BajaNomad

Dolphin magic at K58

Gypsy Jan - 8-24-2005 at 07:40 PM

A few days ago, we were sitting on the balcony of La Fonda del Rio (not the other La Fonda) and suddenly, hundreds of dolphins were churning the water, leaping and diving (sometimes as many as six in unison) less than 200 feet offshore of the shallow sandy beach.

What a magical experience! I knew that dolphin pods combine into herds when fishing, but I have never seen it before. The show continued for thirty or more minutes.

Right now, in Baja norte, the mornings are somewhat misty, but the afternoons are clear and warm and the evening light and sunsets are fantastical.

soulpatch - 8-24-2005 at 08:04 PM

I had that same experience surfing Countly Line about 10 years ago..... nothing equates. It was 6-8-10 for hours and reeling and the dolphins were herding bait up an down the beach for hours. People were stopping on the highway and just watching. There were some German tourists on rented Harleys that were blown away as I talked to them later while have a few beers and clam chowder at the 'Net. You could stick your head underwater and hear them clicking and calling out.... the best part was taking off on overhead waves eye to eye with another intelligent life form and making that contact from less than a foot or two away. I seriously hope to capture that experience again before I die but if I don't I've had it once.

Since the red tide is gone

jrbaja - 8-24-2005 at 08:27 PM

the dolphin show is an all day/every day occurence here.:bounce::bounce: Has been for ten years and I'm pretty sure it started before that!:light:

Dolphin

jrbaja - 8-25-2005 at 10:21 AM

A Most Exciting and Rewarding Venture!

Skeet/Loreto - 8-25-2005 at 03:19 PM

Owning and operating my own Panga , The Patricia" out of Loreto, Baja Sur, the most rewarding experience was the many times I would come onto a "Herd" of dolphin. they would Swim to meet me , one on each side and one in the Lead, they would jump and twirl, Splash and make the Calls.

When they decided to leave, they would jump their Highest Jump and land very near the panga and Splash us All.

What a Grand Sport they had!! Everytime I would meet a Herd I had good fishing for the Day !!

A very rewarding time of my Life.

Skeet/Loreto

This one sees his/her reflection in my dome port

Ken Bondy - 8-25-2005 at 03:55 PM

porpoises off the starboard bow

Skipjack Joe - 8-25-2005 at 04:31 PM

Port, Startboard - I don't know the difference.

JZ - 8-25-2005 at 04:32 PM

In the boat on the SOC we've been in pod's of a thousand many times. They race with the bow of the boat. Funny how it can be same basic area a lot of times.

The best we saw was leaving Loreto about 6AM heading up to Mulege. In the wake of the boat about 1000' off, a single dolphin jumped 15-20' straight out of the water (like Sea World!).

[Edited on 8-25-2005 by JZ]

JZ - 8-25-2005 at 04:34 PM

Starboard!

Port! Starboard! Abeam!

Pompano - 8-25-2005 at 04:49 PM

nautical terms

Skipjack Joe - 8-25-2005 at 06:50 PM

Love those nautical terms. Jib, forecastle, mizzen mast. I've read them all.

Then there's everyone's favorite: poop deck.

What the hell is a poop deck?

Eli - 8-25-2005 at 07:15 PM

Thanks Jan and everyone for bringing me back to what I love most, the dolfins.

I think maybe we have a lot we could learn from these creatures who beat out many a human on humanity issues.

I too have a memory of sitting alone on the beach at the edge of a tiny arroyo, it felt like sitting in a private box seat in a opera house. My perifrial view was minumal, all I could see from North to South was a sea stage with dolfins dancing a ballet from one end of my vista to the other. I sat watching in awe that I was permitted such a special moment, it was one of the most exiciting events of my lile!

98evo - 8-25-2005 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
the dolphin show is an all day/every day occurence here.:bounce::bounce: Has been for ten years and I'm pretty sure it started before that!:light:

jr, where is here???

Mike Supino - 8-25-2005 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Love those nautical terms. Jib, forecastle, mizzen mast. I've read them all.

Then there's everyone's favorite: poop deck.

What the hell is a poop deck?

Yeah, but what the heck is a "boom stop"?

Only sailor's may get that one.

Bedman - 8-25-2005 at 07:56 PM

In naval architecture, a poop deck is a deck that constitutes the roof of a poop cabin built in the aft (rear) part of the superstructure of a ship. The name originates from the Latin puppis, or the elevated stern deck. In sailing ships, with the steerage at the stern, an elevated position was ideal for both navigation and observation of the crew.

