BajaNomad

1000 Course Rumors

TMW - 8-22-2005 at 07:10 AM

Anyone heard anything on where the 1000 race may go. I would assume it will be a loop race. Probably tag San Felipe. I don't think it will run thru Mike's in the same direction as the 500 did or Score may have a riot on their hands.

Mike Supino - 8-22-2005 at 09:06 AM

I've also heard a rumor that it may be one way to La Paz again. Something to do with TV coverage.

bajalou - 8-22-2005 at 09:14 AM

Haven't seen any Score people around here as yet - but it's still a little early. But we'll keep watching.

;)

David K - 8-22-2005 at 09:22 AM

Just north of Ensenada, along Hwy. 3, between Hwy. 1 and Guadalupe Valley were a bunch of very fresh looking SCORE arrows at a right turn off to dirt... ???

wornout - 8-22-2005 at 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A
The other rumor is that it is a loop starting and ending in Ensenada.

I have heard it alternates years one year it loops the next it goes all the way South.

tunaeater - 8-22-2005 at 03:56 PM

If it's an Ensenada start & finish there is a good chance we may enter. We felt very good after the 500. If this comes true I'll need some great support. Maybe I could get some Nomads to volunteer to hold down a couple pits for us. This would be a dream come true for us...Paul

TMW - 8-22-2005 at 05:22 PM

They went to La Paz last year and in 2007 it will be the 40th anniversary which means they will probably go to La Paz, so that's why I think it will be a loop. But if the people down south come up with the money anythings possible.

TMW - 8-22-2005 at 05:27 PM

Tunaeater you may want to consider Mag 7 or Bajapits or such outfit for pits. That is if they are not real expensive. Honda does pits for around $1200 to $1500 I think. Locos Mocos usually has a double pit like the one they did at Ojos Negros in the 500. They're free just give them your gas.

BajaBoundMoto - 8-22-2005 at 06:51 PM

Definitely NOT a La Paz race this year.
I would expect a La Paz race next year and with what TW said about the 40th anniv. that makes sense and backs up some talk I had with a fella in Sur - his saying there will be a couple years consecutive La Paz runs.

As for this year I, along with many others (and the Catavina La Pinta is booked for 17-19 with racers) would be expecting something like a Ensenada-Ensenada loop reaching as far south as the BOLA Rd.
But an unknown guy from Ensenada has implied that it will go Ens.-Ojos-Mano grade-Chohobuzo-Borrego-Felipe-Matias-Mikes-Coyote-loop-Coyote-VDT-Pacific-ST-3Herms-Ojos-Ens.
This info is NOT substantiated in any way!

surfer jim - 8-22-2005 at 07:51 PM

Race-dezert.com had someone reply with a very detailed course....especially for this early in the year....no source was given for the info....

TMW - 8-23-2005 at 08:06 AM

If it goes down Mono grade then I'm pre-running it with either BajaBoundMoto or Tunaeater or both. I haven't been down there in 15 years.

Corky1 - 8-23-2005 at 02:27 PM

Tim,
The course you were told about wouldn't be much more than some of the old 500 race courses.
If they did a loop of some kind using a part of the course twice would be near 1000??
If it only goes as far south as San Felipe why would reservations at Catavina be necessary??

"unknown guy from Ensenada has implied that it will go Ens.-Ojos-Mano grade-Chohobuzo-Borrego-Felipe-Matias-Mikes-Coyote-loop-Coyote-VDT-Pacific-ST-3Herms-Ojos-Ens."

Surfer Jim,
Do you have URL for the posting you saw on Race-dezert.com
I couldn't locate it??

TW,
Tom are you talking about the route over the summit E/B from Santa Isabel Nueva when you talk about "If it goes down Mono grade"
Its been a long time since I have been down or up that grade!!

Corky :lol: :lol:

Diver - 8-23-2005 at 03:10 PM

I just called the SCORE office.
SCORE officials will go south to define the exact course within the next few weeks. The course will start and end in Ensenada, but that's all they'll say at this time. The official map will be posted on their website as soon as they decide.

Diver - 8-23-2005 at 03:16 PM

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11000

Here is the link for the racedezert article. It is for the 2004 race.

TMW - 8-23-2005 at 03:58 PM

Corky that's the one. Down thru a big canyon. Ranch at the bottom.
Score ran the 1000 thru there in 96 or 97. I rode up it turned around and back down in 90. Really good scenery. There's an Off-Road video where this group of jeeps etc. watch the Baja 500 race then go down it, produced in the early 90's.

