BajaNomad

A stupid question

Baja Bernie - 9-30-2005 at 07:43 PM

I have specialized plates on my vehicle that read--"MI BAJA" and I have seen several others while traveling Baja. This past week I noticed one that read "Baja Dor" and that set me to wondering--who else has or knows someone that has a 'baja' plate. California DMV adivses me that BAJA---something is the most demanded specialized plates in California. Just look ad DMV.com and see what I mean. Anyone know Bajador??

bajaden - 9-30-2005 at 11:23 PM

Don't know about Bajador Bernie, but I tried to get plates for my exploder that said baja anything. I tried every combination I could think of and they all were taken. I finally gave up.

bajaden - 10-1-2005 at 12:26 AM

Don't know about Bajador Bernie, but I tried to get plates for my exploder that said baja anything. I tried every combination I could think of and they all were taken. I finally gave up.

Sharksbaja - 10-1-2005 at 12:57 AM

How's about Mobaja?

Heres mine

bajadave1 - 10-1-2005 at 04:46 AM

I've got Colorado tags. "BAJAFUN".:cool:

Bob and Susan - 10-1-2005 at 05:06 AM

Shark...

I thought that was a BEER!!!:lol:

bajajudy - 10-1-2005 at 06:35 AM

I bet Bajador is someone with a Lab.
We used to have a half lab half bassett hound and we always said that she was a rare breed....a bassador.
They wont let you have vanity plates in Mexico:(

Mike Supino - 10-1-2005 at 07:52 AM

Mine's 4D Lobo

[Edited on 10-1-2005 by Mike Supino]

David K - 10-1-2005 at 08:53 AM

Here's a related question... In 1980-81 when the CA plates went from 6 to 7 characters, I ordered THE BAJA and got them (yes I was jazzed)...

The last time those plates were registered (in use) were around 1997 or so... (they were on my '87 4WD Subaru that my ex-wife kept until she traded it in, but didn't keep the plates. She actually removed them and gave them to me... So I have them.

If I wanted to re-activate those plates, what would it cost me. I heard that I would have to pay for the years they were inactive, but that doesn't sound reasonable... ??? Thanks

bajalou - 10-1-2005 at 09:16 AM

The words have probably been re-issued to someone else. I had a "Lou 4X4" and didn't use it for several years and couldn't re-instate it as it had been reissued. Still have the plates tho. - might work in Baja???

:O

THE BAJA

MrBillM - 10-1-2005 at 09:35 AM

If those plates are still shown as registered to the previous vehicle, YES, you would have to pay the reservation fees and penalties if you wanted to use them again. After a number of years of inactivity in which the reservation fee was not paid, the plate ID is put back into the pool and anyone can purchase it without penalties. I ran into exactly this situation.

Since the plate "THE BAJA" is not available, it is either still shown on your vehicle or has been reissued to someone else. A trip to the DMV would be necessary to find out.

David K - 10-1-2005 at 09:56 AM

Thanks Bill...

Basically, those plates were on my Subaru, which I let my ex keep, and when she traded the Subaru in years later, she did not keep the personalized plates for her next car.

I don't have a big need for them, other than they are fun to have on my Baja truck... Maybe I should try an get GOT BAJA?

Probably taken!

Anyway, I still have them as momentos from my Baja exploring in the 1980's...