BajaNomad

Ensenada 6-11-05 YUMMY! Photos!

David K - 6-12-2005 at 11:35 PM

'Baja Angel' and I crossed the border about 11:30 am Saturday morning and arrived at Cocteleria Mazatlan at 1:00 pm to meet 'Bob H' and wife Audrey (already seated with a bucket of Pacificos)...

Just a few minutes after Elizabeth and I arrived, Dennis ('LOVE2GO2BAJA') showed up... Dennis lives in Ensenada and has been working very hard on a book about the cave art of Baja and the religious practices of the ancient natives who were associated with the art.

We ordered Almejas al Carbon, Oysters (al Carbon), Garlic Shrimp, and a bucket of PACIFICOS!

We all enjoyed our time there... and can recommend it to the rest of you sea food loving Nomads.

To find Cocteleria Mazatlan: Take the inland route of Mex. 1 where it splits just before Ensenada (ie. not the route that goes near the harbor). Pass the Pemex on the left, and continue straight (do not turn off this street, which is 10th Street). Pass the next Pemex on the right and spot the tall Pacifico sign ahead on the right... That's it... just past a car wash. Park on the street or their large parking lot, just past the restaurant.

To be continued...

[Edited on 6-13-2005 by David K]

David K - 6-12-2005 at 11:38 PM

Audrey and Bob H...

David K - 6-12-2005 at 11:49 PM

Here's Dennis ('LOVE2GO2BAJA' on Nomad)... Here's a post by Dennis where his expertese on the native cave artists is expressed... http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=6261#pid45912

David K - 6-12-2005 at 11:56 PM

The food!
Clams and Oysters, al Carbon... diced up shell meat, with shrimp and scallops added, cooked in butter and garlic, then covered with melted cheese...

David K - 6-13-2005 at 12:10 AM

We sure have fun in Baja... with good friends from Baja Nomad!

TO BE CONTINUED!

David K - 6-13-2005 at 12:44 AM

We left Cocteleria Mazatlan about 3:40 and followed Bob and Audrey to the main tourist street (Lopez Mateos) where they had an idea for a place we could crash inexpensively for the night... Motel Caribe Inn... secure parking... albeit noisey, for $35.

The four of us then walked around the corner where we enjoyed some margies at $4.50 for TWO... served right on the sidewalk. An artist drew a characature of Baja Angel and I while we were there drinking.

The next day (Sunday, June 12) we drove 30 minutes north to meet Bob and Audrey at the La Salina harbor for breakfast, at 10 am. We were turned on to this place by Baja Bernie last April (during the book signing)... and it was great and cheap, too!

After the nice and inexpensive breakfast, at the harbor, we went to La Fonda to see what the brunch looked like... also Del Rio's... WOW: Lot's of good food... and busy! Demetri's old place (original La Fonda) is being torn down or remodled for ???

We pulled off to try and see Mision Descanso, but the church grounds where the mission site is were locked up (on a Sunday about noon!!??)

By the time we reached Rosarito, we had room for the famous Tacos Yaqui... man were they good!!!

Otay border wait was 1 hour and 4 minutes starting at 3:26 Sunday afternoon...

A great weekend!!!

(photo of a dummy at the military checkpoint)

David K - 6-13-2005 at 08:27 AM

Dennis and Bob also took photos with their cameras, so I hope they will post any good ones or email them to me to share with you all.

Want to try some great Baja food? Make sure to attend the first ever Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival, in El Rosario July 22-24!

Bob H - 6-13-2005 at 11:30 AM

David, you surely are fast with getting these photos up. I'll probably have some time to get some of mine up over the weekend. Had a fantastic weekend, and man was all that food GREAT!
Bob H

David K - 6-13-2005 at 05:33 PM

Bob, you will note that I was up around midnight getting this report to our fellow Nomads 'hungry' for details! LOL!

Baja Angel - 6-13-2005 at 06:06 PM

:o AAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!

Bob!!! You mean you are going to make us wait until the weekend to see any pics? :?:
Thats just not fair.... :(
:saint:

ummm...

eetdrt88 - 6-13-2005 at 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The food!
Clams and Oysters, al Carbon... diced up shell meat, with shrimp and scallops added, cooked in butter and garlic, then covered with melted cheese...

these pictures should not be allowed as they make the person viewing extremely hungry for good baja seafood,,,this is a form of torture which just shouldnt be allowed on this forum:lol::lol::lol:

David K - 6-13-2005 at 10:10 PM

Click on 'Report Post' to Doug, for possible deletion!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

David K, what a boring weekend!

The Gull - 6-14-2005 at 06:48 AM

Here's my weekend. Driving in San Diego Saturday, I sprung a leak in a cooling hose to my transmission, got towed, spent $200 and seven hours to get a temporary fix.

That night, got drunk at Ricky's.

Sunday, 10 am ate brunch at La Fonda - bloody marys were disgusting. I think they may be made with blood. Food was great, service was good.

Sunday, I waited 20 minutes for that dummy in your photo to wave me through. Finally, I just drove around him and went curio shopping at the shops across from Fox. Got a real bargain on a Bart Simpson bank and a Finding Nemo soap dish.

Drove to the border and spent 15 seconds in the SENTRI line before being permitted to enter the US. The effects of 9/11 has clearly slowed that process!

David K - 6-14-2005 at 07:37 AM

Funny Gull, funny!

Bob H - 6-18-2005 at 08:56 AM

I finally got around to posting some photos. Here's Baja Angel and David K - a very happy couple!

Bob H - 6-18-2005 at 08:57 AM

Adobado cooking and tequila! WOW

[Edited on 6-18-2005 by Bob H]

Bob H - 6-18-2005 at 09:00 AM

Fish and shrimp BBQ skewers! Nice, huh?

Bob H - 6-18-2005 at 09:02 AM

Tequila is good for something, no? Audrey gets me just as the camera flashes...

Bob H - 6-18-2005 at 09:03 AM

Fish taco meat! Yummy!!

Bob H - 6-18-2005 at 09:08 AM

Elizabeth is ready to plow in to some fantastic garlic shrimp. Look at the food on that table! Now, that's what I'm talking about!

[Edited on 6-19-2005 by Bob H]

Bob H - 6-18-2005 at 09:18 AM

My Ranger and David's truck... Audrey gets tired of posing for this photo and turns her back on me. Hah, maybe the bloody mary is kicking in!
Leaving La Salina Harbor after breakfast.

Bob H - 6-18-2005 at 09:22 AM

Nice menu and prices, right next door to Hussongs Cantina. Audrey and I went there before we ended up at Cocteileria Mazatlan. Had a quick fish taco there.

Bob H - 6-18-2005 at 09:25 AM

Audrey is ready to dig in to her BBQ fish and shrimp skewers! Looks great, huh?

Bob H - 6-18-2005 at 09:30 AM

Elizabeth and David enjoy their BBQ clams and oysters! Very tasty indeed...

David K - 6-18-2005 at 10:14 AM

Great pictures Bob... You have captured some of the Viva Baja spirit, for sure!!!

When do we go back!!!???:yes::yes::yes:

Bob H - 6-18-2005 at 06:08 PM

It was a blast! Any time you want to do this again, we're ready. I need to ask Mexray if he can send me one of his stickers and also if he has any more Matomi hats for sale.

David and Elizabeth, tell people what you thought of c-ckteleria Mazatlan!

Bob H:spingrin:

[Edited on 6-19-2005 by Bob H]

David K - 6-19-2005 at 11:50 AM

Bob,
It was great... naturally! All food in Baja is great (well, when you are with fellow Baja Nomads at their favorite place that is)!
Mexray did a good job with the hat... and 'Baja Time' decal, too.

capt. mike - 6-19-2005 at 02:36 PM

but Bob.....what about the dessert??......and i don't mean postres mi fumando amigo. los puros!! BTW - i just enjoyed one Lst noche that you sent me which i saved, the torpido...magnifico!

that food looked good - what about the hooch?

Bob H - 6-20-2005 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
but Bob.....what about the dessert??......and i don't mean postres mi fumando amigo. los puros!! BTW - i just enjoyed one Lst noche that you sent me which i saved, the torpido...magnifico!

that food looked good - what about the hooch?

Capt. Mike
You will be dissapointed to know that I did not bring any with me (and I refuse to pay those gouging prices for the ones for sale down there). I just plain 'ol forgot! :wow:
Bob H

Ken Cooke - 7-1-2005 at 12:52 AM

David,

Those pics of mariscos are making my mouth water. Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing with us...:yes: