BajaNomad

c/c San felipe.com

yankeeirishman - 7-17-2005 at 07:10 PM

MEETING AT RANCHO EL DORADO ON TOURISM DEVELOPEMENT ON MONDAY JULY 11, 2005

reported by Juan Tapia

The Club House of the Golf Course at "La Ventana del Mar", located on the sea side of Rancho El Dorado in San Felipe, was the site of the meeting called "Escenario Actual Para Las Inversiones en San Felipe? (Todays Scenario for Investments in San Felipe), with dignitaries from the Federal, State and Municipal levels of Government. Secretary of Tourism Rodolfo Elizondo and Sub-secretary Francisco Madrid from Mexico City, the Governor of Baja California, Eugenio Elorduy, and Presidente Municipal Samuel Ramos were seated on the stage with Alejandro Moreno Sec. of Tourism for the State of Baja California, Pat Butler from Rancho El Dorado; Armando Ramos from San Felipe Marina Resort, represented the local Investors and developers.

After the welcome words by State Sec. Alejandro Moreno, the first speaker was Victor Rodriguez Director of COTUCO in Mexicali who reminded us that one of the important problems for tourists wanting to visit San Felipe and other localities in Mexico is the condition of some of the roads. Several US border cities have been developing their own little Mexican Plazas, like Old Town in San Diego, to entice people leery of travelling to Mexico to spend their money in the U.S. He also indicated that in previous meetings the issue of infrastructure had been addressed and that there are studies to prove that, in the case of water, there is at present enough to satisfy three times the current demand.

His talk was followed by a series of presentations from four of the Developers:

Fernando Gonzalez said the new development ?Las Magdalenas? north of town is investing 5 million dollars in their first phase in which 228 houses will be built. The economic impact on San Felipe will include the creation of several hundred direct and indirect jobs.
Playa de Oro's Bruce Parkstrong talked about the swimming pools, housing, restaurants, and a shopping area already in operation at his development. Several million additional dollars are to be invested.
Armando Ramos, President of the Association of Tourism Developers, presented the San Felipe Marina Resort expansion plan. A $52 M dollar second phase is now beginning. Forty condominiums are now under construction and 100 houses will soon be started on the site of the former RV park. Seven additional villas are planned and preparations are underway for 100 boat slips in the adjacent marina. The third phase of development will be to construct the golf course across the highway with 3000 houses and to complete the 345 boat slips. A dry marina for storage of 1000 boats will also be built. Ultimately some 700 condominiums will be built and there will be 385 time-share units. Some 2000 direct and around 12,000 indirect jobs will be created by the completion of this $100 million program.
Jesus Olmos of Rancho El Dorado outlined the plans to add 400 houses on the Ranch and an additional 500 condominiums and 760 houses at the 220 hectare "La Ventana del Mar" site, together with a commercial center, gasoline station and a 200 room hotel. They are also beginning the Las Conchas del Mar condominium project with 150 two- and four-level condomiums and 13 additional residences and a commercial center on the bay between the harbor and Punta Estrella. There are future development plans for the 150 hectare "Long Beach" campo, the 480 hectares of Playa Blanca and 2300 hectares south of Laguna Percebu. Remodelling of the old Misiones hotel is underway and it will reopen later this year as a Cuban-themed Hotel Club La Havana. During the next three years El Dorado will invest nearly 200 million dollars. El Dorado is currently operating charter flights from the San Francisco Bay area to bring down investors and is also bringing some 150 investors weekly by bus from the Phoenix area.
Secretario Rodolfo Elizondo announced that even though the budget for the Secretary of Tourism is somewhat limited, and that there are many requests from all over the country, the federation under President Vicente Fox is very interested in the project Escalera N?utica (Nautical Ladder), thus, the coast of Baja and Sonora's Puerto Pe?asco, are priorities in the agenda of the Secretary, he added: "Other wise I would have not been here twice this year already". By the way, Puerto Pe?asco across from San Felipe has a noticeable advantage over us, thanks in part, to the four lane road from the port of entry at Lukeville on the Arizona-Sonora Border.

Gov. Eugenio Elourdy added that the road San Felipe-Puertecitos and on to Laguna Chapala which connects with the Transpeninsular road will be completely overhauled by the end of this year and that the three levels of government have agreed to build the first 30 kilometers of a four lane highway from San Felipe to Mexicali. He also had some information, advice and warnings for all, as he seemed truly concerned about some of the consequences of hasty growth. He mentioned how other tourist destinations have become so wasted from contamination of all sorts and how this must not be allowed to happen in San Felipe. He also said that parallel to the efforts for Federal support for tourism, he has been talking to the Secretario del Trabajo (Sec. of Labor) and the Social Security authorities for an extension for housing credits for the workers, and he stressed that along with the growth of the tourism trade, care should be taken so that there is decent and dignified housing for the people of San Felipe and an orderly and sustainable growth for the area. Progress in San Felipe can not be stopped he said.

