BajaNomad

Stomach problems acquired in Baja

Sharksbaja - 9-14-2005 at 12:16 AM

Big topic I think! I once saw my good buddy writhing in pain for days as he tried to fight off a serious "bug". He was sick as a dog.

I have had the usual "acclimation " scenario but never the full blown "Revenge" that can strike.
Is this still a problem for travelers or are they conscientious by drinking bottled or purified water thus preventing illness?
I wonder how many people get "whacked" these days?

capt. mike - 9-14-2005 at 02:00 AM

drink plenty of tequila to cleanse the system!!

Skeet/Loreto - 9-14-2005 at 06:57 AM

In all my years in Baja , I found that overeating and drinking too much cause a lot of the problems.

turtleandtoad - 9-14-2005 at 07:25 AM

I didn't run across any "Revenge" cases during my last trip but was also told that, except for a few locations, it's now more of a problem on the mainland than in Baja.

I don't use bottled water in my RV but I do fill my tanks through a submicron bacteria filter and an activated charcoal filter.

I also eat off the push carts and taco stands, never had a problem (knock on wood).

rpleger - 9-14-2005 at 07:29 AM

In my years in Muleg? I have found that just eating and drinking are cause for problems.

I also have found that now I have problems when I cross into the north.

wheres the bano???

eetdrt88 - 9-14-2005 at 08:37 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

should've used a little more...

eetdrt88 - 9-14-2005 at 08:41 AM

habanero sauce:yes::yes:

Not me

Al G - 9-14-2005 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Big topic I think! I once saw my good buddy writhing in pain for days as he tried to fight off a serious "bug". He was sick as a dog.

I have had the usual "acclimation " scenario but never the full blown "Revenge" that can strike.
Is this still a problem for travelers or are they conscientious by drinking bottled or purified water thus preventing illness?

Sharksbaja'
My last two month+ long trips I drink the water except for coffee using bottled as I do here for taste.
I eat at all the street stands, cook with mexican meat, vegetables and anything I need.
I don't worry and have not had a problem.
I believe Baja has solved that problem.
Every trip (mainland) I made in the 70-80s I got sick.
Now I have a real fondness for Real Hacienda and thats another story.:biggrin:
Al G

[Edited on 9-14-2005 by Al G]

JZ - 9-14-2005 at 11:13 AM

Cipro should be in every first aid kit. It is the gold standard. Pick it up in a pharmacy in MX.

"Cipro is a prescription antibiotic effective against a broad range of bacteria. Cipro is prescribed for prostatitis, cystitis, bacterial infections and infectious diarrhea..."

turtleandtoad - 9-14-2005 at 11:45 AM

JZ
Your description mentions a prescription, is this required in Mexico?

comitan - 9-14-2005 at 11:47 AM

OK my 2cents Cipro I think is overkill for for most infections from eating in unsanitary places. There is a medicine over the counter here called TREDA
It will clear up most bowel infections including e -coli, my wife carries the tablets in her purse all the time It works 2 tablets a day for 3 days. if you want to find out more just google it w/translate. Also its my opinion that some people come down here for a vacation believe in drinking beer not water, then a day out fishing in the heat they get dehydrated=sick.

comitan - 9-14-2005 at 11:51 AM

In Mexico you don't need a prescription for Cipro, but you better know how to use it. One clue prostatitis requires Cipro 1 a day for 21 days.

JZ - 9-14-2005 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by turtleandtoad
JZ
Your description mentions a prescription, is this required in Mexico?

The pharmacy won't require you to have a prescription. Buying one bottle I think is okay. Buy a 6 month supply and you have an issue.

osoflojo - 9-14-2005 at 11:53 AM

I have seen dehydration leading to more cases of the "trots" than the food and water. Especially during the warmer months. Of course the copious amounts of alcohol that we consume would have little to do with dehydration, right?

Cipro

Sharksbaja - 9-14-2005 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
Cipro should be in every first aid kit. It is the gold standard. Pick it up in a pharmacy in MX.

"Cipro is a prescription antibiotic effective against a broad range of bacteria. Cipro is prescribed for prostatitis, cystitis, bacterial infections and infectious diarrhea..."

Cipro has become a drug of choice by many physicians these days in the U.S.
So many strains of infectious bacteria have become immune or tolerate typical penicillin treatments that Docs are perscribing alternate drugs more & more.

This will backfire eventually too as the microbes adjust their genetic info to ignore the drug(s).
There is also reporting to CDC when using this powerful antibiotic to treat potential diseases like Salmonella.

The down side of a wide spectrum anti-biotic is the fact that it also kills off the beneficial bacteria in your body hence the necessity of reintroducing acidophilus and other necessary probiotics after a treatment

turtleandtoad - 9-14-2005 at 12:21 PM

Sharks, Comitan,

I think you're both right and plan on using Treda if I ever have a problem but I like to have some Cipro on hand for real emergencies. Being single I don't have someone to run out and get medication if I get really ill.

The Federal Government provided me with some Cipro to carry with me before my last trip to Saudi Arabia so I'm familiar with it (never had to use it though).

Sharksbaja - 9-14-2005 at 12:43 PM

Treda: Neomycin sulfate combined with Caolin, a clay, is a great remediator of intestinal/bowel problems associated with bacterial infections or inflammation. A similar product is used by my sister who lives in England to treat her inability to digest whey properly which is in most dairy products.

Make sure you have no problems with reactions to antibiotics before use.

Taco de Baja - 9-14-2005 at 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja

I have had the usual "acclimation? scenario but never the full blown "Revenge" that can strike.

Two friends got a dose of Shigellosis (see below) from a taco stand in (I think) Colnet (may have been San Vincente or Santa Tomas) in 2000, on our way home. We picked the stand based on it being the one with a lot of truckers having lunch there....This must be the best one in town! We thought.
The four in our group all had 4 tacos each, and one person decided to order 3 more tacos for themselves. A new woman made them. He could only eat one of them and asked, if anybody wanted the rest. Another friend ate the remaining two.

Two days later the guy who had the one taco had a mild to medium upset stomach with diarrhea. The guy who ate the 2 extras almost had to be hospitalized due to dehydration and a fever of 104. His case was so bad that he even got a call from the CDC in Atlanta to determine where he got infected and to make sure he did not work in the food service industry, which he does not. The mild case did not take antibiotics and was ok in a week to 10 days. The bad case went on a full dose of antibiotics, lost a lot of weight and was not back to his old self for over a month.

As you can see from below Shigella is a fecal oral bacterium. Thus, they probably got it from the 2nd woman handling the tortillas or taco fillings without washing her hands after depositing some diarrhea in the outhouse .:barf: The one friend who got a mild case, only ate a few of the bacteria, while the friend who got it bad, must have consumed a bunch.

Thus even if you follow the rule of "don't drink the water", you still may get wacked.

Quote:
Shigella is a genus of the bacterial family Enterobacteriaceae. Shigellae are Gram-negative, nonmotile, non-spore forming, rod-shaped bacteria, very closely related to Escherichia coli.

Shigellosis is an infectious disease caused by various species of Shigella. People infected with Shigella develop diarrhea, fever, and stomach cramps starting a day or two after they are exposed to the bacterium. The diarrhea is often bloody. Shigellosis usually resolves in 5 to 7 days, but in some persons, especially young children and the elderly, the diarrhea can be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized. A severe infection with high fever may also be associated with seizures in children less than 2 years old. Some persons who are infected may have no symptoms at all, but may still transmit the Shigella bacteria to others.

Shigella are transmitted from an infected person to another who become infected. Shigella are present in the diarrheal stools of infected persons while they are sick and for a week or two afterwards. Most Shigella infections are the result of the bacterium passing from stools or soiled fingers of one person to the mouth of another person. This happens when basic hygiene and hand washing habits are inadequate. It is particularly likely to occur among toddlers who are not fully toilet-trained. Family members and playmates of such children are at high risk of becoming infected. The spread of Shigella from an infected person to other persons can be stopped by frequent and careful hand washing with soap, a practice that is important among all age groups.

Part of the reason for the efficiency of transmission is because a very small inoculum (10 to 200 organisms) is sufficient to cause infection. As a result, spread can easily occur by the fecal-oral route and occurs in areas where hygiene is poor. Epidemics may be foodborne or waterborne. Shigella can also be transmitted by flies.

Shigella infections may be acquired from eating food that has become contaminated by infected food handlers. Vegetables can become contaminated if they are harvested from a field with contaminated sewage or wherein infected field workers defecate. Flies can breed in infected feces and then contaminate food. Shigella infections can also be acquired by drinking or swimming in contaminated water. Water may become contaminated if sewage runs into it, or even if someone with shigellosis swims or bathes or, much less, defecates, in it.

http://textbookofbacteriology.net/Shigella.html

Cincodemayo - 9-14-2005 at 01:03 PM

Just get Colloidal silver and no problems ever. Just an eyedropper in the AM and PM will deter any intestinal problems. Have never been sick in Mexico or Baja when using it. My oldest brother is a nurse and said he didn't need that stuff and he was sick for 2 weeks after getting home....no one using it was sick at all.

Sharksbaja - 9-14-2005 at 01:27 PM

Don't let the pharma corps hear that:lol:

I have read the benefits before... guess it's time to look closer. Good info Cinco.

Cincodemayo - 9-14-2005 at 01:36 PM

Sharks...My brother has been into products like that for years but not all colloidal products are good. I'll get the company name and website for all to see. The stuff really works. Doctors prescribe antibiotics like candy and telling firsthand that's the immune systems demise as I nearly died this summer from a strepp infection that thrived on antibiotics...lost 30 lbs, couldn't eat for 10 days or drink water the last 4 days...104 F temp and had to go for surgery, on steriods and Vancomyacin for another week....My doctor didn't think I was going to walk out of the hospital let alone what my poor wife went thru but my stubborness prevailed and I'm back to normal with my High School weight once again at 50!

El Jefe - 9-14-2005 at 02:27 PM

Shegella. A bad for sure. We got it about 15 years ago after being in Baja after amajor storm. Symptoms were controlled in Baja through a local perscription. However, upon return home days later it came back with a vengence. The CDC was very interested in where I had been too.

I don't think we have ever been sicker. Thank heavens nothing like that has happened since.

By the way, I found out through process of elimination (ha) that the bubbling red salsa that I just love on fish tacos gives me a temporary case of the cramping squirts (to be blunt) the next morning. Alas, I only eat that really good salsa in small doses now.

rpleger - 9-14-2005 at 02:36 PM

When I get sick I just use the pink stuff, drink it right out of the bottle.
It's worked for me for years.

Pepto-Bismol = pink stuff

Cincodemayo - 9-14-2005 at 02:38 PM

Richard...
That's the whole thing to NOT get sick as the colliodal silver takes care of the bad bacteria so you don't need the pink stuff!:tumble:

Be wise, carry something

Sharksbaja - 9-14-2005 at 03:06 PM

A very handy item I always carry that is handy for minor intestinal problems is common substance similar to kaolin(china clay) but is more beneficial. Called bentonite, this volcanic clay has been used for centuries by native people and more recently sold as "magic clay".

The uses being many, this clay dissolves easily in water and actually taste quite pleasent. purported to extract toxins, poisons and other harmful by-products associated with gastro-intestinal diseases and conditions.
It is readily available although it mostly is marketed as a beauty clay. It can also be made into a pultice in which one may treat external problems as well.
I have been told amazing stories of illnesses being resolved with the use of bentonite.
There is much info and many testimonials available online.

Most of the time minor problems can be alleviated without antibiotics and one would be wise to refrain if at all possible.

Eli - 9-14-2005 at 04:30 PM

Thanks Sharks, kaolin information is worth keeping.

Tucker - 9-14-2005 at 04:41 PM

Another name for bentonite is drilling mud!

Sharksbaja - 9-14-2005 at 05:51 PM

It's slippery stuff alright.

Skipjack Joe - 9-14-2005 at 06:09 PM

I've had my share of intestinal problems over the years throughout Latin America. Some said it seemed to be more prevalent in the 70's, 80's and I agree with that.

Last year I heard what seemed like a horror story about an infection. My neighbor at the campground and his brother were celebrating in Mazatlan when they both seemed to come down with a case of the runs. One brother just kicked back for a day or two and let things take their course. The other kept partying just as hard as before. Things worsened quickly and he was flown stateside for help. He never made it.

That was the first time I had heard of anyone dying from an intestinal infection.

Me Thinks He passed de or low or very not Dydrated

Sonora Wind - 9-14-2005 at 06:44 PM

Check the increase in Homo population with the invent of ( Wine)++ ( Spirts )++ ( Beer )+. Note to self: FISH pee IN WATER!!! Tequila increases life span, decreases stomach problems, and increases outrageous vocabulary. So the down side???:yes::yes::yes::cool:

Dave - 9-14-2005 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonora Wind
Check the increase in Homo population with the invent of ( Wine)++ ( Spirts )++ ( Beer )+.

Alcohol would tend to blur gender lines. :moon:

In theory, it could work. ;D

Frank - 9-14-2005 at 09:23 PM

:biggrin: Cramping squirts, you crack me up, El Jefe
Getting sick and then trying to make that long El Rosario to GN run would be "interesting"

kaolin

sylens - 9-14-2005 at 09:43 PM

is that the active ingredient in kaopectate (sp??) what are the realtive costs/benefits of kaolin vs kaopectate?
good info, btw!!thanks to all contributors

Sharksbaja - 9-14-2005 at 09:56 PM

Mud is cheaper. Kaopectates active ingredient BISMUTH SUBSALICYLATE is a mineral but unlike other natural remediations for diarrhea this one is not without precautions. May interact with antibiotics so one must be careful. Also dependency and other issues as well.
A good mud will creanse/relieve your intestines and bowels and will gently coat them without side-effects, and without probiotic destuction.

"in baja, all roads lead to ba?os

eetdrt88 - 9-15-2005 at 07:54 AM

its ok theres never a bano to far away when in Baja!

bajaden - 9-16-2005 at 12:50 AM

To put it simply, I guess the best thing to do is drink beer and eat dirt. Sounds good to me. After drinking enough beer, I'm usually in touch with the earth.

sick

mulege marv - 9-16-2005 at 01:49 PM

everytime i have been sick here it wasnt from the food and i only do the bottled water. i know what it was, it came in a bottle and i was sick for days.

Sharksbaja - 9-16-2005 at 01:55 PM

forget what I said!

Screw the stomach, it's my hand that hurts!

No wonder Marv.....isn't that "Urine de Elko'?

[Edited earlier]

[Edited on 9-16-2005 by Sharksbaja]

gringette - 9-18-2005 at 10:35 PM

my couple of trips to baja i must admit, being very new to traveling in baja and a gringo and all i was a bit wary of the roadside stands and what not we'd hit on the way down and back. ~ nary a problem yet -

how delightfully ironic that a couple of fish tacos from Baja "Fresh" in Westwood LA last may would awaken me (almost 8 hours to the minute from ingestion,) from sleep - all but frothing from the mouth and begining a nearly 10-hour oddessy of toilet gripping hell.

wow. :o :fire: