BajaNomad

what are you drinking tonight?

pokey - 7-1-2005 at 08:26 PM

I just opened a 12 pack of MGD that I bought at Smart and Final earlier today(on sale). The beginning of the end of another fine day in Baja ;D

Ken Bondy - 7-1-2005 at 09:06 PM

Johnny Walker Red Tequila

Dave - 7-1-2005 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pokey
I just opened a 12 pack of MGD that I bought at Smart and Final earlier today(on sale). The beginning of the end of another fine day in Baja ;D

You live in Ensenada and drink MGD?:o

You must be Mexican.:biggrin:

Bajaddict - 7-1-2005 at 09:21 PM

I've got two MGD 40's laid in for the evening. Just cracked the first.... delicious.

FORTY OUNCES TO FREEDOM!! :lol:

Frank - 7-1-2005 at 09:22 PM

Manzana Lift, golden :bounce:

Tucker - 7-1-2005 at 09:24 PM

On this hot and humid evening, I'm drinking ice water, waiting for it to cool off enough to go to bed.

capt. mike - 7-1-2005 at 09:28 PM

SoJu....the National drink of Korea!!

it is unbelievable!!

Ken Bondy - 7-1-2005 at 09:30 PM

capt. mike

What is it?

Paulina - 7-1-2005 at 10:13 PM

TKT

jeans - 7-1-2005 at 10:37 PM

Tall mint mocha chip Frappucino at my Poway office

Sharksbaja - 7-1-2005 at 11:44 PM

Arizona Green Tea

Capt. George - 7-2-2005 at 05:08 AM

Prestone Super Anti-Freeze w/ limon of course

Pacifico Chaser

bajajudy - 7-2-2005 at 06:30 AM

Beer Of Course

Pacifico...nada mas

Topvar...

eetdrt88 - 7-2-2005 at 06:10 PM

it a lager from the slovak republic....pretty tasty stuff:yes:

pokey - 7-2-2005 at 06:22 PM

Ha! I'm so f'n boring. I'm still working on the MGDs:lol:

bajajudy - 7-2-2005 at 06:41 PM

Pokey
Yo tambien
Pacifico en mi mano....que bueno
Hay muchos Pacificos aqui....gracias a dios!
Siempre, yo hablo espanol cuando tomo mucha cerveza. Y hablo muy bien, verdad.
Adios

Oso - 7-2-2005 at 06:42 PM

Just bought a Back to Basics Smoothie Duo at Sam's. Chops ice much better than a regular blender. Spozed to use it for healthy fruit/ice "smoothies", but it's woorrrkinng puurrrtyy goood ferr pinox pinas pi??a culadoos an mmmaaargarrritaas...

Bajaboy - 7-2-2005 at 07:10 PM

Sierra Nevada

Milk!

jrbaja - 7-2-2005 at 07:19 PM

And pretty soon an A&W Root Beer Float:bounce::bounce:

Enough fun last night with friends from Barriles, Flaco and my (good neighbors)!:o:bounce: It even hurt to hear our hair grow this am:lol:

Bajagato - 7-2-2005 at 07:26 PM

kamakazi's!!!!!!!

It depends on the time of day...

Mexray - 7-2-2005 at 07:42 PM

Breakfast, Pacifico over Corn flakes...

Lunch, Pacifico con Tacos al pastor...

Lunch, 1/2 hour later, Pacifico - Ballena, right out of the ice chest.

Dinner, Pacifico con Limon - oh yes, and a nice juicy Tri-Tip roasted all day in the slow-cooking smoker...

Bedtime, cookies and warm Pacifico - YUK! Maybe just a shot of Tequila will do!

roundtuit - 7-2-2005 at 08:57 PM

Johnny Red wiith a twist Mulege Carne Asada on the sid
Almost Baja

rpleger - 7-3-2005 at 12:25 PM

Root Beer float, spun up in a blender.

Diver - 7-3-2005 at 12:40 PM

You guy's are killing me !!!
I haven't had a beer, shot, soda, milk, ice cream, float or any of the deliciousiosities you have mentioned in over a year.

Damn ***#*#*###* acid reflux !!!