WHY ??

Price - 7-17-2005 at 11:23 PM

With all the hype for SF why are there VERY few San Felipian's on this web site ?

Sure they are not Canadians?

Sharksbaja - 7-17-2005 at 11:27 PM

I hate to say this but....."There goes the neighborhood" But surely land and property values will skyrocket. Everybody will want some now. Go figure.

Oh yeah!

yankeeirishman - 7-18-2005 at 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Price
With all the hype for SF why are there VERY few San Felipian's on this web site ?

I got a home going up here. This story above, is an understatement of whats to become soon for San Felipe. We expect rapid growth of this area unrelated to the El Dorado. Yes...I expect to be living in Punta Finale by the time it's over!

bajalou - 7-19-2005 at 07:54 AM

It's pretty obvious to me Price, San Felipe must not be the REAL Baja.

:saint:

Bruce R Leech - 7-19-2005 at 08:27 AM

Ha ha ha. another authentic Mexican village.:o

I wonder what is going to happen to all those jobs when the dust clears?:?: I guess they can all go to work as slaves for the Us and Canadian retirees. :light:

actually this is a good thing like my good Friend Martha would say. all these developments to the north and southern ends of the Baja Ca. peninsula help to slow the growth in the central part which means those of us that come here for adventure can stick around a little longer.:rolleyes:

[Edited on 7-19-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

Hey Mulege townfolks

yankeeirishman - 7-21-2005 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Ha ha ha. another authentic Mexican village.:o

I wonder what is going to happen to all those jobs when the dust clears?:?: I guess they can all go to work as slaves for the Us and Canadian retirees. :light:

actually this is a good thing like my good Friend Martha would say. all these developments to the north and southern ends of the Baja Ca. peninsula help to slow the growth in the central part which means those of us that come here for adventure can stick around a little longer.:rolleyes:

[Edited on 7-19-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

You know...a lot of ya blokes? live/visit a lot in Mulege, and other central destinations. How do you get there? Private flights of small aircraft or do you drive? Seems that it be hard to get there often. All that driving.

Baja Bernie - 7-24-2005 at 02:09 PM

A silly question---How many signal lights and stop signs are there now in San Felipe??

Bruce R Leech - 7-24-2005 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by yankeeirishman

You know...a lot of ya blokes? live/visit a lot in Mulege, and other central destinations. How do you get there? Private flights of small aircraft or do you drive? Seems that it be hard to get there often. All that driving.

it isn't difficult it just takes longer than to get to S.F. you can fly or drive either one I usually drive. it takes about 28 hours from Denver to Mulege if I'm by myself longer if I have some one with me.

bajalou - 7-24-2005 at 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
A silly question---How many signal lights and stop signs are there now in San Felipe??

Not too silly at all Bernie.

When I came here about 10 years ago there were quite a few stop signs on Chememal between the circle and Mar De Cortez where ther was a signal light. The signal light then, as now, doesn't control traffic. A new mayor etc about 8 yrs ago and many of the stop signs were removed making it (for me) a easier drive down town.

In the last few months all those stop signs have been replaced with a few more added - so that now almost every block from the circle to the malecon has a stop sign.

They also added 2 new ones between the arches and the circle. One just beyond the Tecate place and one just beyond the Pemex.

Still no traffic lights that control traffic flow - but just wait

:biggrin:

Dave - 7-24-2005 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
In the last few months all those stop signs have been replaced with a few more added - so that now almost every block from the circle to the malecon has a stop sign.

Seems like a waste of stop signs. The police force isn't that large.;D

bajalou - 7-24-2005 at 03:42 PM

How large is large, Dave?

They probably have 50-75 here most of the time and when anything special going on, they bring in another 100+ from Mexicali.

I think the stop signs are more to keep traffic speed down and allow access from the side streets than to just give tickets. The two between the arches and the circle have improved the access to Chemal from the Los Arcos area and from the propane distr.

;D

Chememal ??

MrBillM - 7-24-2005 at 03:48 PM

The name of the street from the arches to the Malecon is "Calzada Chetumal".

bajaruby - 7-24-2005 at 03:54 PM

so that now almost every block from the circle to the malecon has a stop sign.

Yeah but that would most likely be what they call a California stop. Sort of like going over a topes, right????:lol:

[Edited on 7-24-2005 by bajaruby]

bajalou - 7-24-2005 at 04:00 PM

Thank you MrBillM.

They most definately frown on the Hollywood stops as we used to call them. Having paid a few tickets for doing them, I know.

Bajalou

Baja Bernie - 7-24-2005 at 07:55 PM

How would you rank SF as to uncontrolled growth in Baja and what about El Dorado's impact on the entire area. My understanding is that most 'old' timers are not to pleased with its growth. Some believe that its clout in the political arena is not a positive thing.

Is there any meaningful employment other than catering to the American and Canadian older folks and the weekend crowd of young people?

bajalou - 7-24-2005 at 08:32 PM

Here is my thoughts on this "interesting" subject.

