BajaNomad

Do I need a Tourist Visa or FM2?

cathart - 9-20-2005 at 01:24 AM

My husband and I have just bought a house in La Mision. We plan someday to move there, but not right away. For now, I expect we will be spending long weekends, and maybe up to a week or so there. Maybe in the next few months, we may spend a month or more at a time. We will need to do some work on the house that we bought, so it's hard to know how much time we will spend there, but I'm thinking that it would be better to be there while the work is being done.

My question is--while we are not really moving yet, what kind of visa do we need?

David K - 9-20-2005 at 03:12 AM

I hope you have a great time in Baja, but once you have purchased property there you no longer are a tourist (FM-T), but a resident... part time perhaps, but still no longer a tourist. FM-3 or 2 is what you need, I do believe.

bajajudy - 9-20-2005 at 06:33 AM

Go for the FM3 not FM2 which restricts the amount of time that you can be OUT of Mexico. The trick is to get it when you are normally here so you dont have to make a special trip to renew it each year.
I dont know where La Mision is but I would bet there are people around to help you with this process; for a fee of course. Ask your agent.

Sorta

The Gull - 9-20-2005 at 06:38 AM

You can continue to get six month FMT's at the border, but the wiser approach is to get an FM-3 right now and then after 3-5 years, depending on the skill of an advisor, you can apply for your FM-2. Once you get Immigrato status, you are done with the heaviest burden of the bureaucracy surrounding your entry into Mexico.

Bob and Susan - 9-20-2005 at 06:39 AM

...check with you attorney that assisted with the sale..

follow the law...

It all depends on how you hold title...

[Edited on 9-20-2005 by Bob and Susan]

bajalou - 9-20-2005 at 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
You can continue to get six month FMT's at the border, but the wiser approach is to get an FM-3 right now and then after 3-5 years, depending on the skill of an advisor, you can apply for your FM-2.

Where do you get this 3-5 year figure? As far as I can tell from reading the regulations, there are none that require one precede an FM-2 with an FM-3.

--Larry

The local Imigration office in San Felipe is the one that has told us 5 years of FM3 before applying for a FM2.

About 3-4 years ago, they said no FM3 requirement for FM2, but 2 years ago said again, the FM3 is required.

:biggrin:

bajajudy - 9-20-2005 at 09:01 AM

This will answer some of your questions

http://www.ajijiclaw.com/Immigration.htm

I have been under the impression that you can go for the FM2 immediately but it does differ from place to place.

Quien Sabe!

rpleger - 9-20-2005 at 11:41 AM

I started with 5 years FM3, switched to an FM2
and now, next year, I'm up for the next step which is emigrado (FM1) no more renewals.

Each step I have gained rights and respect from officials of the government.

Like Pompano says, each place is different.

The Gull - 9-20-2005 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
You can continue to get six month FMT's at the border, but the wiser approach is to get an FM-3 right now and then after 3-5 years, depending on the skill of an advisor, you can apply for your FM-2.

Where do you get this 3-5 year figure? As far as I can tell from reading the regulations, there are none that require one precede an FM-2 with an FM-3.

--Larry

Just go to your local Migracion office and try it. Good luck!

rpleger - 9-20-2005 at 05:47 PM

cathart...........

You should have an FM3.

Pstreet1 - 9-21-2005 at 06:15 PM

You want an FM3 as soon as possible to begin establishing your ability to sell your property should you desire. If it is designated as your primary residence (as proven by utility bills in your name) for 2 1/2 (I think) years after your FM3 is registered, you won't owe capital gains in Mexico. Without the FM3, that isn't true.

You also need the FM3 to open a Mexican bank account.

We got our first one at the consulate in San Diego--VERY easy process: take copies of 6 mts. bank statements (we took the originals and they took them permanently), your marriage certificate (apostile), your passports, and be prepared to give them money (cash). You can get the FM3--good for a year--the next day. When it was time to re-new, we did it properly and registered where our condo is. At this point, I don't know if the first year counted because we weren't registered locally. They may have registered us for the first year when the booklet was sent in......but then again,.....they may not have.

Anyway, to be legal in Mexico, you need the FM3, just as Mexicans in the U.S. need their green cards.