Gatorade and Tumms make a really silly party drink !
And old guys always look stupid with Maalox mustaches !

Diver

jrbaja - 7-3-2005 at 02:06 PM

maybe if you stopped reading these message boards your stomach wouldn't be so nervous.:lol::lol::lol:

Let's see, messing with the masses or root beer float. (more on that later!) Root Beer Float!!:bounce:

Now, a root beer float cannot be blended! It needs to be in a frosted mug with scoops of vanilla. Then, the root beer is poured slowly over the ice cream and where the root beer forms a crystal on the ice cream, this is what you are lookin for. The absolute best reason for one of these delicacies.

Apologies to those unable to participate but with enough description, you may just be able to taste it!:light:

Diver - 7-3-2005 at 02:55 PM

Jr, I asked the doctor about that but he said that leaving my wife wouldn't help either !

And although I hate to start any controversy;

Personally, I think filling an icy mug about half way with icy cold root beer and then ever so gently, dropping in a few large scoops of ice cream helps maintain the highest level of inate carbonation therefore increasing the percieved level of flavor and allowing for a greater volume of audible after-float floculation. I may not be able to drink them, but I have a great memory !

Gad sakes

jrbaja - 7-3-2005 at 03:09 PM

I think you are spot on with the technique!:lol:
But, (that other guy) you know, the one who :no:blends:no: is hopefully paying attention!:lol::lol::lol:
Truly sorry about your limitations! Thank goodness gracious for the memories!!!!

Diver - 7-3-2005 at 03:23 PM

You're the one that likes polls......
Blended or stirred ?

Personally, I think blending a root beer float would be worse than blending the tequila floater into a rocks Marguarita. I (used to) prefer to stir my own at my own speed !

You've probably heard of the Guinness beer float ?
A few years back we brewed a porter that had a creamy fine foam you could write your name in. It was amazingly rich from the chocolate and roasted chilis we added among other things. Imagine a scoop of your favorite coffee, vanilla or chocolate ice cream floating in that mug !
Ah, the memories.......

pokey - 7-3-2005 at 04:02 PM

Pacifico with clamato juice, limes and tabasco sauce ;D

bajajudy - 7-3-2005 at 04:14 PM

Pokey
Finally finished those nasty MGD, eh?
Pacifico, nada mas fina.

PacO - 7-3-2005 at 04:30 PM

Beck's

pokey - 7-3-2005 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Finally finished those nasty MGD, eh?

Yep there done:o I've been so lazy this week that I haven't got off my a$$ to hit an ATM. Smart and Final takes Visa so I was getting beer there. Thus the MGD. After cleaning the truck I found something like a hundred pesos in change scattered on the floor, in the glove box, tucked in the seat etc etc. Grabbed my new found loot walked down the street to the nearest Pacifico store bought some ballenas and headed back home.

40 oz's to FREEDOM!! (to quote bajaddict's oh so quotable phrase):spingrin:

Eli - 7-3-2005 at 06:33 PM

Yerba buena, yerba buena, camomille, es todo, ni modo. It is tasty and soothing though, so I shant complain.

jr we have a serious disagreement here

Ken Bondy - 7-3-2005 at 07:45 PM

at my age I may be the first North American on the board to have tasted a root beer float. At the old corner drug store soda fountain where I discovered and popularized them, about 60 years ago, they would first moosh a small amount of vanilla ice cream down in the bottom of one of those long tall soda glasses. Then they would fill the glass to within a few inches of the top with root beer. Then they would plop in two scoops of vanilla ice cream, and squirt in about a half-inch of carbonated water to foam everything up. Any other method of making root beer floats is, well, making something else.

++Ken++

Diver - 7-3-2005 at 08:28 PM

Uh oh, more controversy coming !

I see that I must finally blow my cover.
I am a former employee of Mayberry's Ice Cream Parlour and have worn one of those red and white straw hats, along with the apron, white shirt and candy striped vest (we're talking mid '60's here Ken). I have served many a "kitchen sink" (16 scoops of your choice of ice cream and 10, 1 oz toppings; "If you can eat it, you can have it !"

Yes, you could say that I am/was a professional soda JERK.
As such, I can attest to Ken's method for the old fashioned float or flavored soda water.

I do, however, re-confirm my personal/professional preference for the method I stated earlier.

Feel free to u2 me for any other specific ice cream questions.

Failure to disclose

Ken Bondy - 7-3-2005 at 09:18 PM

Diver's post made me realize that, in stating my disagreement with jr about root beer floats, I failed to disclose that I too have professional experience. My opinion does not just come from speculation, I know what of I speak. Between my 2nd and 3rd year of high school (summer of 56) I worked the night shift at the Carnation Fountain Restaurant at the corner of Laurel Canyon and Victory in North Hollywood, CA. As such, I was also a professional soda jerk. As a professional I made hundreds, perhaps thousands of root beer floats. And chocolate sodas, milk shakes, malts, sundaes, banana splits, and other ice cream delicacies. Don't mess with me about products from soda fountains. I know the specs for root beer floats, dammit. I also worked the grill, anybody want to challenge me about frying protocol? Just trying to keep the contentious nature of the board going in the best way I can.

Regards to all,

++Ken++

Diver - 7-3-2005 at 09:38 PM

Ok, ok....don't get excited old man !
I know when I've been trumped; my butt was just out of diapers in '56 !
You guys probably made your own ice cream with real milk from real cows back then !

Your apparent failure to disclose, apparently also includes a younger Ken the diver photo. Or does the water make gray hair look darker ?

I'm a former PADI divemaster/instructor from Florida. I've been in your kelp beds a few times and deep snorkeled baja a few times but I mostly dove the southeast Florida coast, the north/central Florida caves and the Carribean; how about you ?

Ken Bondy - 7-3-2005 at 10:10 PM

Diver, the hair is considerably whiter now, but actually that picture was not taken that long ago. I took that picture of myself in about 60fsw in Grand Turk (on scuba) after a humpback whale trip in the Silver Banks about ten years ago. I have deteriorated considerably since then. I was born in 1940 so it's the ugly 65 now. OTOH, the big social security checks are about to start rolling in so it's not all bad. Please take a look at my photos at http://www.kenbondy.com, I think the best times in my life have been underwater.

++Ken++

PS forgot to say that I am impressed with your credentials. Would be fun to dive with you someday. I still get out on the CA boats a few times a month.

[Edited on 7-4-2005 by Ken Bondy]

Alright alright

jrbaja - 7-4-2005 at 07:25 AM

Sounds as if we have a couple "real" jerks here. And let me specify "soda"before one of the coop groupers take it personally.:lol:
Now, the real question is, where does one find a soda fountain between Rosarito and San Bartolo? We have a new 50's diner here in Rosarito but, my canned A&W and Thrifty vanilla makes a better root beer float!
It's good to see that some of us have a taste for one of the finer things in life ! I used to look forward to the trips home from Havasu because I knew I would be nursing a float from the A&W in Parker across the desert.:bounce:

bajajudy - 7-4-2005 at 08:05 AM

A&W....carhops on roller skates with root beer floats on their trays. yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummy

Packoderm - 7-4-2005 at 09:23 AM

I think the more appropriate question at this point would be, "What did you drink last night?," and I really don't feel like answering that question at this time.

vandenberg - 7-6-2005 at 03:09 PM

After the gallon of OSO NEGRO,washed down with a case of Pacifico, I can 't remember much of Monday night:P

I wont tell!

yankeeirishman - 7-6-2005 at 03:22 PM

DanO - 7-6-2005 at 03:26 PM

2004 Bodegas Lurton Torrontes.

Cool Subject

allanbartlett - 7-6-2005 at 08:16 PM

I'm dirnking an icy Corona right now with a nice slice of lime. Just like in the commercials but w/out the Conception Bay type of scenery here in Irvine,CA :)

http://juarezwonders.blogspot.com

Packoderm - 7-6-2005 at 08:17 PM

MJB decaf.

pangamadness - 7-6-2005 at 11:25 PM

Coronado Golden from the Kegarator! UM UM Good and a little Cuervo Reserva De La Familia. Give the Coronado Brew Co. a try if you like to cross the Bridge. Great food!