BajaNomad

Great Baja Weekend! El Rosario, to Mike's Sky Rancho from newly paved Observatory road, & Shell Island!

David K - 9-5-2005 at 03:43 PM

Wow, what a great trip gang! Baja Angel's birthday was last Friday and what better way to have fun than go to Baja!

Friday we left late in the morning and headed south for Mexico! Our Tourist Cards (FM-Ts) had expired so we first pulled into the Declare lane/ secondary parking area in Tijuana to get new ones... The fee is $20 US still... paid at the bank teller window a few doors to the left of the INM (Migra) office. Everything went easily... no mention or signs indicating a passport would ever be required... we both had our birth certificates and picture ID (driver's license).

Lunch was at Chela's in Puerto Nuevo (big lobster)...

Arrived at Baja Cactus before sundown and surprised Antonio who arrived just before us... We had dinner with Antonio later at Mama Espinoza's.

Saturday morning we decided to go to Shell Island (south of San Felipe), but instead of going south than north at Chapala we went a new way (for Baja Angel)... Use the observatory road to go to Mike's Sky Rancho then continue north to Hwy. 3 and on to San Felipe.

On the way, we went to Laura's Wet Buzzard (Gypsy's at Cielito Lindo) for her famous breakfast burritos!

The Observatory road is PAVED! Well, paved at least halfway up, past the junction to El Coyote and Mike's (near Meling Ranch), where we left the new pavement and turned north.

I took very detailed notes (well, Angel did I should say) of the entire route to Mike's from Hwy. 1 and on to Hwy. 3: Milages, GPS, travel time... and will post all with lots of photos in the BAJA NOMAD TRIP REPORTS FORUM.

A big fire had recently burned the mountains between El Coyote and Mike's... pretty scary stuff! The road is quite rough and with rain damage from last winter, I suggest 4WD short wheelbase only on the road to Mike's from the south.

Shell Island was great... We left about 2 pm Sunday and got back to Oceanside around 8 pm. Mexicali west border Sunday afternoon was 34 minutes and the temperature was 112 degrees the entire time!

Anyway, I wanted to give you guys a quick summary and then I will write up a detailed report on the Trip Reports page soon...

David K - 9-5-2005 at 03:46 PM

Sunday morning, on Shell Island...

WOW

Sonora Wind - 9-5-2005 at 04:00 PM

Some guys have all the fun. Thanks DK enjoyed the info and the pics

My wife said ifin I went to Baja one more time this year, she was gona de vorce me. :( I'm gona miss her.:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks DK

Al G - 9-5-2005 at 05:04 PM

You keep the glory of Baja alive and well for us here.
Albert

David K - 9-5-2005 at 05:51 PM

De nada amigos... until I write that detailed trip report... here's another photo showing the fire burned hills between El Coyote and Mike's Sky Rancho...

David K - 9-5-2005 at 05:52 PM

Here's the road dropping down to Mike's...

Bob H - 9-6-2005 at 03:25 PM

I'm sure you two had a great time. And, I hope that Elizabeth enjoyed her birthday weekend in Baja!

How would my camper do on that road to Mikes? It doesn't look very wide in that last photo.

Bob H

David K - 9-6-2005 at 07:06 PM

NO Camper... long w/b rigs should attempt the south road to Mike's... The north road is a piece of cake for your rig, however.

As soon as I finish reading the board right now, I will post the detailed report on the Nomad Trip Reports Forum!

On Topic

BajaRob - 9-6-2005 at 08:41 PM

Thanks David for the info and pictures. This site needs more Baja info and pics and less better than thou, look at me, personal attacks. Small pea brains living a miserable existance trying to berate others to feel better. What ever happened to live and let live? And before some smuck accuses me of God Forbid being a tourist AKA Nomad, I have been coming to Baja since 1975, operated a business in La Paz for 3 years and been a resident of BCN for several years.
Do you know when the fire occured on the road into Mikes?
We took 28 of our friends to Mike's in late April and it was all green then.
More info and pics and less chickensh-t crap. Rob

Cyndarouh - 9-6-2005 at 09:05 PM

Amen Baja Rob!

Bajagato - 9-6-2005 at 09:07 PM

We saw the same sunrise, but from KM32!

Sunrise

BajaRob - 9-6-2005 at 09:20 PM

Spectacular, thanks for sharing. Did you have Nuevo Mazatlan to yourself? Rob

[Edited on 9-7-2005 by BajaRob]

David K - 9-6-2005 at 09:33 PM

Nice photo Gato... The trees at Nuevo Mazatlan make summer camping quite nice... No shade on Shell Island, unless you make it with a tarp!

David K - 9-6-2005 at 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
Thanks David for the info and pictures. This site needs more Baja info and pics and less better than thou, look at me, personal attacks. Small pea brains living a miserable existance trying to berate others to feel better. What ever happened to live and let live? And before some smuck accuses me of God Forbid being a tourist AKA Nomad, I have been coming to Baja since 1975, operated a business in La Paz for 3 years and been a resident of BCN for several years.
Do you know when the fire occured on the road into Mikes?
We took 28 of our friends to Mike's in late April and it was all green then.
More info and pics and less chickensh-t crap. Rob

The fellow making our margaritas at Mike's seemed not real sure, but a couple weeks ago was his best guess. The burned area was south of Mike's, so you wouldn't have seen it.

By the way... go to the Trip Reports forum for all the photos and road details... I am nearly finished with the report...

[Edited on 9-7-2005 by David K]

Mike's

BajaRob - 9-6-2005 at 09:43 PM

Thanks David, it's late and I missed that you came from the south. As you surmised, we came from the north after a visit with our friends in San Matias. Rob

Bajagato - 9-7-2005 at 09:17 AM

We were at Chris's Dad's house not the campground. My in-laws told me that the military has actually been staying at the campgrounds, but were not there this last weekend. There were some families camping there though. And the Coco Loco truck came by the beach with refreshments Sunday, that was nice! It was pretty steamy down there all weekend!

David K - 9-7-2005 at 07:00 PM

Yah, you gotta love Baja with its 4WD beach bars!