BajaNomad

Disparate seafood cookery

Sharksbaja - 9-20-2005 at 08:26 PM

No not desperate cooking, off-road seafood cooking.

It is always wonderful to lay out todays catch and ponder the way to prepare it. A little more of a challenge for some but it is actually quite easy.

The most important elements being the ingredients. One must go yonder with a selection of the necessities.

Staples like oil, flour salt & pepper are a given and that's all you need for many dishes.
I prefer butter but it's hard take and keep intact. Butter in a tub works out well.
I like to bring some spices also. Cumin, oregano, basil. tarragon, paprika, chile powder. These are a few good ones for taking off the beaten path.
A few veggies; onions,chiles, cukes, celery, lemons/limes and the most important one, garlic. These all keep easily.
Don't forget the cheap white wine. I prefer Chablis to cook with.

Now all you need are some tortillas, rice and salsa.

What have I left out?

A couple of frying pans and a couple good sized pots.

Fire helps also.

Now we're ready to make myriad dishes, entrees and appetizers.

You can make fabulous meals with almost any seafood you can gather or catch.
Remember, seafood cooks very fast and overcooking is the most commonly made error.
Almost all seafood will turn white or opaque when ready to eat. Bi-valves an exception. Cooking beyond this point is not wise, it changes the consistency, texture and flavor.

When cooking seafood it's also wise to keep the seafood high in moisture. This can be done by adding enough wine, water or clam juice to keep the it juicy. Cover when cooking unless seafood is immersed in liquid.

Let's hear a few ideas on off-road seafood cookery. There's so many ways.......but surely never enough days

Diver - 9-20-2005 at 08:47 PM

Don't forget the fresh mango salsa on top ! mmmmm :lol:
How about foil for the tented, whole stuffed fish presentation.
(Also great for potatoes au gratin on the coals - sliced taters, butter and cheese).
I always put a can of roasted poblanos (adobo) into a jar for dishing into on long trips.
Corn flower or corn meal makes a great alternative breading, stuffing or corn bread.
Also, don't forget the beer ! for cooking and drinking !!

Heres another fish trick for cooking right on the coals;
Take a few cedar shingles with you.....place your fish in a foil pouch onto a dry cedar shingle. Place the whole thing, shingle down, onto the coals. The heat will bake the fish without burning the bottom as it takes a while for the heat to burn and come through the shingle. 15 minutes.