BajaNomad

IF YOU'RE NOT STUCK YOU'RE NOT TRYING...

rob - 8-13-2005 at 10:22 AM

I was looking at TacoFeliz' picture of being stuck at Malarrimo and remembered the old Baja saying - if you ain't stuck, you're not exploring properly . .

Baja Nomads is a humbling board - people have been higher, lower, remoter, faster, caught bigger fish, told bigger lies (and more profound truths) - BUT, I bet you never been this stuck!

Come on - humiliate me all over again!

comitan - 8-13-2005 at 10:30 AM

Rob.

At least you were level enough to spend the night.

rob...

eetdrt88 - 8-13-2005 at 10:38 AM

it doesnt look like you brought enough gear:lol::lol:

jrbaja - 8-13-2005 at 10:40 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

Bob and Susan - 8-13-2005 at 10:43 AM

Yes....thats quite a set up....

You're ready fo ranything...I bet you just pulled yourself out:biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 8-13-2005 by Bob and Susan]

Wow...

Mexray - 8-13-2005 at 11:15 AM

...Like your 'rig' ! It sure looks like that was an easy 'trap' to fall into - nice dry stuff on the entry, with other tracks going across - who'd a thunk it was jello like that underneath!

How long did it take to get 'unstuck'?

bajajudy - 8-13-2005 at 02:21 PM

Yeah, what is that you are stuck in? Everything around you looks pretty solid....but or course you probably thought that looked pretty solid too!
It is for this very reason that every vehilce we own has the following equipment....one shovel, one box of empty pacifico bottles, one cooler, one can tire fix, one rope, one beer opener, 2 towels, 2 swimsuits, one tube neosporin, sun screen(you can sure get burnt shoveling)...I have gone brain dead. I am sure there is more but the shovel is essential.

Tucker - 8-13-2005 at 02:22 PM

Empty bottles??

Sharksbaja - 8-13-2005 at 02:23 PM

My favorite....so far, thanks. How DID you get out? Any help?

Sharksbaja - 8-13-2005 at 02:25 PM

Do you think "airing down " would have helped?:lol::lol::lol:

bajajudy - 8-13-2005 at 02:27 PM

Tucker how in the world could they remain full!
We do hit the deposito before we take off but eventually they become empty again.

pappy - 8-13-2005 at 02:31 PM

mexitron and i spent hours getting a guy out in a stuck very similar to yours(no trailer though).his truck got so twisted it popped the windshield out-in one piece! did you build that trailer?looks pretty well built and equiped to:yes: me...

Neal Johns - 8-13-2005 at 04:17 PM

Close, but here is my stuck. It's not really fair, because it was a friend and I was the puller outer.

This was on the West coast of Baja Norte and Bob moved over a foot so he would not have to splash though the salt water puddles. Wrong! The track was hard packed so we turned around and tried to pull him out, it did not want to climb back onto the track so it took a while (the next morning) to get him out. It rained during the night, no portapotty and I had the trots. Great trip.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 8-14-2005 by Neal Johns]

Bob and Susan - 8-13-2005 at 04:44 PM

...and there is another reason nor to buy a truck camper:biggrin::biggrin:

Bajaboy - 8-13-2005 at 04:50 PM

I remember one trip as a kid (I was very young) with my father. We attempted to cross a "dry" lake bed that looked similar to the above picture..hard packed. Well it was deep sludge beneath. I remember my dad cutting down joshua trees or something similar and burying them two or three deep for a ramp. We spent two days there. I've kept that experience close to me as I travel Baja.

Zac

rob - 8-13-2005 at 05:03 PM

This happened in the "dry" lagoon behind the fish shacks at San Evaristo. I should have known better - USE THE BEACH to get to the camp!

I had every gadget known to humankind, double ARB lockers, air jack, 2 Hilifts (which saved the day), but most importantly - the kindness and innate generosity of practically the entire village, who turned out on a hot Sunday to dig us out of that stinking, salty mud.

First, the villagers gently shouldered me to one side (on the theory I'd done enough . . ), pulled the boat trailer out backwards and then - oh the shame of it! - four little rice-burners (sorry Toyotas - I have a growing respect for them) extracted my turbocharged, lifted, zillion horsepower diesel backwards out of the ooze like a huge muddy hipopotamus.

After thanking them all with every beer I had (slide-in campers have COLD beer, Bob and Susan!), I slunk over to the camping spot and kept a low profile.

What great, generous people the villagers of San Evaristo are!

LarryB - 8-13-2005 at 07:39 PM

Is this trying hard enough?:o

surfer jim - 8-13-2005 at 07:42 PM

That's why it is good to have the camper...when you get stuck you have somewhere to stay.....

Is that a 19 or 21 foot panga?

Mexray - 8-13-2005 at 07:50 PM

TacoFeliz - 8-13-2005 at 11:03 PM

An excellent stuck! You even managed to keep the camper fairly level so you can sleep over... All part of your clever plan, I'm sure. Thank god for hi-lift jacks and cold beer :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Baja&Back - 8-20-2005 at 12:17 AM

[Edited on 8-20-2005 by Baja&Back]

wow,these newbies really have some interesting stuff to share

eetdrt88 - 8-20-2005 at 09:40 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

Debra - 8-20-2005 at 04:34 PM

Now this is what I look for on this board! Thanks Guys....

Except, can you please share just what you did to get out of this 'gunk'?

Us women traveling alone need this info.

Neal Johns - 8-20-2005 at 04:49 PM

Deb, The only solution I know for these "hard stucks" is to have other vehicles help. Carry a tow strap or two.

For less serious stuck, sand etc., carry a rug or use brush under the wheels after airing down to 15-20 pounds.

A High Lift jack and 1 foot square jack board is also nice to have.

[Edited on 8-21-2005 by Neal Johns]

Aw, come on Neal!

John M - 8-20-2005 at 05:11 PM

Debra - just don't follow "trust me" Neal Johns. That would also be of great help!

Neal Johns - 8-20-2005 at 06:17 PM

Got your hanger queen Jeep running yet, John?:no::no::no:
:tumble::tumble::tumble:

Oh Neal, you meanie!

John M - 8-20-2005 at 07:20 PM

Yes it runs, and now it stops (straight too). Actually I think we have worked out all the bugs and it's running good. :saint:

Debra - 8-20-2005 at 08:25 PM

If I go into that muck, "trust me Neal" is about the only one I would follow.......... LOL!