Sharksbaja - 9-11-2005 at 08:52 PM

Least favorite: Catavina, because it's always closed. :fire:
Favorite: Catavina, when it is open and topped off..:lol:

Oso - 9-11-2005 at 09:03 PM

No contest.
Least: Sta. Rosalia- most crooked.
Most: El Rosario- most honest.

Diver - 9-11-2005 at 09:09 PM

I remember the days when you would say worse about the El Rosario station. Thank goodness for Baja Cactus !

Sharksbaja - 9-11-2005 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
No contest.
Least: Sta. Rosalia- most crooked.
Most: El Rosario- most honest.

They sure shower you w/attention and smile plenty while ripping u off!

Anonymous - 9-11-2005 at 09:25 PM

All the Pemex stations I've filled up at in Ensenada have been fine. The only problem I've had are the workers at the Sauzal station have give me a lower exchange rate than what was advertised. Good way to lose business.:rolleyes:

Acuity - 9-12-2005 at 07:45 AM

Sta. Rosalia takes the prize for the most blatent rip-offs. We make sure we don't have to fill up there anymore.

bajajudy - 9-12-2005 at 08:50 AM

We have never stopped in Santa Rosalia because of all the bad press. The Pemex at Arumbura Plaza in San Jose ripped me off ONCE. I always watch to see if the pump is cero now at all the stations.

The best I have found is between San Jose and San Lucas at Cerro Colorado. There was a nomad who went around checking the pour, so to speak, and he found that this one's pumps were accurate. The people working there are very nice as well.

rpleger - 9-12-2005 at 12:47 PM

Best = Gurrero Negro (New one on the interstate)
El Rosario

Worst = Santa Rosalia

Ken Bondy - 9-12-2005 at 05:58 PM

About a year ago I stopped at the first Pemex I came to in Mexicali after crossing the border, right side, southbound. I filled up the Hummer with diesel, saw the total charge, and inadvertantly counted out one more hundred-peso note than was required. The attendant gave it back to me with a lecture on paying more careful attention to money matters in Mexico. On that basis, I would have to count that Pemex in Mexicali as one of the best.
++Ken++

Tucker - 9-12-2005 at 06:01 PM

When's the last time anyone stopped at the pemex in Santa Rosalia?

gas

fishinrich - 9-12-2005 at 06:59 PM

Yes el rosario is bad, but nothing compaired to the blatent rip off of customers in los barriles. That little pemex owned by the van wormers is there real cash cow, to heck with the hotels.

rts551 - 9-12-2005 at 08:03 PM

Santa rosalia!!! usually fill up in San Ignasio coming from Punta Abreojos to Rosalia for paper work. July- everyone empty. Had to stop at the rosalia Pemex and how ever careful I was still got ripped off for 100 pesos.

bajaden - 9-13-2005 at 12:03 AM

I must admit, I had to gas up in Santa Rosalia last week. I should have just dropped my pants and bent over. Please don't visualize.

ooops

fishinrich - 9-13-2005 at 05:25 AM

Sorry, in my post I mentioned el rosario as being bad, that is false. I should have said santa rosalia. Antonios pemex is very honest and they always want to wash my windows.

Bob and Susan - 9-13-2005 at 05:53 AM

..but the restroom....one of the worst...sorry Antonio I know you don't use it...

turtleandtoad - 9-13-2005 at 06:06 AM

I have to go with San Ignacio for the best. The guys there waited until I got out of my coach before even taking the gas cap off. Then they broke out a couple of long handled squeege's and attacked the windshield (on a coach like mine, normally the only time my windshield gets washed is when I do it, with a ladder).

When the fueling was over, they wiped off the area below the fill tube (even though they didn't spill any) and asked if I wanted the rest of the windows cleaned.

When I counted out the pesos, they counted them back to me again, just to make sure.

I can gauge within a couple of liters how much gas I need and they were within my estimate so I don't think the pump was rigged.

I was so impressed that I tipped them 50 pesos.

David K - 9-13-2005 at 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
..but the restroom....one of the worst...sorry Antonio I know you don't use it...

