BajaNomad

Basic Blackened fish

Hook - 8-3-2005 at 09:28 AM

There is really nothing fancy about this recipe. I use bottled cajun seasoning and have tried Paul Prudhomme's (expensivo) as well as the .99 cent stuff at Big Lots. All of it works but you should experiment with different varieties as some are VERY salty.

This method is best done outside due to the large amounts of smoke generated. Non-stick pans will not work due to the high heat you need to generate. I have an iron skillet that I use only for blackening. The high heat levels will ruin the good "seasoning" of your every day iron skillet and I have developed my seasoning over many years. I jealously protect it.

Blackening works particularly well on firm fish. I particularly like it with yellowtail fillets. About 1/2 or thicker is best.

Anyway,

melted butter
cajun seasoning

Heat skillet as hot as possible, at least 7 minutes on HIGH on a Coleman stove

Dredge fillets through butter.

Coat one side with cajun seasoning and place that side face down on skillet. Sprinkle more seasoning on the exposed side through the copious amounts of smoke.

Let cook for 1-2 minutes on each side. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT COOK THE FISH TO THE POINT OF DRYNESS!.The combination of the cajun seasoning and it's salt content will be much better with moist fish. Always err on the side of undercooking with fish, especially if you are certain it has been taken care of in prep.

Serve by itself as an entree or use as fish taco filler (xlnt). Also good with an aioli sauce or a poorman's tartar sauce (dijon mustard, mayo, fresh garlic and pickle relish).

[Edited on 8-3-2005 by Hook]

That sounds like a good one, Hook-----thanks

Barry A. - 8-3-2005 at 01:57 PM