BajaNomad

More beach stories

Osprey - 9-16-2005 at 06:22 AM

From the Beginning

Our meeting on the beach was accidental, unexpected, casual. My relationship with Grady did not grow slowly from that moment, it was born in full bloom, as complete and complex then as it remains today. I am still in awe of the depth of human emotion, involvement set in motion so quickly and completely; as though we had both played our roles for thousands of years. My role was set in steel that very morning. Instantaneously I became and remain

His friend
His teacher, mentor
His cook
His doctor, nurse
His critic
His playmate, accomplice
His protector
His butler, barber
His hero
and
His slave

As I lie here in the dark, impatiently awaiting the dawn I wonder what chores Grady will have for me today, what wondrous things he's planned. It could be anything. He's still just a puppy.

Bob and Susan - 9-16-2005 at 06:24 AM

WOW!!!
I was WORRIED until the las 5 words:lol:

Diver - 9-16-2005 at 08:31 AM

Osprey,

Wonderful, wonderful wonderful !!!
Great story and writing !!

I would buy a book written by you !

TacoFeliz - 9-16-2005 at 08:42 AM

Yaaaaaaarrrrgh !:barf:

What a ride!

Al G - 9-16-2005 at 09:25 AM

Bravo Osprey :yes:

bajaden - 9-16-2005 at 10:04 AM

Sometimes, with our mortality in sight, we find inspiration, and perhaps vision beyond what we see.

My Best Friend

MrBillM - 9-16-2005 at 10:28 AM

Dogs are far better friends than most people and they're a lot less trouble than kids.

The other night we were out after dark and late getting home. My wife called the house so that our dogs could hear her on the answering machine and be reassured that we would soon be home. I waited for one of them to pick up, but they didn't. Probably outside barking at the back fence.

In a discussion once with a close friend who doesn't look upon dogs the same way, he told me that people, especially children, were far more important than dogs. I said "Don't take this too hard, but if I had to make the choice of saving YOUR kid or MY dog, I'd save the dog. As a matter of fact, if the choice were between YOUR dog and YOUR kid, I'd probably still save the dog".

Bob and Susan - 9-16-2005 at 10:49 AM

Ouch!!!:lol::lol:

Glad you're not my neighbor:lol::lol:
I know you'd save my dog over me:lol::lol:

On The Other Hand.........

MrBillM - 9-16-2005 at 12:03 PM

Any neighbor of mine knows that their dogs would be safe.

Years ago, when I was working for GTE Special Services in Palm Springs they held a seminar to discuss disaster plans, including building evacuation. I told them there was no point in my attending since there was an emergency exit ten feet from my desk. If something went South, I was going out that door and the rest of them were on their own. Don't look to me for help.

I've got a neighbor in Baja who was somewhat irritated with me for an extended period. They adopted a new puppy and whenever the puppy would get out of the yard, it would come over to our casa to play with my dogs and us. First thing in the morning, it would run over to jump into bed with us. They were somewhat miffed because the pup enjoyed being with us as much as being at home. I said that they should be happy knowing that the dog would not be running off among strangers on the beach.

bajajudy - 9-16-2005 at 01:20 PM

Osprey
You and Grady sure are lucky to have found each other, eh?

Glad You are Posting!!

lindsay - 9-16-2005 at 01:45 PM

After taking a break from posting myself, your posts are a great reason to chime in again!! Your writing, as the others have pointed out, is a jewel and it is always a pleasure to read.

As for our dog friends, I have quite a story about one most loyal pet from the disaster in New Orleans. A friend in San Diego has a co-worker whose sister was saved by an incredible dog. I know many people can not relate to those who are concerned with saving pets when we also have people in desperate situations but after I heard this incredible story, this dog deserves saving.

