BajaNomad

Potatos Into Baja!!!

losfrailes - 9-20-2005 at 11:37 AM

For those people who like potatoes and are coming down shortly.

Apparently the Agriculture folks here in Baja have determined that potatoes from up north have a virus and they are not allowing the importation of spuds now.

A word to the wise, if you bring potatoes down, hide them well, you are apt to lose them. And there are NONE to buy in the area of Santa Rosalia.

Potato Virus, what next!

comitan - 9-20-2005 at 12:15 PM

I think the mexican Papa farmers have something to do with this, Las week in La Paz the white?potatoe was 30 pesos a kilo I think a new way to subsidise the farmers.

rpleger - 9-20-2005 at 12:24 PM

Why, just to save a few pennies would one want to flock up the Agriculture of an area that you say you love and respect.

There are viruses and they can be controled by restrictions.

This is or is not a scam to sell local potatos, I seriosly doubt it.

Just like the med-fly is to Agriculture in California.

Show some respect to the government that allows to enjoy this wonderful place.

SHAME ON YOU

[Edited on 9-20-2005 by rpleger]

Tucker - 9-20-2005 at 12:27 PM

Right on, Richard!

Tucker - 9-20-2005 at 12:41 PM

When we were in our twenties and thirties, what did we talk about? I don't think it was potatoes, or was it?

bajaden - 9-20-2005 at 12:47 PM

Sorry Pompano, sweet potatoes and yams are one of the few things I dislike. Eatable things I mean. By the way, does anyone know where one can buy red potatoes? I need them for the potato salad Im making.

ta-ta's?

eetdrt88 - 9-20-2005 at 12:59 PM

or taters??

eetdrt88 - 9-20-2005 at 01:00 PM

hmmm,tough decision

eetdrt88 - 9-20-2005 at 01:00 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

A one time Baja farmers pespective

Don Jorge - 9-20-2005 at 06:17 PM

The introduction of the potato from non certified seed stocks is only a problem if the person who brings them down plants them.

Many people plant potatoes in their gardens and they flourish into beautful plants.

Unfortunately many of these plants could be harboring viruses which can easily and quickly be vectored through insect populations from plant to plant and field to field.

It then requires quarantines and destruction of crops and loss of livelihood for many folks, from farmers to middleman to retailers to consumers.

It is a very serious problem and if the Mexican Government is asking us not to bring potatoes then don't. Try the rice, eh?

The only thing good about potatoes in my opinion is they forced my great grandparents to leave Ireland and I am grateful for that!

Lots of potatoes are grown in San Quintin and Ojos Negroes so buy local and support the locals!

oladulce - 9-20-2005 at 06:55 PM

There used to be a large sign on the agi. casita in G. Negro that listed the items on the "NO" list, and on our first driving trip in 1990 I was suprised to find potatoes on that list. I haven't tried to bring them in since, and just assumed this was a permenant rule.

I don't think that sign is still there, but were potates allowed "in" for a while?

losfrailes - 9-21-2005 at 07:33 AM

Well, here is the reason for the current ban on spuds into this area.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20050906-9999-1m6sp...

turtleandtoad - 9-21-2005 at 07:52 AM

FYI

As a diabetic, potatos are a no-no for me but sweet potatos and yams have very little effect on my blood sugar!

Go figure.

Papas

MrBillM - 9-21-2005 at 09:41 AM

I usually take a five pound bag of Baking Russets when I head South. It has never been a problem at the border, even though I think it's always been illegal. I don't ever take more because they usually start growing buds before I finish them.

In San Felipe, both Mercado Baja and Mercado Sembrador have excellent quality baking Russets. The price is higher, but not bad.
We buy them all the time.

losfrailes - 9-21-2005 at 10:23 AM

Apparently the importation of potatoes is allowed in the border areas, like San Felipe.