An urban legend suggests that the name comes from the practice of sailors going to the poop deck to poop. This is not correct, since facilities for this purpose were located at the bow of the ship (or the HEAD). Only the captain had his private toilet near his quarters, below the poop deck.

comitan - 8-25-2005 at 07:58 PM

Mike

A boom stop is called a Vang:lol::lol::lol:

If it helps it really the boom vang.

[Edited on 8-26-2005 by comitan]

Mike Supino - 8-25-2005 at 08:18 PM

Helm's a lee

And "helm's a lee", that be a nautical phrase ? it's what ye yells out when the captain changes the heading and the boom swings fast and hard across the deck. Them that as don't duck, well, let's just say that their lives are invariably changed?

:wow::wow::wow::lol::lol::lol::lol::wow::wow::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here right now is Playas de Rosarito

jrbaja - 8-25-2005 at 08:29 PM

And avast ye lubbers, whats the matter with them baggywrinkles floppin.:lol:

An easy way to discern port from starboard is, "port is left, they both have 4 letters. You're welcome.

Nautical Quiz

Roberto - 8-25-2005 at 09:01 PM

Correct - port is left, starboard is right - maybe. Just what IS the difference between using left/right vs port/starboard?

Hook, Don Jorge, you keep out of this! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Avast all ye sailors

Gypsy Jan - 8-25-2005 at 09:11 PM

Keep it up.

Please continue to post.

Bedman-----that is great-----

Barry A. - 8-25-2005 at 09:40 PM

and we all learned something, I bet. I sure did, even tho I was once a matey on the blooming high seas of San Diego bay------in a "Lightning" (I think it was called).

Thank you.

Another Rewarding Moment

Skeet/Loreto - 8-26-2005 at 04:42 AM

Many years ago While fishing in San Girogiro{South of jacinco on the pacific} I was able to bring two medium size dolphins to my hand and fed them with Bait. I was staning in Waist High Water at the mouth of the Estary. Was able to do that several,days in a Row.
I thought at the time they must have escaped from Sea World, they were so Friendly.

Skeet/Loreto

vandenberg - 8-26-2005 at 07:21 AM

SURFING

With bigger boats, that put out a good wake, it's a lot of fun to watch the dolfins surf in it for miles. Have seen that numerous times here in Loreto.

PacO - 8-26-2005 at 08:03 AM

Port and Starboard are steering and approach terms, aren't they?

Boom Stop

Mike Supino - 8-26-2005 at 09:20 AM

Come on.
Did anyone get the humor in the term? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Roberto - 8-26-2005 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Port and starboard do not change when looking forward or aft on a vessel.

Correct!

Ifn yer intrested in Poops

jrbaja - 8-26-2005 at 11:22 AM

and decks and such
the rest o them rowboats
really ain't much

for heres an example
of quite the spread
plenty o room
for an ocean going head

Damn, these photos were saved

jrbaja - 8-26-2005 at 11:24 AM

in an older version of TIFF. Maybe I can get one to work.

Mike Supino - 8-26-2005 at 12:58 PM

?Port Out, Starboard Home,?

backninedan - 8-26-2005 at 01:01 PM

Your right mike, it was used on steam ship tickets for the very wealthy. I think it had to do with the sun exposure for your suite.

Mike Supino - 8-26-2005 at 01:03 PM

?Port Out, Starboard Home,? the cooler, and thus more expensive, side of ships traveling between England and India in the mid-19th century. The acronym POSH was supposedly stamped on the tickets of first-class passengers traveling on that side of ships owned by the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company

Sorry, no first class ones

jrbaja - 8-26-2005 at 02:31 PM

cascabel 6 - 8-26-2005 at 03:38 PM

Mike knows his stuff. Dead on.

Anyone got a mirror handy?

Skipjack Joe - 8-26-2005 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Sorry, no first class ones

Those third class passengers really had it rough. It helps if you're dyslexic.

[Edited on 8-26-2005 by Skipjack Joe]

Bedman - 8-28-2005 at 12:58 AM

The origin of term comes from old boating practices. Before boats had rudders on their centerline, boats were steered by use of a specialized oar. This oar was held by a sailor located towards the stern (back) of the boat. However, like most of the rest of society, there were many more right-handed sailors than left-handed sailors. This meant that the right-handed sailors holding the steering oar (which had been broadened to provide better control) used to stand on the right side of the boat. The word starboard is a corruption of steering board.

Port, is derived from the practice of sailors mooring on the left side (the Portboard side) as to prevent the steering boards from being crushed.

Because the words portboard and starboard sounded too similar to be distingued under windy sailing conditions, portboard was shortened to port.

More fun with the dolfino.....

Pompano - 8-28-2005 at 05:36 AM

This is a fun Conception bayride with these acrobats....we see more and more every year for the last 35 years. Thank Neptune there's no Japanese cookbooks for porpoise....yet.