BajaNomad

Propane Prices

BajaCactus - 9-27-2005 at 11:36 AM

Pompano...

Out of the delvery tanks, price per liter right now is $3.8978 pesos...

BajaCactus

:D

Propane hours in El Rosario?

Anonymous - 9-27-2005 at 07:36 PM

Hey Cactus if you are in El Rosario.....
I'll be driving the Baja on a propane powered van this November. I figure I'll be going thru Colonia Vincente Guerrro, San Quintin and El Rosario on a Saturday or Sunday. Any idea on the weekend hours for Propane service?

TomS

Hours...

BajaCactus - 9-27-2005 at 09:38 PM

TomS,

I do not know the service hours for the propane business in El Rosario... I am going next week though...I will ask and post them here for you.

Look for this thread next week...after wednesday.

BajaCactus

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 9-28-2005 by BajaCactus]

bajaden - 9-28-2005 at 12:45 PM

Well someone beat me to it, but I filled my tank in El Rosario a couple of weeks ago and it was just under 400 pesos. Never tried on a week-end, so no help there.

TomS - 9-28-2005 at 04:40 PM

Last year I paid N$ 4.20 pesos per litre for Auto propane at Ensenada and N$ 4.58 at Loreto and LaPaz. Thats at the plant prices for road use fuel not regular use or delived.

I do like propane as an autofuel, clean, sometimes cheaper but not the same mileage per litre as gasoline.

Propane would be great alternative fuel for Baja except the mid-baja Propane Plants are usually closed early on Saturdays and closed Sundays.
It would be very nice to know where to find a small delivery propane pump truck ( "Pipa"I think they are called ). Locals probably know the drivers and the weekend delivery routes.
From the Propane plants and outlets at Colonia Vincente Guerrero, San Quintin, El Rosario, Guerrero Negro, Santa Rosalia, Loreto, thru to C. Constitution is where I'm just stuck on the weekends. I've tracked down a propane truck or two on Sunday's but you can't pass a town when the gauge is pointing toward empty. Sometimes that's good but no fun when your friends leave you behind.

Delivery "pipas"

BajaCactus - 9-29-2005 at 08:35 PM

The truck pipes that deliver propane in El Rosario comes from San Quintin...ONLY tuesdays and fridays....unless you have a special order in advance.

Maybe I should include propane fuel at BajaCactus Gas Station?

BajaCactus

Diver - 9-29-2005 at 08:39 PM

I've often seen a them filling from a large tank just north of the plant compound in La Paz on weekends.

TomS - 9-29-2005 at 10:14 PM

In LaPaz
A brand new autofuel-propane only station opened up last February about 5kms north of the LaPaz propane Plant. It's on the west side of the road, looks like a brand new gas station. It's possibly a little tight for large RV's. I don't think they will fill any19 or 100 litre portable propane tanks.

The old "Ranchito" is behind it on a dirt lane. :o

Anonymous - 9-30-2005 at 12:32 PM

Just got my tank filled here in Loreto ,and the price was 4.4454. How can it be that different in the state??:no::no::no::fire::fire::fire:

vandenberg - 9-30-2005 at 12:37 PM

Sorry

Forgot to log in
Maybe we 're getting screwed here on propane gas also to go with the gasoline:tumble::tumble::tumble::bounce::bounce:

thebajarunner - 9-30-2005 at 01:11 PM

Just for comparison, the delivery truck filled my home tank yesterday in Oakdale (Central Cal) for $2.369 per gallon.
Sounds like it is about 25% less in Baja right now...

(by the way, am I the only one offended by the .9 that is added to all petroleum sold in the US???)

PabloS - 9-30-2005 at 01:49 PM

Quote:

(by the way, am I the only one offended by the .9 that is added to all petroleum sold in the US???)

Aint that b*tch, you'd think someone would have the huevos to undercut their competition by a few tenths. :?:

turtleandtoad - 9-30-2005 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus
The truck pipes that deliver propane in El Rosario comes from San Quintin...ONLY tuesdays and fridays....unless you have a special order in advance.

Maybe I should include propane fuel at BajaCactus Gas Station?

BajaCactus

I'll second that idea! I'm an RV'er that would jump at the chance to fill up my propane tank there. Just make sure that you set it up as a "pull through" station and have plenty of room for the bigger RV's to maneuver (and remember that almost all US built Class A RV's have their propane tanks on the right side)!

wornout - 9-30-2005 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Just for comparison, the delivery truck filled my home tank yesterday in Oakdale (Central Cal) for $2.369 per gallon.
Sounds like it is about 25% less in Baja right now...