Corky1 - 8-23-2005 at 05:08 PM

Great Big at the Top
NO GAS
NO WATER
100 MILES!!

First time over that trail I was riding a 1972 DKW 6 spd with leading link front end.

Corky :lol: :lol:

[Edited on 8-24-2005 by Corky1]

David K - 8-23-2005 at 07:14 PM

Here's some notes on the Mano Canyon road from Hwy. 3 , near the El Alamo road. We went down it a couple years ago... (this is posted on the Trip Reports forum here on Nomad)

Guadalupe Canyon from Hwy. 3, going down the mountain in Mano Canyon! (June, 2003)

Last June, after watching the Baja 500 race with my son, http://vivabaja.com/500 we continued east to drop off the Sierra Juarez to the desert below, then turned north to camp at Guadalupe Canyon Hot Springs.

The road is shown in the AAA Baja map and Baja Almanac topo map book http://www.baja-almanac.com You may follow along with either, but the Almanac offers superior details, although not totally accurate.

My GPS waypoints are at map datum setting NAD27 Mexico (same as the Almanac).

On the AAA map, note the following ranchos: Agua Blanca (just east of Hwy. 3, opposite the road to El Alamo); Los Pinos; Cerro Prieto; El Mano; and the 'Locked Gate' (it's not).

Leaving Hwy. 3 near the El Alamo turnoff, we followed the race course (not on maps) east from Hwy. 3 to a point just north of Agua Blanca and made camp near a cross road, where the race course turned left/east. Our camp near this crossroad was at 31?42.24'/ 115?54.75' elev. 4,005'.

After the race, we followed the course from that 'left turn' and went up CANADA LAS CORDONICES 5.2 miles (map 8, R-1, Baja Almanac) to...

A junction near ARROYO EL TULE at 31?45.20'/ 115?51.52' elev. 4,663' (Almanac page 6, R-6, bottom edge) The race course turned right (south) here, we continued ahead.

The main traveled road eventually curves eastward through the forest (not shown in Almanac).

Road again turns north at 31?47.89'/ 115?49.25', elev. 5,009'. We just followed the road with visual signs having the most traffic, going the general direction we sought, and it took us the right way.

Soon the road turned to the east, and we arrived at the big RANCHO LOS PINOS (shown on AAA map, but not the Almanac) at 31?48.77'/ 115?46.26', elev. 5,086'. The peak CERRO PRIETO is just north of the ranch. Drive right through ranch property, going east.

Road curves north passing the north side of RANCHO CERRO PRIETO (31?49.23'/ 115?45.34') then turns east (not shown in Almanac continuing east).

Great view looking north along the east side of Sierra Juarez, down CANON EL PALMAR 31?49.12'/ 115?43.01'.

Road climbs a ridge and then drops into the upper end of CANON EL MANO for a long, steep down grade. Painted arrows (graffiti) on boulders from SCORE indicates this was a race course, in the past.

RANCHO EL MANO is seen down in the canyon near some palms, driveway at 31?48.56'/ 115?40.39' near canyon floor.

The road will climb out of El Mano canyon, over the north ridge. Some concrete was dumped for improved traction on a steep pitch. The 'Locked Gate' on the AAA map is a steel cable gate and was not locked or even closed.

The road descends the remaining slopes of the Sierra Juarez and is quite rough heading for the desert floor.

Once at the bottom, the road heads east to a junction with a faint road that continues south along the foot of the sierra, at 31?49.81'/ 115?33.89', elev. 1,271' Turn north, following the arroyo.

COHABUZO JUNCTION 31?55.74'/ 115?36.22', elev. 860'. This point is not named on the map, but is the name used by off road racers (Located to the east of the airplane symbol in the Almanac, and east of Cerro Cohabuzo in the AAA map). Here is a large level area where pit teams can service their racers. A poor road and race route goes east to the Laguna Salada basin, joins a good road to Ejido Saldana, and reaches Highway 5 (midway between Mexicali and San Felipe).

From Cohabuzo Junction north to Guadalupe Canyon's access is a fast graded road. Cohabuzo to Guadalupe is 29 miles.

Our Baja 500 camp (near Agua Blanca) to Cohabuzo was 36 miles, but don't be in a hurry... this is a great short cut in miles, but not in driving time! Have a great Baja adventure!

