BajaNomad

San Carlos and beyond! 7-8/ 7-16 trip

jrbobin - 7-19-2005 at 08:47 PM

Hello everyone! Well we're back from our trip. We didn't make it to San Carlos. We headed for Punta Baja and missed it by about a half a mile (kilometer?) I'm fairly convinced the "Baja Almanac" isn't as accurate as it should be. We must have made a wrong turn on one of the many trails that are not marked in the almanac. Oh well, no worries. We just got back on the road and headed further south...toward the east coast where it was warmer. The Pacific coast was quite cold, at least on the 8th & 9th.

We made it all the way to Loreto. The Hotel Oasis was wonderful!! If you've been there you know it. On the way We stopped at Bahia Concepcion and camped for one night. Talk about HOT!:fire: Even after I got the scorpion off my leg we couldn't sleep inside the tent and pulled the air mattress out to sleep on the beach. Hence the "Oasis". Air conditioning is so nice!

On the trip back we left the highway toward Punto Rosarito and spent a night on the beach. Very cool. A playful visit from the native porpoises made our night. The next morning we left the highway again at Laguna Chapala and headed for San Felipe by way of Gonzaga Bay. That was enough washboard for a lifetime.

We'll post some pics soon and THANKS TO EVERYONE who gave us feedback and advice before we left.

We also have the GPS waypoints saved of all the military checkpoints along the route if anyone is interested.

Fatboy - 7-19-2005 at 08:54 PM

Aren't washboards fun? They start so simple and grow like mad. Gulf side was hot, was it not!!!

Loreto and back

jrbobin - 7-19-2005 at 09:31 PM

Fatboy - I guess the one thing everyone agrees on is that washboards are the quickest way to a nervous breakdown. The best parts about the Laguna Chapala road are the sections where people have disregarded the graded road and maintained the sandy roller coaster rides alongside. You make much better time if you use those trails! Did you see the ooooold rock lined trail alongside parts of the Chapala road just off Highway 1? Can't imagine doing that, even in our Rubicon. We figure you were about 3 -4 hours behind us on the Chapala road. We didn't do CoCo's or Punta Final...we stopped for gas and a few minutes snorkeling at Gonzaga (Rancho Grande); water wasn't clear enough to enjoy; pushed on at about 12:30. We were the first people that day to sign the military checkpoint log just outside Gonzaga; we thought we'd stop around Puertocitos, but decided to keep on going to San Felipe which we made by about 6:00. Saturday morning to home was much easier in comparison. Just to L.A. area. Where did you start/finish? (I imagine you posted, but just to save the scrolling, if you don't mind.)

Fatboy - 7-19-2005 at 09:57 PM

JRBOBIN Could be...
We turned off of 1 onto Laguna Chapala rd mid afternoon and made it to El Faro around 8 pm. Heck, if you would broke down we would have met since we stop for just about anyone on the side of the road.

"even in our Rubicon"

Why do you have to tease me with that?!?!?!? :mad:

"Where did you start/finish?"
A little confused, I finished where I started of course! :yes: Redding to G.N. and back! A bit more miles in the US of A!

"Did you see the ooooold rock lined trail alongside parts of the Chapala road just off Highway 1?"

Within a mile or so of 1? If not than I missed it.