Bank Accounts ?

MrBillM - 9-21-2005 at 06:38 PM

I had to open my Mexican Bank Account to get the FM3.

Although I could have brought down Certified proof of my U.S. banking, I decided it was easier to simply put $1500 in a Mex bank.

Nonetheless, the Bank account came before the FM3.

David K - 9-21-2005 at 07:42 PM

Cathart asked the same question over on Vags, and someone there told her she doesn't need an FM-T because she will not go past the Guerrero Negro check point/border, or an FM-3 because those are only for FULL time residents!!!:o:wow:

I did post what I believe are the facts... but if anyone else wants to add something, check it out!: http://www.vagabundos.com/New%20Forums/index.php?showtopic=5...

Pstreet1 makes the right point

The Gull - 9-21-2005 at 08:25 PM

Avoidance of taxes and the bank account.

You have plans to never sell and never put your money in a bank, things change.

You can establish a bank account to "apply" for the FM-3 and doing it in Mexico, I have found is easier than in the states. Right after you get the Fm-3 the bank needs a copy of the FM-3 for their records.

Register locally, probably in Rosarito Beach. It is east of the main drag. Go to the McDonald's and take that road over the pay road and then your first right. It is a new three story building with a big open courtyard in the middle. Third floor office opens at 9 or 10 am daily.

Pstreet1 - 9-22-2005 at 08:09 AM

Interesting about the bank account. We used 6 mts. worth of an American bank's statements to get the FM3 at the consulate in San Diego. Later, we opened a bank account in Rosarito. First he asked for passports; next he asked for FM3's, and specifically said, "No FM3's, no bank account." Later he asked for utility bills and said the same thing: "No utility bills, no bank account." I have a friend who had already opened a dollar bank account and wanted to open a peso account at the same bank. Even though they had an established account, the bank wanted more utility bills to open the peso account--and even had to call Mexico City headquarters to verify that it was o.k. to have the wife on the account despite the fact that she had no utility bills in her name.

Perhaps it varies from bank to bank?????

Shazaam Man !

MrBillM - 9-22-2005 at 09:49 AM

Pstreet1 Quote:

Perhaps it varies from bank to bank?????
-----------------------------------------------------

You have captured the essense of the Mexican Bureaucracy. EVERY RULE AND REGULATION varies from place to place and person to person. David Ks advice was right on point. You have to go where you intend to do the paperwork and find out what they want. The written rules are meaningless.

As far as my Bank Account activity, I opened my account (Bancomer) PRIOR to the FM3 paperwork and neither I or my broker EVER sent the bank ANYTHING else. Our only contact subsequent with the bank was at each yearly renewal when the amount on deposit was verified. The fact that I used a broker who does the same thing for a multitude of others and is well-known at immigration may have something to do with the procedure, but that's the point, isn't it ? You don't know until you try.

The documents that Bancomer wanted to see was the FMT and a letter from my Landlord proving residence AND testifying to my good character. The latter is kind of funny. What landlord wouldn't testify to your good character ? I ran into a glitch because I had said letter, but it was almost a year old and he demanded one that was no more than thirty days old. When I told my landlord, his comment was "P-nche Burocrata".

Tucker - 9-22-2005 at 02:50 PM

My experience with bank accounts and Immigration, first FM-3 I had a Mexican account, subsequent 8 renewals no Mexican account required. It could change next year, who knows?

The Gull - 9-22-2005 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cathart
My husband and I have just bought a house in La Mision. We plan someday to move there, but not right away. For now, I expect we will be spending long weekends, and maybe up to a week or so there. Maybe in the next few months, we may spend a month or more at a time. We will need to do some work on the house that we bought, so it's hard to know how much time we will spend there, but I'm thinking that it would be better to be there while the work is being done.

My question is--while we are not really moving yet, what kind of visa do we need?

Is it clear yet? The answer is undoubtedly.

Bob and Susan - 9-22-2005 at 06:45 PM

gull...

I'm not CLEAR...I think the answer is "SOMETIMES":lol::lol:

bajajudy - 9-22-2005 at 06:47 PM

or Maybe

rpleger - 9-22-2005 at 07:13 PM

All rules are local....................