BajaNomad

what to bring??

gwh - 10-16-2003 at 07:45 PM

I plan on being in baja for jan and feb of '04. I would like to do some fly fishing but haven't a clue what flies are popular throughout the area.
I will be bringing my tying gear as well so can adapt easily and tie my own. Is there a site which will show some patterns popular in the area??
when using a bait casting rig, generally how far a cast is necessary?? will a 7 ft. rod get ya by?? what can a guy expect to catch from shore or just off shore in a small inflatable?

TACKLE

Capt. George - 10-17-2003 at 04:02 AM

gwh...try flyfishinPAM......

Whistler, where you be? Have you received my last few E's....

Should be leaving by wednesday, you're route through Baja...How far are you from San Diego...may spend a day or two with a fishing buddy.....maybe get together?

George

Flyz para la peninsula

flyfishinPam - 10-17-2003 at 12:03 PM

I will parrot what Whistler's mother's son just said. Where will you be fishing and when, also what species will you be targeting??

I have a huge selection of flies in my Loreto shop and if you purchase some, I'll give you way more advice than you'll ever need, howz that?

Marie-Rose - 10-17-2003 at 04:35 PM

Pam
Can we get dirctions to your shop??

gwh - 10-17-2003 at 07:32 PM

thanks for the replies,
unfortunately I can't give you any more information than what I already have because I have never been down to baja and haven't a clue where decent fishing can be had close in, in Jan or Feb. I also don't know what kind of fish there are in those waters, to identify or even know what one would want to eat. I have asked these questions in previous posts and can't seem to get a reply. so I am sorry I can't be of more help in my post. all I want to do is some fly fishing, and also some spin casting. I have an additional question as well, is there a decent place where I can buy a 3mm wet suit? and how much do they cost in baja? is there anywhere I can buy a decent used one. need xl size. I apologize if this post is too long or garbled.

BajaNomad - 10-17-2003 at 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gwh
...is there a decent place where I can buy a 3mm wet suit?... is there anywhere I can buy a decent used one.
Ebay?:

http://tinyurl.com/rdo5

http://tinyurl.com/rdo6

gwh - 10-18-2003 at 11:41 AM

I did look on ebay, there are lots on there , however I haven't found one that would send the item to canada. I have also tried ebay canada, but items on offer are far fewer. thats why I am looking for a store or diving lesson place where I might find what I need.
thanks for your suggestion.

beachcaptain - 10-20-2003 at 09:00 PM

As for the wetsuit, yer best bet probably, if you are in the area of the east cape, is to look one up at cabo pulmo..probably find one pretty easy down there...to the fly rod subject: no...a 7' rod is not long enough...dont bother bringing anything less than a 9' 8 wt rod minimum...yer wasting yer time with anything less...if, again, you are anywhere on the east cape, the best place to get your flies and lures is at the baja fly company in La Ribera. Jim Hass has a complete selection of custom made locally successful flies that are second to none. His email is bajaflyco@hotmail.com..He's a great contact on the east cape and an accomplished fly tier for the area..look him up

Wetsuit

M_Man - 10-21-2003 at 08:06 AM

Take a look at LiquidFit http://www.liquidfit.com

gwh - 10-21-2003 at 07:35 PM

sorry beach captain I guess I wasn't clear enough, the 7' I mention is a shakespear ugly stick spin casting rod. the fly rods I will bring are 9 footers. I was curious on the spincasters. I just love to fish so do all kinds.
thanks again;

beachcaptain - 10-22-2003 at 06:55 AM

If you plan on being on the East Cape at all there's a little fly shop in the village of La Ribera that you can get some real good ideas about what to tie up. It's called the baja fly company and is run by Jim hass...he's a great guy and very knowledgeable....Would still, if i were you, consider a longer spinning outfit, at least 9' to combat the surf down that way during the winter....15 to 20# test is the norm so a little spin cast outfit will usually be inadequate..good luck..

Baja Flies...

Cardon Man - 10-22-2003 at 07:40 AM

gwh... You can be ready to rock with only a handfull of fly patterns. Clousers of course. And some simple baitfish patterns about 3" or so in length, white or dark over white with ample flash. As mentioned there are flies available in La Ribera. I'm not a big fan of Jimmy's flies... they are not tied on good hooks and the ones I've used didn't last as long as my own. Bring some stainless Gami's and some materials and you'll be set. Check out Gary Graham's Baja on the fly site at www.bajafly.com for some ideas.

gwh - 10-24-2003 at 06:50 PM

thanks for the input everyone, I'm going to get some additional tying supplies and crank up a few to get me started and then try my darndest to visit the people mentioned in a couple of posts and get some locally tied flies and maybe more compontents. I can hardly wait!!!!!!!!!
If anyone has more input I'd be pleased to read it. thanks again !!!!!!!!!
any tips etc.