JR

cascabel 6 - 9-20-2005 at 02:43 PM

Anyone know what happened to him?

Sharksbaja - 9-20-2005 at 03:07 PM

Yes

comitan - 9-20-2005 at 03:10 PM

http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum

surfer jim - 9-20-2005 at 04:04 PM

It's been nice......to read posts about BAJA again.....

BornFisher - 9-20-2005 at 05:02 PM

Comitan-- about that link-- there`s no there there!!!

comitan - 9-20-2005 at 05:20 PM

Larry its available other places on the internet.

rpleger - 9-20-2005 at 05:36 PM

Leave sleeping dogs lie.

David K - 9-21-2005 at 06:17 PM

Here's what I do with emails posted on boards... instead of '@' use *at* So, my email posted on the Internet is info*at*vivabaja.com Does that work for everybody? Anybody not know that *at* is the same as @ ?? I didn't invent that, I just saw others do that...

bajaden - 9-21-2005 at 06:58 PM

I have no desire to e-mail Jr. To me, e-mails are more personal, and I really don't have a desire to become personal with Jr, at least, not at this time. I do miss him however. Jr had thin skin. Not a good thing if your going to give it out, so to speak. That was his acilies heal. However, he did make good points at times. You had to weed through the external debris, and if you could do that without having you button pushed, there was substance

Hey Jr. If you want to e-mail me, well, lets talk. But lets talk without the BS.

Den...............

thebajarunner - 9-21-2005 at 09:53 PM

they say that there are good potential plant seeds in bird doo-doo

(if you wish to pick through the d-d to find the seeds)

Sharksbaja - 9-21-2005 at 10:45 PM

Please don't chum. It's illegal in some waters you know!;D

jeans - 9-21-2005 at 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
How about *ampersand* ? That should confuse the issue well.

Ampersand is "&"

"@" is the commercial symbol for "at"

capt. mike - 9-22-2005 at 05:16 AM

JR will be back.....he's probably off in the remote wilds co mingling with the aboriginally indiginent populace!

bet you buggers to donutz he'll soon return with a whole new slough of JRisms!

all this place is, is entertainment afterall - take it seriously and you get hives.

You're Right !!!!

MrBillM - 9-22-2005 at 09:51 AM

My Mistake.

JZ - 9-22-2005 at 10:13 AM

Capt. Mike: I hope you are right!

jeans - 9-22-2005 at 10:13 AM

Quote:

You're Right

My Mistake.

Every woman loves those four little words.....

:biggrin:

bajaden - 9-22-2005 at 12:46 PM

Your mistake, I'm right........ Couldn't resist.

Ouch ! Piling On !

MrBillM - 9-22-2005 at 01:49 PM

But that's OK. I am human and therefore fallible. I'm somewhat reassured that others have made the same mistake often enough that it's mentioned in Wikipedia and other sights. I was curious to know what the "standard" technical name for that pesky symbol was. There is NONE. There are, however, a whole lot of different accepted (somewhere) words to describe it. From Wikipedia:

A commercial at, @, also called an at symbol, an at sign, or just at, and sometimes mistakenly called an ampersand, is a symbolic abbreviation for the word at. It is assigned to Unicode code point U+0040 (ASCII character 64). Its formal name comes from its commercial use in invoices, as in, "7 widgets @ ?2 ea. = ?14". It is also known as: about; ampersat or asperand (compare ampersand); amphora; ape; arobase; atgry; cabbage; cat; cinnabun or cinnamon bun; commercial symbol; cyclone; each; mercantile symbol; rose; schnable; scroll or scroll-a; snail; strudel; these; vortex; whirlpool; or whorl. Some of these are based on specialized usage, others are visual descriptions, and atgry (plural atgrynge) is a recurring joke proposed on Usenet as the answer to a longstanding linguistic riddle [1].
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about starting a poll to agree on a universal Baja Nomad standard word for that ubiquitous symbol ? Or just forget it and go back to calling it the "at" symbol.

Personally, I kind of like "schnable". What do you think ?

[Edited on 9-22-2005 by MrBillM]

capn.sharky - 9-22-2005 at 01:57 PM

Capn. Mike---Thanks for the warning.

bajajudy - 9-22-2005 at 04:01 PM

There is a word in Spanish for @
Does anyone know what it is?

The Gull - 9-22-2005 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
Quote:

You're Right

My Mistake.

Every woman loves those four little words.....

I thought they preferred: "Let me buy that" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cincodemayo - 9-22-2005 at 04:33 PM

A 90 year old man who had been married for over 70 years was asked how his success with marriage came about and he said he learned that two magic words were the key....YES DEAR.

Eli - 9-22-2005 at 04:38 PM

Judy,

@ is arroba in Spanish.

David K - 9-22-2005 at 04:42 PM

For a nomad word for the symbol @ : How about ''???:rolleyes:

bajajudy - 9-22-2005 at 05:17 PM

Eli
Muchas gracias. I was trying to understand an email address over the phone and that word kept getting in my way. After I hung up and looked at what I had written I knew that was a word I needed to learn.
When will you be back in LB?

Arroba

MrBillM - 9-22-2005 at 05:18 PM

I had forgotten that.

Down in Percebu, we have a camp dog that was left behind by some Gringos. He has sort of been adopted by the workers there, but we make it a point to bring down enough canned and dried dog food to feed him while we are gone. The workers have little enough for themselves and the dog wouldn't get much otherwise.

Anyway, I was told by a neighbor that they had named him arroba and everybody was calling him that. I looked up "Arroba" in Velasquez and found a variety of definitions, none of which seemed to apply. I asked Jorge why they were calling him Arroba and he said, no, He's A "Roba" because he's always stealing food.

jeans - 9-22-2005 at 08:19 PM

Quote:

I thought they preferred: "Let me buy that" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

That works too......

Another favorite are those three little words..."As you wish"

Diver - 9-22-2005 at 08:58 PM

My old 32' Carver said "Wife's Boat" across the stern :no: :(:(

Are you sure that helps?

Skipjack Joe - 9-23-2005 at 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
For those who miss him and want to corespond.

(jr's email)

For what it's worth, posting someone's email address in clear text like that, very likely is going to net them spam email. Harvest robots. It's best to disguise it in some way that a human can understand but doesn't appear to be an email to a machine...

--Larry

Larry and David K,

Are you sure your suggestions help?

I am not an expert on spyware but I will bet you that the software that examines your post doesn't look at the text as you are seeing it on the screen. I'll bet it scans the HTML files that generate the text you are seeing.

And, if you are providing an email link in an HTML file it doesn't matter what displayed text message you chose. In order for the link to work you need to include the email address. That email address is in the file but is not displayed as text. And since the spyware is looking at the HTML file and not the text we all see ... you are still exposing the user to potential worms.

skipjack

Is this a boring post? Undoubtedly. But it's 1:30 AM and I can't think of an interesting post for you. And it is somewhat educational.

[Edited on 9-23-2005 by Skipjack Joe]

BajaNomad - 9-23-2005 at 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I am not an expert on spyware but I will bet you that the software that examines your post doesn't look at the text as you are seeing it on the screen. I'll bet it scans the HTML files that generate the text you are seeing.
Some work each way, and it doesn't matter if it's part of an email *link* or not. Either way it's looking for text in the format of an email address - and in the HTML code, the email address isn't in any different format to search for.

Not that anyone here cares, but ways around this are to display alternate text, or your email address in a graphic on the page, and to break the email into parts using javascript in the HTML code (this is not something you can accomplish in your posts to this forum board however). If anyone needs an example, you can refer to the source code at:
http://www.regionalinternet.com/contact.shtml

And it's scraping/harvesting/extracting software, not spyware. (fyi)

--
Doug

Bob and Susan - 9-23-2005 at 06:23 AM

Hey that's like...

JUNK MAIL = Bulk Advertising Circulars:lol:

mailto tag

Skipjack Joe - 9-23-2005 at 08:05 AM

Doug,

My point was that what you see on the screen is not everything that the software is analyzing.

Specifically, I had in mind the mailto tag in HTML. This tag, as you know, will cause the mail utility be invoked from the browser with the user's email address already in it. It's the browser's connection to the mail world.

This tag has some syntax that's displayed on the screen and some that's actually used as the destination email address. If you change the wording of the text in an attempt to 'hide' the address the software will still uncover it because it's processing the entire tag itself.

Obviously, if people are simply adding email addresses as free text then this doesn't hold true. I said you may not be hiding the emailing address.

Regarding how the searching software works. I really can't see how it would look for the email information other than by searching all of the files that make up any given page. There just ain't nothing else.

