BajaNomad

Pacific side heat

Sharksbaja - 7-1-2005 at 12:09 AM

Does it ever get real hot along the Pacific side anywhere along the coast. I have been in places like Mallirrimo and it was very cool. Is it the same south. Do you get heat waves with no wind at all? What the average temp in summer on the beach in Baja Sur? Thanks

dono - 7-1-2005 at 06:30 AM

Sharks, its normally 10* to15* cooler on the pacific side in the summer but if an el Nino is working and the water get really warm it can be almost the same temp as the Cortez side, we went to Todos Santos 2 weeks ago and it was freezing at 75* but i think a normal summer temp over there is around 85* to 90*

temp line

Sharksbaja - 7-1-2005 at 11:31 AM

since it is called the "warm-water zone, how much warmer than Baja Norte is the water in Sur?

wrk - 7-1-2005 at 12:52 PM

Ninety-nine today in Todos Santos in the shade.

Capt. George - 7-1-2005 at 01:07 PM

dono were you staying on the beach in a four wheel camper??

george from Abreojos.....

dono - 7-1-2005 at 04:42 PM

Capt. George, no I live in los Barriles, but would like to be out camping in the four wheeler.

oladulce - 7-2-2005 at 11:59 AM

Became tired of guessing and got air and water thermometers. Here are some averages off the top of my head for the Pacific side south of Laguna San Ignacio/North of Mag bay.

June (D) 88-92 (N) 66-74 (W) 54- 72

July (D) 92-98 (N) 70-75 (W)70-76

August (D)94-99+ (N) 74-80 (W)75-79

Sept (D) 92-98 (N)72- 76 (W)77-84

There's almost always some kind of wind here except between 11pm and 2am. Very rarely is it too hot to sleep (as long as you have access to fans all night). Mostly happens when monsoonal flow comes up from the south associated with tropical activity- August but most often Sept.

When the palm on the palapa starts to look damp and the wind swings around to come from the SE, the water can warm up to near-Cabo temps. It only takes a day of the usual dry NW wind to drop it back down 6 degrees.

Doesn't sound like much but there's a big difference between 78 and 84 (ahhh) degree water.

The only time you won't need long sleeves at night is July/August (if you're out in the elements,like camping).

I'll try to pay closer attention to the humidity, but as I recall it averages 60% or so.

[Edited on 7-2-2005 by oladulce]

what about....

eetdrt88 - 7-2-2005 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Became tired of guessing and got air and water thermometers. Here are some averages off the top of my head for the Pacific side south of Laguna San Ignacio/North of Mag bay.

June (D) 88-92 (N) 66-74 (W) 54- 72

July (D) 92-98 (N) 70-75 (W)70-76

August (D)94-99+ (N) 74-80 (W)75-79

Sept (D) 92-98 (N)72- 76 (W)77-84

There's almost always some kind of wind here except between 11pm and 2am. Very rarely is it too hot to sleep (as long as you have access to fans all night). Mostly happens when monsoonal flow comes up from the south associated with tropical activity- August but most often Sept.

When the palm on the palapa starts to look damp and the wind swings around to come from the SE, the water can warm up to near-Cabo temps. It only takes a day of the usual dry NW wind to drop it back down 6 degrees.

Doesn't sound like much but there's a big difference between 78 and 84 (ahhh) degree water.

The only time you won't need long sleeves at night is July/August (if you're out in the elements,like camping).

I'll try to pay closer attention to the humidity, but as I recall it averages 60% or so.

[Edited on 7-2-2005 by oladulce]
oct.-dec.,what happens then????

Sharksbaja - 7-3-2005 at 12:47 AM

What I was thinking about was the comfort or lack thereof Does , say in the S. Juanico area, have lower humidity like Baja Norte when it's hot. I have always lived and worked on the shores of the Pacific Coast and was wondering if the humidity is lower on the Pacific side down thereas opposed to Mulege?

oladulce - 7-3-2005 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
I have always lived and worked on the shores of the Pacific Coast and was wondering if the humidity is lower on the Pacific side down thereas opposed to Mulege?

Yes Sharks, the humidity is lower at least in the mid-section of the Baja Sur Pacific coast than on the gulf side. There are only a few days out of the year that feel sticky (when there's tropical activity passing thru)- most of the time it's dry as a bone no matter how hot it gets.

The S. Juanico area is unique tho because, although the wind comes off the ocean, it blows across enough desert before reaching the inside of the bay and the town of S. Juanico that most of the moisture is zapped out of the air. You can feel an increase in the moisture if you go out to the exposed beaches on the "outside", but it's still nothing like the gulf side in the summer.

South of Mag Bay is a different scenario.

eetdrt88: Oct- Dec is a big spread, but in general it goes from hot days and cool nights, to warm days and butt-cold nights.

One thing about the Pacific side

jrbaja - 7-3-2005 at 11:59 AM

is without a tent or roof, everything is going to be drenched in the morning. Including your sleeping bags, cereal boxes, electronics, etc.:light:

Diver - 7-3-2005 at 12:52 PM

Just like camping at the Oregon coast !
Even sleeping inside, you wake up sticky !

I've had plenty of over 80 degree days in and around Todos Santos.
Even some over 80 days at Punta Abrejoho; it just takes a while to warm up in the morning and cools down fast in the evening.

Calamajue

Skipjack Joe - 7-3-2005 at 06:18 PM

Don,t know about the pacific side but it was 110 in the shade as we passed coco?s corner about a week ago. A cold beer never tasted so refreshing.

ats what I figgered

Sharksbaja - 7-3-2005 at 06:22 PM

Thanks for the ed.

rob - 7-5-2005 at 08:42 AM

Interesting!

Here at Rancho la Aguja (70 miles north of TS between Punta Conejo and Punta Marquez), we have a markedly different climate to Todos. I think it must be something to do with sea currents - the summers are notably less humid, with AVERAGE daytime temps July-Oct at 85F.

I have kept a daily log of highs and lows for 4 years now, and the highest temperature ever recorded here in that period was in JANUARY at 96F during a northerly!

This year has been slower than usual to warm up, with June having cool fogs most days. Last Friday summer hit.

Rob

Hey Rob

jrbaja - 7-5-2005 at 08:50 AM

Are you the guy with the tree farm ?

Some good observations here......

Hook - 7-5-2005 at 01:27 PM

....but it would be helpful if those of you who live down there and have posted direct readings would post your distance from the water.

As most of us know, temps can vary greatly on the Pacific side at locations that are only a mile or so closer or farther from the water.

re Distance from water

rob - 7-11-2005 at 07:49 AM

sorry this response is tardy.

The temps mentioned above at Rancho La Aguja are taken on the covered patio of my house about 300 meters from the Pacific.

JRbaja - no, not the guy with the tree farm. Somewhere I heard about a (SEMARNAT?) project where they will give you up to 1000 mesquite seedlings if you plant and nurture them, but cannot find out the reality . . .

Best wishes

Rob