BajaNomad

Rosarito to Ensenada coastline diving

mikie - 7-4-2005 at 10:55 PM

Anyone here dive any spots along this stretch of coastline? How about just south of Rosarito? I seem to have seen some lush kelp beds there ... just wanted to ask before I venture out on my own in looking for alternatives to la bufadora. Thanks

Ken Bondy - 7-5-2005 at 11:42 AM

mikie
I've noticed the same thing. Some of the heavy kelp looks easily accessible from the beaches. But I have never heard of anyone diving these reefs, never seen any articles in any of the dive magazines about them. I think California Diving News (Dale Scheckler) has a connection with a dive operation at bufadora, but I've never even seen anything in CDN about any of those reefs betwen Rosarito and Ensenada. If you took the trouble to dive any of them, either from the beach, inflatable, panga etc. I bet you would find some pristine, virgin stuff.
++Ken++

The Mexican Fishermen

jrbaja - 7-5-2005 at 06:57 PM

do more diving than fishing. Usually using a standard air compressor with a hose. Many of them smoke "special herbs" to counteract the wet, oily air they are breathing.
There is a lot more money in Uni and langosta than there is in sheepshead and croaker so most of them have switched to diving.
And because most of the lobster is imported, they concentrate on the urchin market. Those Japanese still rike to put read in theil pencirs and are wirring to pay fol it.:lol:
They have camps at Popotla, Cuenca Diaz, A secret camp near Salsipuedes and Ensenada. They cover this entire coastline but are pretty much concentrating on above mentioned critters.
Used to free dive this area a lot and had the record for halibut on a spear for 4 years. My landlord finally beat me but he's a Mexican. Gringo held the record and they grew up here. :lol:OUCH!
Generally, 1/2 hour would produce a bag full of dinner, depending on whether you wanted to wait for a sheepshead or not. Probably hasn't changed much.

Ken Bondy - 7-5-2005 at 07:53 PM

good point jr. I was thinking about the lack of information from sport divers on scuba, forgot about the fact that the Mexican divers probably dive those reefs all the time with hookah gear. Principal targets would be uni (urchins) and occasionally lobster like you said, just like the commercial divers up here in the Channel Islands. What was your opinion of the reefs when you were freediving them? As a photographer I'm more interested in color and scenery than game.

++Ken++

Compared to the Sea of Cortez, Catalina

jrbaja - 7-5-2005 at 08:30 PM

and south Baja on both sides, I wasn't impressed other than for getting dinners. I hear the Coronados are still really good though. Take some beer for the soldiers and no problema!~

There are really bad currents, the water is cold, and it is going the way of the Ca. coastline unfortunately. We have noticed a big difference in 10 years.
But, the anemones, kelp, urchins and starfish do make for some fine photography as you know. And thanks for sharing your stunning stuff!

Ken Bondy - 7-6-2005 at 05:07 PM

Thanks jr. I'd still like to try those reefs someday. I've never dived the Coronados although I have dived at all eight CA Channel Islands and some of the wrecks and reefs near Point Loma. I've also done quite a bit of openwater dives off of San Diego, but that was all caged/baited blue and mako shark trips. I guess I will never see all the places on my dive wish list. Regards,

++Ken++

You have a place to stay

jrbaja - 7-6-2005 at 05:13 PM

within view if you ever get the urge Amigo. And getting out there can also easily be arranged.:light:

Ken Bondy - 7-6-2005 at 07:10 PM

Gracious offer jr. I really appreciate that. If I can put it together I would love to take you up on that. Mil gracias,

++Ken++