[Edited on 8-24-2005 by David K]

surfer jim - 8-23-2005 at 08:22 PM

Divers link was for some other time......

<race-dezert.com>
desert people
desert racing
scroll down until <the big one baja 1000>
page one I think.....

BajaBoundMoto - 8-23-2005 at 09:06 PM

"corky" - Yeah, it sounds like it would be a short 1000. Kinda like what, '01? when they did it similar to this. Also depends on how far out around Coyote they are able to get.
And, I never said that Ctavina rooms would be needed....I did say that Catavina was allready booked because a lot of teams, including us, will reserve rooms in areas we 'think' the race will be and we were expecting to pass Catavina in some manner. It's always best to get 'em early than get a goose egg.
Heck, I already have some reservations for the 1000 '06.

Diver - 8-23-2005 at 09:23 PM

Her's the post surfer jim was referring to;

Regarding the route of this years B1K, it will leave from Ensenada, then Ojos Negros, Then it will take a new road towards Pine Forest of Sierra de Juarez to a place called Cordillera de Molina, there it will get down of the pine forest to the Laguna Salada area, close to Mexicali, after that it will go towards south to cohabuzo junction, salda?a, chinero, borrego, and then to San Felipe, then again up north west towards San Matias, up to Mikes Sky Ranch, then to coyote ranch, down towards col. vicente guerrero close to Sto Domingo mission, after that back north towards rancho buena vista, and close to rancho Coyote again, then down by Simpson Ranch, Valle de trinidad, towards the pacific to San Vicente, Erendira, Sto. Tomas, Uruapan, then up to Ojos Negros by la Lagrima Hill, Tres Hermanos, Ojos Negros, and finally Ensenada.

surfer jim - 8-23-2005 at 10:59 PM

diver...that's it....what do you think?....fact or fiction?.....in any case...sounds like a good course.....

capt. mike - 8-24-2005 at 07:40 AM

so, no gonzaga in the offing? bummer.....that's the best place to party at night with the trophys blazing at 100 mph HIDs shining!!!

David K - 8-24-2005 at 03:26 PM

Well, it still is a possiblity Mike... If they go past Catavina then they will go to Chapala or Santa Rosalillita, turn north and return through Gonzaga.

Diver - 8-24-2005 at 04:57 PM

Sounds like a killer course and probably easier for most people to spectate than the one-way to La Paz. It will pass by a few of the same places more than once and Ojos Negros three times.
We'll have to wait for the SCORE from above for the final description !

bajalou - 9-27-2005 at 03:00 PM

From the Score Int website regarding the 2005 Baja 1000

Course maps will be available at the Off-Road Expo on Oct 7th. GPS and course notes will be available Oct 19th.

:spingrin:

Look at 2001 course

LaTijereta - 10-6-2005 at 06:23 AM

This year's course will be very simular..with a trip over the "summit":o

surfer jim - 10-6-2005 at 08:37 AM

never seen the summit but have heard so much about it....who has been there ?....photos?......

TMW - 10-6-2005 at 10:26 AM

Jim if you go down the Baja Off Roading list here to the Baja Pole Line Road Dec 27-30 05 topic by Ken Cooke, he has posted a couple of pix. Pix 4 is just below the summit top on the east side and pix 6 is about half way down or so on the east side. Ken and I both have a great pix that Bob Bower took during the 2001 Baja 1000 race looking east from the very top. I'll post it when the first chance I get.

The roughest part of the summit is coming up from the west. After passing a cattle guard about a mile and a half from the top to start the run up, there is a turn to the left at about the 1/2 mile mark with a long uphill with lots and lots of rocks of all sizes. I've raced it on a motorcycle and that was always the tough part for me. Prerunning the 01 B1K I high centered my Toyota PU but got off OK. I don't remember exactly but I think it's about 3 miles from the cattle guard over the summit and down to the wash. It's all rocky and rough and about the slowest 3 miles during the race.

TMW - 10-7-2005 at 07:14 AM

This is the top of the summit looking east. This pix was taken by Bob Bower in Nov. 2001.

Neal Johns - 10-7-2005 at 10:16 AM

Great picture, TW and Bob.
I have only been at the bottom looking up.

surfer jim - 10-8-2005 at 07:34 AM

gotta see that myself some day.....beautiful.....

off to the EXPO in a while.....to see what I can't afford....

[Edited on 10-8-2005 by surfer jim]