BajaNomad

A Question About Santa Rosalia History

mambo - 10-15-2003 at 09:27 AM

I had a question posited the other day.
In beautiful and fascinating Santa Rosalia there is a well-known biblioteca/library called the "Mahatma Ghandi". Sure, the French were there, and Eiffel's plans were used to build a great building, but how did Mahatma get so solidly in the picture?

Bob H - 10-15-2003 at 11:07 AM

Great question. There's no mention of him here in this history piece.

http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/89winter/history.htm

Enjoyable reading though.
Bob H

Ghandi is much vernerated throughout Mexico

Stephanie Jackter - 10-16-2003 at 10:06 AM

I've seen streets named after him, schools, etc. One of the best high schools in La Paz bears his name. My guess is that because Mexico is a pacifist country, the ideals of what he stood for simply resonated with many people. - Stephanie

The Answer (most likely)

David K - 10-16-2003 at 07:35 PM

Graham and Bonni Mackintosh spent a lot of time exploring around Santa Rosalia when Graham was on his Journey With A Baja Burro. I emailed Graham and Bonni if they knew the answer...

Graham just left for the Sierra San Pedro Martir to present his new book to some of the people up there.

Bonni told me that Lynn Mitchel (formerly with Discover Baja Travel Club) told Bonni how she asked the locals that very question.

The library was completed about the same time as the movie 'Ghandi' was being shown and there was a contest or poll for name choices... Ghandi won!