Must have been after a bus stop there?! Actually, new, larger bathrooms are already planned for the gas station. When Antonio saw a line for the women's, he went over and invited them to use the bathrooms at the motel... what a guy!

Oso - 9-13-2005 at 08:04 AM

T & t: San Ignacio? Something must have changed. Are you sure you got the liters you paid for? Last B1K I also found them polite and helpful, but later I had to get a broken motor mount fixed and the mechanic complained of getting a short count there. Said Villa Jesus Maria was also crooked. Probably neither are AS crooked as Sta. Rosalia. I wonder if she was the patron saint of thieves?

Bob and Susan - 9-13-2005 at 08:07 AM

...no david...

urinal has been taped up for SEVERAL months....no repairs...

it's just that the managers don't go in and LOOK!!!

It's the same here in businesses

Salsa - 9-13-2005 at 09:00 AM

I have driven 3 times to Los Barriles in the last 3 years and each time I got 18-19 MPG in my Astro. (One time with a 14' boat on top and a Quad inside.)

That is US miles and mexican gallons.

I could not have been cheated very much.

Don

turtleandtoad - 9-13-2005 at 10:57 AM

Oso,
Yeah, I checked my own website to confirm it. I was there on 3/7/05 and I'm pretty sure that the pumps were fairly accurate. They could have been off by as much as a liter, but no more than that. I also gassed my toad up at the same station a couple of days later (when I went back to check out the village) and again it looked like the liter count was right.

There was a lot of work going on at the station, painting, repairing, fixing the toilets, landscaping, etc when I was there so maybe it changed hands.

When were you there last?

I also was warned about Villa Jesus Maria so I didn't even think about stopping there.

Camalu Pemex

John M - 9-13-2005 at 12:24 PM

About half way through town, on the west side of highway one....very clean, sure seems to be honest. Only downside is that if you fill up there, by the time you get to El Roasrio you'd want to top off and need but a couple of gallons, but you don't dare pass up El Rosario with uncertainties at Catavina.

capn.sharky - 9-13-2005 at 03:38 PM

Insurgentes is pretty good. Santa Rosalia sucks. I don't even like the town.
But remember this---the very worse gas station in Mexico right now is a hell of a lot better than any gas station in California. They are all ripping us off.

Sharksbaja - 9-13-2005 at 03:41 PM

You hit the nail on the head Capn'! In both cases!

Thanks...

BajaCactus - 9-13-2005 at 04:16 PM

Thank you all for your nice comments about our BajaCactus Gas Station in El Rosario...I will pass along your feelings to my staff.

Bob and Susan... you are absolutely right about our restrooms...I agree.

No repairs can be done to them without tearing down part of the walls due to some faulty piping installations several years ago...and we need Pemex approval to work inside the gas station premises, and those permits take months.

However, our restrooms are not what I wished for, so about 10 months ago instead of filling permits for a repair, I enter blueprints for some new, improved, bigger and nicer restrooms... we are still waiting for Pemex approval (you know bureacrats).

As soon as they are approved we are beginning construction of the new restrooms... I cannot wait for them to be finish... We made a very nice design...

In the meantime guys... sorry... there is nothing I can do about them... however, if any of you girls need to use a restroom when passing thru El Rosario, feel free to use our guest restroom at the lobby motel.

Antonio M.

:D

Eli - 9-13-2005 at 05:33 PM

Hands down the worst to me would for sure be Los Barriles.

comitan - 9-13-2005 at 05:42 PM

For me the worst St Rosalia getting taken when I thought I couldn't.

Best the Pemex going into Manenedro with the am/pm there 4 in the Morning the attendent sleeping on sidewalk in front but open hot coffee and fresh roll very special!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob and Susan - 9-13-2005 at 05:53 PM

Antonio...your place is well run and your employees VERY professional...

Since we travel the road often we will take you up on the offer of the hotel restrooms....if needed.

Thanks and keep up the good work for your community:D:D

Oso - 9-13-2005 at 06:06 PM

Antonio, can us guys just walk around back of the station?:lol:

This reminds me of THE classic bi-lingual Chicano joke:

I don't know how many here are old enough to remember El Chamizal, but this was a piece of land on the border that reverted to Mexico when the Rio Bravo (Rio Grande to gringos) changed course. This was during the term of Lyndon Baines Johnson and, I believe, Gustavo Diaz Ordaz.

