BajaNomad

rumorosa to trono blanco

jide - 10-14-2003 at 02:34 PM

Does anyone knows the road condition from el condor or rumorosa on the way south towards laguna hanson.
Do you know how to find the place that drops down into canyon tajo from up there?
Thanks
gerald

jeans - 10-14-2003 at 04:26 PM

I camped about 5 years ago at the head of Tajo Canyon in the pines. Of course, there is no road going down the canyon, just a hiking trail.

We went south from Rumoroso as if we were going to Laguna Hanson. The turnoff is off the free road next to a tienda and there was a sign saying Parque Nacional & Laguna Hanson.

There were numerous forks but you'll want to stay to the east and the road will get smaller. If you come to a part of the road where you are going up a rock face, you are on the right track.

Sorry I can't be more specific. No GPS back then. The canyon is awesome looking down into it, with massive rock walls that are popular with rock climbers.

found it!

jide - 11-5-2003 at 04:24 PM

@ mile 20.3, to the left go 1/4 mile, park and hike 1-2 miles across plateau towards the saddle, follow the cairns(stone piles) et voila!! one of the most stunning view in Baja, feels like standing on the edge of the grand canyon
Standing @ the edge of the sierra juarez plateau you can see the 12 miles long palm canyon tajo below and all the way to the sea of cortez on a clear day.

jeans - 11-5-2003 at 05:42 PM

Cool!! Do you have any pictures? We could only see down into the canyon looking south, not the whole vista you describe. Were you on that large rock face looking east? I'll try to find my pictures one of these days.

picture

jide - 11-10-2003 at 01:00 PM

nope, I was standing by the saddle, north of trono blanco, before hiking down, when I took this picture

David K - 11-10-2003 at 07:09 PM

GREAT PHOTO!!!

When we are racing along the Laguna Salada (seen in your background) to Guadalupe Canyon, we always glance west to the giant white granite dome up Tajo Canyon way. It's neat to see what the top of the ridge looks like. If you have more photos, please post or send them to me (if you would like to show them in a web page). u2u for details

Next time you want to explore the Matomi area (Mesa Avion, etc.), let me know! I still think that's an excellent area for a 'lost mission'!!! :yes:

Awesome picture!

jeans - 11-10-2003 at 11:31 PM

I had no idea that the canyon was that long. We never got "in front" of it...just looked down from the north side.

Now I want to go back! Thanks!

Jide's Web Page of Big Photos

David K - 11-12-2003 at 02:10 AM

There are five more big color photos from jide's trip: http://community-2.webtv.net/TheBaja/jide