So, a man in San Diego gets a frantic call from his sister that her house is filling quickly with water after the levees were breached in New Orleans. She can't swim and is asking her brother what she should do. As he tries to tell her to find a large piece of furniture that can float, the line goes dead. A week later, the brother finally is able to talk to his sister again from a Texas shelter and she tells him the incredible story of how her life was saved that day. With the water rising over her head, the woman goes down under for what she describes as her final moments, she is resigned to dying. Suddenly from below, she is dumped and pushed back up above the water. It is her dog, a large Rottweiller. After her head is above the surface, the dog pushes her up against a wall in the house and keeps her afloat against this wall for almost 30 minutes by treading water with his four legs. At some point, she is able to get out of the house and the dog helps get her to the roof of a house where other neighbors are stranded and waiting for rescue. After 3 days, a boat comes to evacuate everyone off the roof. Unfortunately, the authorities refuse to take the dog too and the woman, understandably, panics at the thought of leaving her rescuer behind. Finally, she is forcibly removed from the roof and sadly I can not tell you the fate of the dog who was left alone on that roof. It still brings tears to me now just writing this for both the dog and the woman. I can't imagine the dog's sense of worry when he was left behind and I hope that my friend will somehow update me with a happy ending to this tale but it may be wishful thinking. So, for all those of you who have ever known the loyalty and deep friendship of a dog, pray for this one's safe return. Thanks again to Osprey for sharing his thoughts too!!

Happy Ending

lindsay - 9-22-2005 at 01:50 PM

When I wrote my earlier post in this thread about the amazing loyalty of a dog who saved his owner from a flooded New Orleans home, I didn't have much hope that there would be a happy ending for this dog that was left behind on the roof of a home. Well, I'm soooo happy to report that the dog was rescued from the roof and he had a microchip ID so he ended up at a shelter in Maryland where he was eventually IDed and has been reunited with his most grateful owner.

It's just one of so many incredible stories that have come out of this tragedy and let's all put our collective positive thoughts towards all those who are preparing for Hurricane Rita!!

Eli - 9-22-2005 at 04:41 PM

Ah Linsey, That's great, thanks, for the happy ending, I was just wondering today if the dog and his person got back togeather. Sure bet they are a happy pair about now.

David K - 9-22-2005 at 04:44 PM

Great report Lindsay! Thanks...

bajaden - 9-23-2005 at 01:50 AM

I couldn't think of anything funny to say. I love dogs. Any dog story with a happy ending is fine by me. Thanks Lindsay.

Bob H - 9-23-2005 at 09:32 AM

It's amazing how much we love our dogs...

Here is our Shelby-dog

http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=20855

Bob H

lindsay - 9-23-2005 at 09:56 AM

Thanks everyone for the kind posts and it was great news to hear that this incredible dog survived. You're all right about how much of a bond we can form with our dog friends. Pompano, your grandkids are very cute and they look about the same age as my daughter Sara who is 5. As for Mulege, I'm happy to report that we will be visiting the Mexican relatives just after Christmas and we will get to stay through New Year's. I'm excited for Sara to see the town all decorated for the holidays which is a lot of fun. Hope to see you then and best wishes to the pueblo!!

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Bajame - 9-24-2005 at 10:52 PM

Jackie and a friend went to Cancun this summer. Her friend felt like he was on a mission. A few days after they arrived they came upon this indian village and he wanted to stop and look around. Behind the shack houses was a dump area and three dogs were scouting through the trash heap. 2 were skinny but ok. The third one was a black puppy that was full of sores and skinny to the bone. He was limping and could not compeat with the others for food. Looking closer they could see that his two front legs were broken. He decited to do everything he could for the pup. Taking him to a nearby vet he was left there for a week, even the vet wasn't sure he would make it. They started him off on a drip for his dehydration and vitamins, worming meds and a special diet and after 2 days he began to show signs of improvement as his coat began change and start to take on shine and his eyes were full of wonder. His broken legs were too long that way and the vet said he will do ok for now. He slept alot and by weeks end when they came to pick him up the vet said that this little dog hit the lottery! They named him (tope) Before leaving Jackie and her friend found homes for the other 2 dogs that were left behind. Tope settled in salt Lake with three new dog friends and is so loved! He is a cutie! A very happy ending! PS Gary is a doctor and plans to return to the village to help those people there.