There was a ceremony, sometime in mid-winter, to celebrate the handover, with mariachis, libations and long-winded speeches in Spanish and English. After awhile, LBJ felt the call and whispered to Sen. Montoya of New Mexico, "Senator, where can a man take a leak around here?" Montoya looked around and said, "Well, Mr. President, there's a big chamiza (creosote bush) over there. As a matter of fact, I have to go too." So, the two pols slipped away and unzipped behind the bush. Just then, a blast of icy wind came up. LBJ shivered and remarked, "Pretty chilly!" Montoya replied, "Oh, thank you!"

BTW, There is one good reason to stop at VJM even if you don't need gas- The "tamale lady".:biggrin:

[Edited on 9-14-2005 by Oso]

David K - 9-13-2005 at 06:33 PM

The bathroom is in the lobby/office, behind the door, left side of counter/desk. See Hugo Lopez' four part art in the lobby (Spanish landing on a Baja beach with natives looking on)... Replaced the boojum painting that was sold at the festival...

[Edited on 9-14-2005 by David K]

David K - 9-13-2005 at 06:36 PM

One of the other parts...

rts551 - 9-13-2005 at 06:46 PM

Antonio

On the way to Punta Abreojos,

Always fill up at your station - quick, honest and polite.

Stay in the motel when the time is right - and really enjoy it.

KEEP IT UP.

Al G - 9-13-2005 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan

Best the Pemex going into Manenedro with the am/pm there 4 in the Morning the attendent sleeping on sidewalk in front but open hot coffee and fresh roll very special!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks comitan,
A place worth remembering!

Oso - 9-13-2005 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Quote:
Originally posted by comitan

Thanks comitan,
A place worth remembering!

Yeah, always remember Manenedro, wherever the hell that is.

comitan - 9-13-2005 at 07:45 PM

Oso

Even if we had a spell check it still wouldn't be right. And I'll bet everyone knew where I was talking about, even if they couldn't pronounce it.

Oso - 9-13-2005 at 08:12 PM

Of course, and I know I'm being a Peedant, but I just get so frustrated by people who profess to have so many years in Baja and they still say "Guerro Negro". Chichis trais, can't you try just a little to get it right?

Guerrero Negro
Puertecitos

ahh, there's just too many. Fuggitaboutit.:barf:

Al G - 9-13-2005 at 08:38 PM

Well I thought it was just outside of Ensenada, but if you know tell me!!!Please:lol::lol::lol:

David K - 9-13-2005 at 08:40 PM

MANEADERO
Should 'Baja Spell Checker' return???

Beside that

Al G - 9-13-2005 at 08:43 PM

What the hell is a "e" or "a" between friends:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 9-14-2005 by Al G]

Al G - 9-13-2005 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
MANEADERO

We Have a spell checker?:?::no::no::no::light::lol::saint:

I stole your joke

Al G - 9-13-2005 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
Antonio, can us guys just walk around back of the station?:lol:

This reminds me of THE classic bi-lingual Chicano joke:

I don't know how many here are old enough to remember El Chamizal, but this was a piece of land on the border that reverted to Mexico when the Rio Bravo (Rio Grande to gringos) changed course. This was during the term of Lyndon Baines Johnson and, I believe, Gustavo Diaz Ordaz.

There was a ceremony, sometime in mid-winter, to celebrate the handover, with mariachis, libations and long-winded speeches in Spanish and English. After awhile, LBJ felt the call and whispered to Sen. Montoya of New Mexico, "Senator, where can a man take a leak around here?" Montoya looked around and said, "Well, Mr. President, there's a big chamiza (creosote bush) over there. As a matter of fact, I have to go too." So, the two pols slipped away and unzipped behind the bush. Just then, a blast of icy wind came up. LBJ shivered and remarked, "Pretty chilly!" Montoya replied, "Oh, thank you!"

BTW, There is one good reason to stop at VJM even if you don't need gas- The "tamale lady".:biggrin:

Could not help myself my Baja friends in Todo Santos will love it.

jejejejeje

BajaCactus - 9-13-2005 at 10:50 PM

Great one Oso... never heard that story before...I sure will not forget it so I can spread it around....jejejeje

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

neilmac - 9-14-2005 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Quote:
MANEADERO

We Have a spell checker?:?::no::no::no::light::lol::saint:

Yeah, sure we do.... where is Bruce, anyway?

Neil

From two years ago...

David K - 9-14-2005 at 05:18 PM

BAJA SPELL CHECKER, where are you?

In his/her absence I offer a list of frequently mis-spelled place names (with a common mis-spelled version). Please add to this list with your discoveries, all in good fun!

TIJUANA (Tiajuana)

MEXICALI (Mexacali, Mexicalli)

ROSARITO (Rosarita)

ENSENADA (Ensinada)

SANTO TOMAS (Santo Thomas)

SAN VICENTE (San Vincente)

SAN QUINTIN (San Quentin)

PUERTECITOS (Puertocitos)

ALFONSINA'S (Alphonsina's)

SANTA ROSALILLITA (Santa Rosaliita, etc.)

SAN FRANCISQUITO (San Franciscito, etc.)

GUERRERO NEGRO (Guerro Negro)

MULEGE (Muleje)

LORETO (Loretto)

LOS BARRILES (Los Barilles)

thebajarunner - 9-14-2005 at 08:11 PM

David, didn't we do this before?
My favorites are:

Colonia Guerrero (actually Colonia Vicente Guerrero)
Colonet (that one has a dozen variations)

and of course, Valle de Trinidad, which may not even be the name of the place....

David K - 9-14-2005 at 08:30 PM

Yes Dick, we did! As I stated, 'from a couple years ago'... The list did get pretty big as so many gringos spell things 'close' to what they think is correct...

COLONET (from the original English sea captain Colnett)

COLONIA VICENTE GUERRERO

VALLE DE TRINIDAD

Good to see you back home on Nomad...

Runner...

Sharksbaja - 9-14-2005 at 08:37 PM

you mean about Pemex stations or speling lezzons:?::?:

OK will the real one please stand up!

Al G - 9-14-2005 at 09:57 PM

Quote:
BAJA SPELL CHECKER, where are you?

In his/her absence I offer a list of frequently mis-spelled place names (with a common mis-spelled version). Please add to this list with your discoveries, all in good fun!

TIJUANA (Tiajuana)

MEXICALI (Mexacali, Mexicalli)

ROSARITO (Rosarita)

ENSENADA (Ensinada)

SANTO TOMAS (Santo Thomas)

SAN VICENTE (San Vincente)

SAN QUINTIN (San Quentin)

PUERTECITOS (Puertocitos)

ALFONSINA'S (Alphonsina's)

SANTA ROSALILLITA (Santa Rosaliita, etc.)

SAN FRANCISQUITO (San Franciscito, etc.)

GUERRERO NEGRO (Guerro Negro)

MULEGE (Muleje)

LORETO (Loretto)

LOS BARRILES (Los Barilles)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ripped off..

msawin - 9-14-2005 at 10:10 PM

You just never know when it might happen or where..2 years ago we were down in Tripui for a two week stay with friends staying in town.Us guys went out fishing up north of Coronado and had the girls drive the truck and trailer up to town to pull out at the marina in Loreto...... My wife does not buy fuel. I am allways driving..My ford diesel take about $14.00 to fill the front tank. My wife also is not much on the exchange rate...But that sould not mater. The guys at the Pmex on the main drag have been there for years and do a great job. They had a young man very early 20's working...That tank of diesel cost me $140.00.......I went to the Pmex and got the manager to come out and I told him my beef..Nothing happened but the young man is no longer there. You never no when it could be tried on you.. Marty

Bob and Susan - 9-15-2005 at 05:21 AM

..lets do some math...

$14 / $1.70 = ~8.25gallons

You NEED a BIGGER tank...period!!!:lol::lol:

This was ALL YOUR fault....:P

1. you never trained the "gasser"

2. you were distracted by the "fish"

3. you tasked the job to the "girls"

4. "they" had way too much money:lol::lol: