BajaNomad

Ab Fab chorizo frittata

Gypsy Jan - 10-14-2005 at 09:40 PM

All the commercial wet Mexican chorizos in Baja that I have tried have not impressed me. Too much vinegar, too much something, something, couldn't put my finger on it.

In Rick Bayless' recent show on PBS, he highlighted the grill restaurants of DF (Mexico City, natch) and highlighted chorizo and cheese cooked separately and then mixed.

Well, that got me to thinking.

Take eight ounces of chorizo (Burr). Cook over medium low heat and reserve.

Pour the chorizo liquid back into the pan and then add
leftover baked potatos, saute until browned.

Also, separately saute mushrooms (white, but field would be much better) with white onions and garlic. Cook over medium heat until the onions are ansparent.

Grate a medium hard cheese, preferably Noche Buena Manchego.

Mix up 4-6 eggs in a bowl, preferably Bachoco brown.

Add the chorizo back into the pan (large). stir, pour eggs over, add cheese on top. Cook until the bottom sets and then put in oven and broil until the top browns.

This dish is heaven on earth. Good right out of the oven, good after sitting on the counter for a time, and still good when you wake up at *odark thirty* hungry and pull it out cold from the fridge.

[Edited on 10-15-2005 by Gypsy Jan]

[Edited on 10-16-2005 by Gypsy Jan]

bajajudy - 10-15-2005 at 07:01 AM

Sounds delicious Jan!
I use chorizo(after I cook it and drain it very well) on pizza as pepperoni is hard to come by but not much else.
Thanks for the recipe

vandenberg - 10-15-2005 at 08:21 AM

Judy

Found, and bought, large pepperoni in Soriana's in La Paz last week. Also 2 whole blue cheeses,mmmmmmmm!!!:yes: