BajaNomad

Hand Fire Engines

White Angel - 6-15-2005 at 12:30 PM

Have any of you seen a hand fire engine (handtub/pumper) anywhere on the Baja? I would think a few may have survived and might be in a museum somewhere; but have never come across one. Here in New England many survive and we even compete with them in the summer. Virtually every town in Maine still has one tucked away and there are a couple dozen throughout NE in competition condition. The Hunneman Co. of Boston built over 900 hand engines and shipped them all over the country and Mexico as well. The bulk of them were built from 1835-1870. After than steam engines took over in the cities and most hand engines were retired by 1900; but in smaller towns and poorer regions, many were still in use until the 1920's. Santa Rosalia would seem the most likely Baja town; but then again, they have had French equipment.

Me No - 6-15-2005 at 04:14 PM

I believe the oldest operating Fire truck in baja is at the San Felipe airport.

Jimmy Smith, once delivered a firetruck to La Paz. I think that is the most important one.

You have to remember most of Baja is a desert and fire is not the biggest concern. Others can probably give you a better reason.

Bruce R Leech - 6-15-2005 at 04:18 PM

White Angel can you post a photo of one please?

jerry - 6-15-2005 at 04:22 PM

hard to burn cement,block, brick any burnables would be gone in a flash long befor any fire fighting could take place
have a good one jerry

White Angel - 6-15-2005 at 05:13 PM

Bruce; I wish I could; but lack both a scanner and the know-how. If any of you are interested; here's a website full of photos and links to our competition machines: www.thejukeyard.com/handtubs.htm You might get a kick out of this if you've never them in action!

White Angel - 6-16-2005 at 11:46 AM

Sorry Bruce-try just; www.handtub.com and then enter and click on 2004 for several still photos. If you explore the site; there are videos and other links; but several photos of handtubs. If there are any on Baja; they will likely look like the "Gerry" ; "Hanc-ck"; or "Quansigamound"