.

Dave - 6-4-2005 at 06:42 PM

Must have been an old style pump. New ones don't work that way. The flow is cut at the handle.

oladulce - 6-4-2005 at 06:50 PM

South of 32 degrees N., Mexoleum evaporatus occurs which results in the condensation of petoleum. It remains in it's liquid state but it now takes up less space like Campbell's soup.

This is why the Pemex pump will register that you can fit 23 liters in to a 19 liter can.

Once you get to the more arid regions of the peninsula they will add water to the fuel.

Dave - 6-4-2005 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
South of 32 degrees N., Mexoleum evaporatus occurs which results in the condensation of petoleum. It remains in it's liquid state but it now takes up less space like Campbell's soup.

So you're saying I can fill the tank and have lunch at the same time?

What a country!

BajaHawk - 6-5-2005 at 02:01 PM

"Other than the gas being cheaper, another benefit of taking your unfilled cans to Mexico is that they expand when you cross the border. I don't know how it happens but most times you can get 22-23 ltrs in a 19 ltr can. Magic!"

... that, and just having an extra 10 gals, is why I inquired about being able to bring some down. Does everyone think gas is still cheaper in Mex vs. San Diego. Seems it was a little more costly in Mex last summer.

yankeeirishman - 6-5-2005 at 02:10 PM

I never really see cheaper cost of gasline in Mexico..oh well...maybe a dime less or whatever. Hardly enough saved to buy me a fish taco with the savings! I think it may be a misconception to some Greenhorns, that gas down there is dirt cheap. It's not!

Gas Last Summer

MrBillM - 6-5-2005 at 03:37 PM

The prices for Gasoline in San Felipe last summer (verde, Roja):

Jun-- 5.86 / 6.92 pesos por litro
Jul-- 5.88 / 6.94
Aug-- 5.89 / 6.95
Sep-- 5.91 / 6.98

The Peso was (approx):

Jun 03--- 11.25
Jun 12--- 11.15
Jul 19--- 11.20
Aug 07--- 11.25
Aug 21--- 11.15
Sep 11--- 11.45

BTW: I always carry some gasoline when heading south. I have NEVER had to pour it out. I used to carry a plywood box I had made for two Military style Jerry cans. The first time I crossed the border in February after the law had been changed , I was told not to do it again. Now I usually have one 5 gallon and one 2.5 gallon on board. It's been questioned a few times, but waved off.

[Edited on 6-5-2005 by MrBillM]