BajaNomad

Looking for a Fishing Resort for 4 days

monkie - 10-1-2003 at 06:53 PM

Hi, This is our first time to SJD and the area. Anyone recommend or know of places like Rancho Leonaro or El Cardnalos where we can stay, relax and fish that has local character, honesty and good prices? Thanks much Pam and Dave email: monkie1122@yahoo.com

La Playita

M_Man - 10-7-2003 at 12:10 PM

Monkie, Although it's not exactly like an East Cape style All-Inclusive Fishing Resort, La Playita is pretty close. Go to There's a link to the Hotel.

You stay at the La Playita Resort, fish with Eric Brictson'e Gordo Banks Pangas from the beach in front of the Hotel, and they have a Resturant next door.

La Playita has a few Tiendas and a couple other resturants within walking range. (Does anyone know if Dos Ricardos is still in buisness?)

Bring a 48qt Ice Chest, and keep it stocked with cervesa, bottled water, sodas and ice from the tiendas.

La Playita is a mile or so east of downtown SJD, across the Estero San Jose

Anonymous - 10-19-2003 at 10:02 PM

No question about it, the place to stay is at Punta Colorada Hotel on the east cape..: inexpensive, remote, and some of the most fabulous beach fishing you can imagine..visit their website at www.bajaresorts.com Youll like it

Don Jorge - 10-23-2003 at 12:36 PM

Toss up: Rancho Leonero or Punta Colorado. Both are isolated, all inclusive, professionally managed resorts close to potentially great fishing. Both still feel like Baja, although Punta Colorado is remaining as it was better than Leonero which is selling out to what will be.

monkie - 10-26-2003 at 04:56 AM

:spingrin:

Thanks all for your replies. However I didn't read them until we returned. We had a great time. We stayed at the Playa del sol and fishing was great! The area is beautiful and locals are friendly. Also met some very nice people. Our first day fishing we caught 12 Tuna and lost 2. The 2nd day we caught a sail fish. Being from Wisconsin we found the weather very hot. The roads and washes were a little scary. I found myself watching clouds a lot, thinking that if it rained at all we would be stuck. We will do this again and will probably check out your recommendations this time. Also interested in finding resorts or charters that are owned by locals. I sure would like to see the residents of the baja benefit from our intrusions.

Smile. Pam

Fishing with locals

Ski Baja - 10-26-2003 at 07:41 AM

If you want the true Mexican flavor, try Cabo Pulmo. Cabo Pulmo Divers are the original guys running diving and fishing trips out of that area. They are all Mexicans and they know where the fish are. There are very nice Palapas to rent at the Cabo Pulmo dive shop next door to Cabo Pulmo Divers. Excellent snorkeling and fishing.