For starters, most "old" timers NEVER are pleased at the growth and changes after they arrive in a area. Unless they are profiting from the growth.

It is a booming place. The impitus for all this started with El Dorado but has spread to the entire area. It is not something I would have asked for, but it's here. And the growth will continue. Remember, El Dorado had the use of a land area larger than the city of Los Angeles CA. Some changes have been made so it's not that large now but it still is enormous. The area west of the highway, used to be Ejido land, has at lease 12,000 lots laid out and room for more.

The Beach Club area, La Ventana del Mar - with the golf course (Which is looking pretty green right now) has lots selling for above $250,000. Believe the lowest price piece of sand in that area is now $105,000. They had the grand opening sale of the condo's a few weeks ago and sold $19,000,000 in one weekend. Building 300 condos, over half sold as of now, I'm told. Later they will have another 200 in another area to sell. These are not timeshares.

In most of the new stuff, they are putting in underground elect. and in some areas (E of hghy) city water. Building a sewage treatment plant.

With all of this - they got the State government and the fed Tourist bureau interested so have the backing of both for continued development.

Most of the campos north of town are in the process of being developed for home sales. Water and elect are available in these areas. Playa de Oro, which opened a few years ago, is almost sold out and has 2 other campos under development now.

Several developments are going in and being sold right now south of town. A Italian(or French) company is putting in a large development just N of Percebu. Another golf course is in the works we are told?? (Heard that before)

The area has long ago ran out of local construction workers and has been bring in workers from Sonora. There are several American companies that oversee construction for absentee owners. Almost every month another "Materials" yard opens with building supplies.

Is all this good for the origional people here? I don't know. I know that there is more work for locals that before - from construction to auto repair to security. (El Dorado has 48 people in it's security force. and I think they do a great job) There are stores and shops opening all the time and more to come. The cost of building materials is sky rocketing. Never cheap to begin with it about doubles in a year - rebar, cement, lumber. This certainly hurts the local mexican who wants to build his house or add to it. Groceries have to come from Mexicali and each store sends it's own truck to get them. The only things delivered to the stores are sodas, bread and similar things. Costco in Mexicali has been a help to the local store owners as they can shop there and stock their shelves with items from there.

The changes that all of this make in the area are great and will be greater. I'm kind of glad I'm not younger to watch it all. I know some of my desert exploring will end so I have do these things I like now before they're gone. But this is the way of the world. The small town I grew up in in Colo has seen much of the same growth. There is no end in sight.

I'm sure some will have different views of what's going on here and that's OK. This is just what I see.

:biggrin:

Bajalou

Baja Bernie - 7-24-2005 at 09:16 PM

Thanks so much for a well written response which answered many questions that I was interested in even without my stating them. Seems to follow the pattern of most growth in recent times with the exception of El Dorado. Seems far too large for me to comprehend. (Must be many new found wealthy politicians as a result of this)

Guess I am glad that I didn't buy about 30 years ago when I had the chance. For some reason I can not bring myself to speculate in Baja--I have no problem doing it in the States--but not in what I used to call Paradise.

bajalou - 7-24-2005 at 09:33 PM

Just a brief El Dorado history.

National Pen Co. formed a partnership with the local Ejido to develop the area. This was about 87 or 88. They sent out millions of sweepstakes winner letters giving the recepient a lot for nothing. Pay dues about $25 a year. When the people came down they found the lot was in the mountains - not accessable, but they could trade that in for credit on a lot in the development area (adjcent to Zoo Road). Of course these lots cost more - in the begining I think maybe $500-800 to upgrade. If they didn't want that, the area known as "The Highlands" about 10 miles west on Zoo Rd. was available for trade with no additional costs. Only catch, that area allowed no permenant structurs. Also you had to haul your own propane and water, etc.

The deal with the Ejido is what gave them such great acerage.

IN 93 or 94, National Pen sold it's intrest to Pat Butler, who had owned/ben involved with? Coast to Coast Campgrounds.

Pat is the one that saw the future (in his mind) and begin the big push to develop. Now they have a plane from San Francisoc each Sat returning on Sun and several busses from both San Diego and Phoenix bringing potential owners down. Often it's hard to get a room in town because El Dorado ties up the rooms for it's people.

A couple years ago, the deal with the Ejido changed and Pat bought a portion of the land outright. This is the thousands of acres that the lots are layed out in.

This being part of Mexicali, adding this area has been a giant undertaking, getting everything surveyed - getting street names - just everything

Good? Bad? It just is.

roundtuit - 7-24-2005 at 09:52 PM

Bruce, Will bring you a signal light with a left turn arrow in Oct. Just tell me what corner you want it on
:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

bajalou - 7-24-2005 at 10:12 PM

Hey thanks I'll start scouting right away!!

Baja Bernie - 7-25-2005 at 07:35 AM

I hear it also has a sign on it that states---"No Thru Traffic AND No U Turns Allowed."