I could have done more thorough research on the subject but I'm not really that motivated by it all and neither are people that visit this site. I work with software for a living. It's my work. And when I'm not working ... I don't want to work.

Putting it another way: I'm part geek and part human. When I come to this site I want to be human. Does that make sense?

[Edited on 9-23-2005 by Skipjack Joe]

Eli - 9-23-2005 at 11:42 AM

Your welcome Judy.

I will be back in L.B. as of mid Oct., plan to stay home thru late January and than I plan to come back here to Oaxaca for a few months anyway.

bajaden - 9-23-2005 at 12:27 PM

I have noticed that several of my posts are missing. To the best of my knowledge there was no reason to remove them. Could someone enlighten me as to where they went?

bajaden - 9-24-2005 at 08:37 AM

Me, and my shadow, walking down the avenue. Damm Shadow... I once skated in a show to that tune. I was the shadow.

JR would appreciate this!

Don Jorge - 9-27-2005 at 11:14 AM

Harvested my bamboo I contracted out last spring. We are going to use it for building projects here on our farm. Bridges, palapas, tepees, etc.

Over 1700 views

jrbaja - 9-29-2005 at 11:17 AM

without one word from me!:lol::lol::lol:

I betcha chucky chicken and the rest of the "almost lifelike" groupers are rolling in their graves.:lol::lol::lol:

:bounce::bounce::bounce: Weeee Haaw:lol:

comitan - 9-29-2005 at 01:24 PM

JR

They are just viewing to see the roadside Circus.

Don Jorge - 10-3-2005 at 08:02 AM

Off topic cuz I grew and grow this bamboo in Alta California.
Here is a pic of our pumpkin patch and farm using bamboo as tepees, post , flagpoles and fences etc. But no attachments allowed in off topic?
So I bring JR back to the top of the page. I?ll say this bamboo is fun stuff to work and build with!

Bamboo teepees

Don Jorge - 10-3-2005 at 08:03 AM

More teepees

Don Jorge - 10-3-2005 at 08:22 AM

Jorge

jrbaja - 10-3-2005 at 08:50 AM

What have you done regarding curing/drying your bamboo? I have been doing some investigation and have found some pretty good ideas if you are interested.

Tomas Tierra - 10-3-2005 at 09:05 AM

JR,

I am interested. I have access to 60' foot bamboo here in Oxnard.. Have had mixed success in trying to cure it.. In our last exchange on this topic you recomended keeping it moist by splashing/spraying water on it..
Salt or fresh water?? seems like it either cracks(to dry), or gets black mold(to wet).. Other Techniques?? I have very limited space, like on the side of my house thats it..But I.m very keen to try something else

Also, have you ever tried to cut bamboo into quarter round trim??

TT

Thomas

jrbaja - 10-3-2005 at 09:35 AM

Depending on what you are using it for, soaking it in water for 3 months is the best technique. Submerged. This gets rid of anything bugs are interested in. Then, drying in the shade.
The mildew washes right off with a sponge. Another method is heating over charcoal. This dries it out quickly but I haven't tried this method yet.

Our main bathroom is all bamboo and so is our kitchen. We used 1/4 rounds, 1/2 rounds and full pieces. They sell splitters but we usually just use a machete.

Tomas Tierra - 10-3-2005 at 12:39 PM

JR

Are you coating it with anything before or after you split it, or before use?

How long of a peice have you been able to split with a machete?

Coatings

jrbaja - 10-3-2005 at 04:17 PM

You need to remove the waxy coating on bamboo with warm water and a scrubber sponge. (It's easy!) Then you can use stains, varnishes, paints, whatever to help protect and preserve the bamboo.
There are many ways used to preserve so you'll have to do some research as to which method you like or are able to use.
The longest we have split in half is about 30' (10 meters) using a machete but it ruined my hand made machete from friends in the mountains.:mad:
It splits pretty evenly whether dry or wet but if you split it wet, the pieces will deform.

Bambuena suerte:bounce::lol:

Tomas Tierra - 10-3-2005 at 07:08 PM

Thank you.. going to give the splitting a try..

Splitting bamboo

Sharksbaja - 10-3-2005 at 11:15 PM

I remember seeing these somewhere. Do you use the like.splitters

Those be them

jrbaja - 10-4-2005 at 09:06 AM

Although I buy locally from the welders.