BajaNomad

Baja Weekend Part 5 (Final)

David K - 11-15-2002 at 05:35 PM

LATE SUNDAY AFTERNOON: I have a simple camp set up and it only takes minutes. So, I wasn't concerned at it being almost sundown when I found a spot next to the San Juan de Dios riverbed, near Jack Sword's adobe ruins.

I have a big plastic storage box with my 'kitchen equipment' and dry food in. An ice chest. A tote bag with a tarp, air mattress, electric pump, etc. All in the back of my truck.

Along the way, driving in, I picked up lots of firewood (without being stung by a scorpion). As it was a beautiful, clear day, I thought a campfire would be nice.

My propane lantern would be put to use in the moonless night and it needed the mantles replaced. No surprise after the roads I was driving on today! The nut which holds the lid of the lantern on was so tight, I couldn't lossen with just my fingers. I had an adjustable wrench, screwdriver, but no plyers! As it was getting ever so dark, I struggled on how to get the nut loose. I had plenty of battery powered lighting, mind you. But, it was the point that mattered: this lantern was to be used on this night in Baja, and that was final! I was about ready to break the glass when the nut broke loose... hurray!

I mad my bed in the truck's bed rather than put up my tent. The stars would be beautiful, and it wasn't a bit cold.

The fire was started, the lantern lit, my camp chair set, and a fun book to read ('Mi Baja No Hurry No Worry' by Bernie Swaim). I wasn't very hungry after eating two sanwitches at 2 o'clock.

The desert was so quiet... not a sound. Some would be scared. I was at peace. The book was almost finished when I decided to cook some stew so I wouldn't wake up hungry in the middle of the night.

The hot beef stew, fruit salad, and cold milk made a great dinner. I finished the book and just enjoyed the fire and starry sky before getting in my sleeping bag.

I don't know what time it was but the temperture sure dropped and the dew soaked the outside of my sleeping bag. If I knew that would happen, I would have put the tarp over the truck bed or used the tent. It started out such a pretty night, but I was not happy now!

Before sunrise, I was loaded up and on my way home... heater on full! The time was 6 am when I left San Juan de Dios. I stopped at Sauzalito and picked up some copper ore and looked around a bit. Highway 1 was reached at 7:40.
Fill up at El Rosario, and pulled off at the Observatory road to make an early lunch. Talked to a couple guys who camped up at Rancho El Coyote after getting through from Mike's Sky Rancho. The new pavement off Highway 1 ends in a few miles at San Telmo (de Arriba), they told me.

At the military check south of Maneadero, I was asked for a soda (no problema) by the trooper. He spoke English and told me he worked in Idaho and Wyoming on patato farms. I asked him if his comandante would like a soda too. He waved his hand low in a negative fashion.

I reached the border of San Ysidro at 1:00pm, Monday and was at the gate in 19 minutes. I was asked my citizenship and what was from Mexico in my truck, then waved in. Fast and easy!

I am so glad I went south and was able to find what I did. I am assured an interesting adventure anytime I venture into Mexico's Magic Peninsula: Baja California!

[Edited on 16-11-2002 by David K]

Neal Johns - 11-15-2002 at 05:48 PM

Great story, David!

I just wish you could have been on my trip so you could see how happy Mindy and I were! Hee Hee Hee

Yeah....

jeans - 11-15-2002 at 07:41 PM

No P-nche canned stew for us, huh?

Baja Tales...and other lies...

Mexray - 11-16-2002 at 01:03 AM

Great story...and David's wasn't too bad either! :D