However, further south is a NO, NO

Taters

Baja Bernie - 9-21-2005 at 10:42 AM

I've been taking potatoes, rice, and beans to my Mexican friends fo about 40 years and never had a problem unless I entered Baja Sur. And it is a little tough to hide hundred pound sacks.

If you are worried just take them by the can or frozen.

bajalera - 9-21-2005 at 11:18 AM

I can see the potatoes, Bernie, but why are you taking rice and beans to Mexico?

bajajudy - 9-21-2005 at 12:17 PM

As far as I know, you have never(well that is a stretch) been able to bring any kind of fresh vegetable nor fruit into BCS. I remember many a time sitting by the basura can just before the crossing eating oranges, lemons, apples etc. Never any raw potatoes though.

losfrailes - 9-21-2005 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
As far as I know, you have never(well that is a stretch) been able to bring any kind of fresh vegetable nor fruit into BCS. I remember many a time sitting by the basura can just before the crossing eating oranges, lemons, apples etc. Never any raw potatoes though.

Judy, thats very true. But now they won't even allow the large carriers to bring down spuds. I mean there are no potatos in BCS from up north.

rpleger - 9-21-2005 at 04:46 PM

I think that key here is that the Mexican government of BCS does not want anyone to bring in potatos from the US.

We are these peoples guests. Obey the rules.
We are only talking about pennys.

Shop local and make more friends.

Corky1 - 9-21-2005 at 04:55 PM

Why does this senseless discussion continue? :?:

Just listen to Richard.

We are their guests! !:! ::!:

Do you smoke in your friends house if they ask you not to???:fire:

My .02 :lol:

Corky

Hey Judy

MrBillM - 9-21-2005 at 06:00 PM

WHY don't you just give the produce away rather than hog it down ?

David K - 9-21-2005 at 06:12 PM

Even with NO Mad Cow meat sold in America (or anywhere), Mexico (at Guerrero Negro) wouldn't allow American meat in... :o I bet those officials had some great bbq on many occaisions!:wow:

It is because of that, maybe why there is some hesitation to believe their patato story. :?:

Good thing extra crunchy peanut butter hasn't been put on that prohibited list, eh Charles?

Lera

Baja Bernie - 9-21-2005 at 06:56 PM

Because they found that beans and rice from the U.S. had fewer rocks and it took much less time and less propane to cook them and so are really cheaper than bought in Baja---That is what they tell me and they are doing the cooking and I still do not argue with them.

Bernie

bajalera - 9-21-2005 at 07:02 PM

Sounds fair enough.

Diver - 9-21-2005 at 07:10 PM

One potato, two potato, three potato, four;
This potato thread is a real bore ! :lol:

We buy our fruit and veggies in Baja like the locals !! :biggrin:

Tucker - 9-21-2005 at 07:20 PM

I agree Diver, I buy what I can locally. DK, aside from peanut butter (a processed food) being in short supply locally, it is mostly delivered by some pretty righteous Baja Babes!

David K - 9-21-2005 at 07:36 PM

Sounds good to me Tucker!:biggrin::bounce:

vandenberg - 9-22-2005 at 10:23 AM

SAUL'S

We make the occasional trip to Mulege, just to shop at Saul's. Has some good stuff and the trip alongside the Bay is always worth it.

bajajudy - 9-22-2005 at 04:08 PM

Sauls has great frozen steaks!

Hey Mr Bill why dont you...........................................

jerry - 9-28-2005 at 03:17 PM

sweet potatoes and yams baked.topped with real butter a hint of nutmeg and cinamin yummmmy

bajajudy - 9-30-2005 at 02:58 PM

Just read on the Baja Pony Express that some people were checked in GN for potatoes(they said that they were not asked about meat) and that their FM3 number was recorded.
Never heard of either

Bob and Susan - 9-30-2005 at 03:02 PM

..they record my Fm3 EVERYTIME...this is nothing new

The immigration closes at 4PM...maybe you get there too late for the action

bajajudy - 9-30-2005 at 03:25 PM

Nope never had them do anything but look.