BajaNomad

"street taco" recipe?

Sallysouth - 8-12-2005 at 03:25 PM

We are looking for an original batter for fish tacos. I think Crisco could be used instead of lard but the batter part?:?: The party is tomorrow!:tumble:

[Edited on 8-12-2005 by Sallysouth]

Diver - 8-12-2005 at 03:39 PM

Try panko batter - its a light Janpanese style batter (not tempura batter).
Lightly flour the fish with white flour then dip in scrambled egg with a little milk or water, then roll in lightly salted, dry Panko batter and fry in veggie oil. Yuuuummmmmyyy !!

elizabeth - 8-12-2005 at 03:39 PM

I don't have a written recipe, but I use about a cup of beer to a cup of flour, whatever amount of salt seems right, just whip it up until it's thick and foamy...and it works pretty well...although I expect that not many street vendors use any or as much beer! You can also add a little baking powder, but I think that makes it too puffy.

Bottom line is, unless you're in Baja, no matter what you do, it won't taste exactly right!

comitan - 8-12-2005 at 03:48 PM

It won't taste right because of hoses special ingredients:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

bajajudy - 8-12-2005 at 04:34 PM

Senor A's recipe might make a lot of things happen rapidly.

Next time you are down this way, pick up a bag of the batter at the mercado. They sell it everywhere. of course I cant remember the name...that would make it too easy!
Provecho

Mike Supino - 8-12-2005 at 05:16 PM

Here's one off the net:

Prep and cook time: 25 minutes

Makes: 10 servings

1 cup dark beer 1 cup all-purpose flour About 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 pounds boned, skinned lingcod(*) Salad oil 20 warm corn tortillas About 5 cups shredded cabbage Mayonnaise thinned with a little water Tomato salsa Lime wedges

1. In a bowl, whisk beer, flour, and salt, blending well.

2. Rinse fish and pat dry. Cut into 10 equal pieces.

3. In a deep 5- to 6-quart pan, heat 1 inch salad oil to 360 [degrees]. Using a fork, coat fish pieces with beer batter and lift out, draining briefly. Slide coated fish into oil, about 5 pieces at a time. Adjust heat to maintain oil temperature. When fritters are golden, in about 2 minutes, lift out with a slotted spoon and drain briefly on paper towels; keep warm. Repeat to fry remaining fish.

Sallysouth - 8-12-2005 at 09:07 PM

Thanks Elizabeth, Judy and Mike! I'll give you a report in the Baja recipes after we cook em up! And to HoseA (aye, dogs eat dogs, don't they?):lol:

Sallysouth - 8-12-2005 at 09:10 PM

Gracias to Diver also,another try out on the menu!:spingrin:

FrankO - 8-12-2005 at 09:22 PM

This is anything but original and made from scratch but the "freshdipt" brand of cornmeal seafood batter made w/a flat beer is awesome. Better, by far, than my own. Of course there is the spoon or two of mayonaise mixed w/lots of italian dressing marinade and then throw that on the BBQ and it is GREAT.