BajaNomad

OK, what about the eateries at Popotla?

Hook - 9-1-2005 at 11:29 AM

Has anyone got any opinions on which is the best seafood place of all the ones down at Popotla? You know, the bazaar area next to Foxploration......

I can't wait to hear

jrbaja - 9-1-2005 at 11:41 AM

the tourists and gypsy gourmets ideas on this one!:lol::lol::lol: There are flies:o

We like the two at the end of the branch to the right because of the views. We've eaten at most all of them and they are all about the same.
One of our neighbors just brought us tamales from there that were fantastic. Don't know which one it was but she said they had a bucket full of tamales in front of the restaurant.

I like the stuffed clams and Carol likes the shrimp c-cktails. They have always been good at all the restaurants there.

Bahia Popotla

jrbaja - 9-1-2005 at 12:02 PM

South of Rosarito

jrbaja - 9-1-2005 at 12:15 PM

Next to Foxploration/Fox Studios.
Don't go on weekends although it won't be a bunch of "Frat Kids" crowding up the place, pure mexicano!:lol::lol::lol:

Frank - 9-1-2005 at 01:06 PM

Shhhhhh everyones going to know about it.

Don't worry Frank

jrbaja - 9-1-2005 at 01:23 PM

The majority of people on here will take one look at the flies, drunks, mud and unsanitary conditions and make a u turn!

Frank - 9-1-2005 at 02:02 PM

Thats good, because Rosarito sure is growing fast {good or bad} and it would be a shame to lose Popotla.
Our pangero, Tacho, is a great old salt. While we are fishing, we would also get, a histroy lesson, up to date baja news, and family info. He can find fishing spots by dead reckoning, temp breaks by a foot/hand in the water, and read the swell like a fish. Man I miss fishing with that guy, maybe next weekend.

BajaGuera - 9-1-2005 at 03:33 PM

Jr - great picture - but it looks a bit more like Bahia Papalote. In fact I believe I see Senor Tosano's green office near the middle there. Makes that photo a little further south than Popotla. Or am I mistaken?

Phil C - 9-1-2005 at 04:27 PM

Most all these restaurants are the same. We had a favorite for awhile, but they come and go. Try the steamed fish,(help me out JR)" serandeado"? Also you can meet the boats at about 10 am and buy fish. Great place to get ling cod or rock fish. About 25 pesos per kilo on the hoof.

Serandeado

jrbaja - 9-1-2005 at 06:03 PM

with onions, peppers, tomatoes, garlic , etc, cooked on top. YUM !!!!

Guera, good to see you here. That bay is between Popotla, (the fishing village) and Popotla, (the trailer park). We've always called that whole area Popotla. Don't think I've ever looked to see if it's called anything else.

Lot's of fun stories about there though !!:lol::lol::lol:

comitan - 9-1-2005 at 06:19 PM

Hey that fish is just like what we call Pescado Vera Cruzano.

Although I'm not sure

jrbaja - 9-1-2005 at 06:23 PM

I think the serandeado part has something to do with being cooked over coals. But yep, pretty much the same ingredients.:bounce:

And on that note, Las Ma?anitas still has good serandeado, which they specialize in.

[Edited on 9/2/2005 by jrbaja]

BajaNomad - 9-1-2005 at 07:25 PM

Used to have lots of fresh sea urchin available. I assume that's still the case?

Last I heard, yep!

jrbaja - 9-1-2005 at 08:06 PM

Nuttin quite like getting to know the fishermen/divers enough so they break out this jar of Uni to share:o:lol::lol::lol:

Gypsy Jan - 9-1-2005 at 10:48 PM

Dearest JR,

I don't coop group, nor do I advance an opinion except what comes from my own honest experience. I am not beholden to any one.

I've never been to Popotla, because, when we asked about it , a highly placed official in the government of Rosarito referred to it as "Popoopla" and said that you could easily get Hepatitis from the unclean water and fish.

I have never posted about this before, because, it was "as said to" info and I have no knowledge of the truth of the matter.

The squarecircle - 9-2-2005 at 12:35 AM

Greetings Pompano and All; >>>> Next time you are crossing the line at Tecate, stop and enjoy a good meal at Restaurant MUSTAFA on the N. side of the carretera. Ali is the head knocker there, say hi from Roy & Richard. Good food and a clean place. Try it, you will like it. >>>>Best Regards, sq. >>>>Carr. Tecate-Ensenada km. 93 / San Antonio de las Minas >>>>.

BornFisher - 9-2-2005 at 08:25 AM

Baja Guera is right-- wrong cove.
Been awhile since I ate in Popotla, but across the street, there is a tienda with a three stool counter that serves some fast, cheap and good food. Chicken in sauce with potatoes and beans-- $3!!

Now I'm interested

jrbaja - 9-2-2005 at 08:45 AM

Gypsy, I wish that your high placed influential friend would spread the word. We don't like the crowds.:light: And he's right, you would probably get deathly ill just by driving through.
As far as the cove goes, that picture is taken from one of the restaurants at the fishing village and to the south is the trailer park. Is that cove named Papalote?

Anonymous - 9-2-2005 at 02:22 PM

I have eaten is a small place that some locals took me to and I have actuall gone back. They make this clams on the grill stuffed with cheese and other things that are just AMAZING. It has a balcony overlooking some rocks and is small.

It was amazing that I found it a second time on my own so I am sorry that I cannot help more.

johnEvegas

larry - 9-2-2005 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
I think the serandeado part has something to do with being cooked over coals. But yep, pretty much the same ingredients.:bounce:

And on that note, Las Ma?anitas still has good serandeado, which they specialize in.

[Edited on 9/2/2005 by jrbaja]

Pescado sarandeado is a local dish from Nayarit. In Nayarit it is simply meaty white fish cooked on a wood fire with a tomato/chile thick baste. I have ordered it at restaurants in the US once or twice and it bore no resemblance to the original---more like Vera Cruz style.

In that case

jrbaja - 9-2-2005 at 05:44 PM

for Serandeado, Las Ma?anitas is still the place. Sounds like theirs and would explain the presence of some very well to do Mexicans ordering just that!

foghornleghorn - 9-2-2005 at 06:29 PM

Three stools, one coop, and pollo con papas. Where can I get me some of that?