BajaNomad

Travelling down Baja in June/July

beddows - 9-30-2003 at 08:53 AM

We are planning a trip down the penninsular in June/July 2004, in our truck & camper (non 4X4, gas). Is there anything we should be aware of travelling at this time of year, especially climate-wise. We have A/C in the truck, plus A/C in our camper that will run off our portable generator. We tow a utility trailer with 2 containers of drinking water. Are we likely to encounter other travellers in RV's that we can buddy up with?

Also does anyone know about how much it would cost to take a camper & utility trailer on the ferry over to the mainland. Friends with a similar setup did it for $275 in 2000.

Bajabus - 9-30-2003 at 09:15 AM

high lift jack, wooden blocks to place below it, extra belts and hoses, duct tape and bailing wire, extra gas filters (a must), debit card to withdraw US funds from ATM's, MEXICAN insurance with a clause stipulating they will pay for bail bonds and a lawyer, how big are the containers, you want at least 5 gallons per person of fresh water if you go off the main roads, a positive attitude and friendly smile, calculator for quick dollar to peso exchange at the gas pumps if need be (count out the bills you give to the attendant one by one and slowly), 2 cans fix a flat, basic tools. You will meet plenty of nice folks and have a great time. Good luck.

June/July Travel

Baja Red - 9-30-2003 at 09:58 AM

IT WILL BE WARM!! Sun screen, big hat a must. I have even carried a hand operated pump "mister" just to stay "cool". Feels good with ice water in it. (I had one last year at the Serinidad hotel and had a swarm of kids around me wanting to get sprayed!!) Enjoy your trip.

Mag Bay

Capt. George - 9-30-2003 at 11:15 AM

If you plan on visiting there, bring a flak jacket and hemet......if you don't have access to that equipment.....a full size head mask of Bill Chenney will do.

Have a great trip.....