Looks like it is less than 25%.....BajaCactus said it was 3.8978 pesos per liter and there are 3.78 liters in a gallon that would be 14.764 pesos a liter or about 1.37 a gallon and that is somewhere in the 50+ % cheaper, I think?

Tank-Which Side

Garry - 9-30-2005 at 04:07 PM

I Have a 30ft, an the tank is on the drivers-side, which is left to me????

turtleandtoad - 9-30-2005 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry
I Have a 30ft, an the tank is on the drivers-side, which is left to me????

Liike I said, almost all. The right hand side has been an industry standard for about 10 years that I know of. What year/model do you have?

Haven't you had a problem getting into position to fill the tank? :?:

thebajarunner - 9-30-2005 at 07:40 PM

Wornout>>> good catch on the math stuff...
For a guy who never got above a D in high school math I ended up o.k.
(Since Baja Vida will no doubt spill the beans anyway, plus it is mentioned in our book that some of you have.....
I am a CPA but have not practiced in a lot of years- in fact, I called my practice "The Close Enough Accounting Company")
But, that is another story.
Anyway, I accept your math, you are a lot closer than I was, guess it was a sleepy afternoon and I should have turned on the calculator....
duhhhhhh...

San Felipe

MrBillM - 10-1-2005 at 05:19 PM

Last Tuesday, I paid 4.60 pesos por litro to Silza Gas out of San Felipe. I thought at the time I got ripped a little, but who knows ?

ensenada propane

sylens - 10-1-2005 at 05:49 PM

gas silza on thursday was 4.49/liter up from 4.33 in april. i had no idea it would vary this much. wonder if silza is different in price from z (zeta) propane.

wornout - 10-1-2005 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Wornout>>> good catch on the math stuff...
duhhhhhh...

Well, looks like there is a little 'error' in all of us :tumble: I said it looks like it is 'less' than 25% savings where it is actually 'more' than 25% :lol::lol: And now it is the time for those that never error to jump in. :spingrin::spingrin:

mrchuck - 10-2-2005 at 03:42 PM

Propane sold here by the delivery trucks are all priced the same as per Mexican Law. It is fixed. And the propane is sold by the weight in Kilograms, and not in gallons volume at the Global and Calgas propane sites.
The big green bottle I just paid for cost 420 pesos for a 45 kilo size.
A gallon of propane weighs 1.9 kilograms.
So the 45 kilos is converted to 23.68 gallons and 40 dollars paid for it.

The answer is 1.69 dollars for 1 gallon.

There are several of those new propane only "gas" stations on Hwy 1 between SJCD and CSL, and I haven't ever seen a car, truck in one of them filling up. Just no business, but there they are.

I also had a pick-up back in the early 70's that ran on propane(converted). Held 125 gallons. Then the cost ran 16 cents US, a gallon.
I got fuel in Mulege many times at Casa Yee,
Saludos,,,,mc

Bob and Susan - 10-2-2005 at 05:19 PM

MrChuck ALWAYS tells it like it is!!!
Kudos!!!

Sale by Weight or volume ?

MrBillM - 10-3-2005 at 09:24 AM

Speaking only for the Mexicali to San Felipe area, I have yet to see ANY location that sells propane other than per LITRO. The prices listed at the Bulk Plants AND on the delivery trucks are per LITRO. The flow meters that measure the gas delivered are calibrated in LITROS. I have NEVER seen a location where the gas was priced or metered by weight.

to expand geographically a bit

daveB - 10-3-2005 at 10:35 AM

checked receipts revealed MH took on"Gaspasa's" LPG in March this year at Mazatlan, for 4.75 pesos per litro. We fill on the left side.

Earlier, in January, a portable propane tank was filled at Cihuatlan by "Global Gas." This purchase was measured by weight and 4 kilos cost 33.28 pesos.

backninedan - 10-3-2005 at 11:02 AM

The Loreto tank farm sells by weight. Your tank is put on the scale prior to filling and you can see the exact weight your paying for.

El Rosario...

BajaCactus - 10-12-2005 at 11:12 PM

TomS,

I just arrived from El Rosario...the Internet service at BajaCactus is almost ready...

I asked about the business hours for the propane station in El Rosario and they told me it is all week from 8:00 am to 3:00pm.

However, I checked up while I was there and it was closed at different hours every day....I do not know if something happened this week or if this is a usual bahaviour...

Hope this info helps...

BajaCactus

Bruce R Leech - 10-13-2005 at 07:10 AM

if it is regulated by Mexican law why is the price deferent everywhere you go?:no::no: