BajaNomad

Looking for info

lloyd - 10-13-2005 at 03:56 PM

Hi,

Necissito informacion, por favor.

I'm thinking about buying a retirement property in the La Paz area -- perhaps La Ventana/El Sargento.

I'll be spending the month of January in the area hoping to learn all I can about buying and building in Baja. I'd like to talk with anyone who can help me understand the process, gather good current cost information, and avoid legal/business/cultural mistakes -- banks, notorarios, accountants, real estate professionals, title insurance agencies, registry of deeds, architects, contractors, building supply sources, folks who can tell me about obtaining services (electricity, water, dsl, etc.), doing business as a foreigner, e.g. those who've been there done that and have stories good and bad that they're willing to share, etc.

I'm working on my Spanish, but I'm not yet fluent enough for intelligent conversation.

I'd be deeply grateful for advice on how to best obtain the information I need and, particularly grateful for recommendations or references to reliable people to I might meet and talk with in La Paz.

Many thanks,

Lloyd

bajajudy - 10-13-2005 at 04:05 PM

There is plenty of help available here from people in the La Paz area
IMHO you are doing the right thing spending the month of January in the area that you are interested in. It is very windy that time of year.....ergo all the windsurfers. Smart move to check it out.

Diver - 10-14-2005 at 04:45 AM

When you get to El Sargento, ask around for Mike Donahoe.
He is a gringo that runs a construction management and rental business in the area. He will be your best source for information on construction and properties.