BajaNomad

Importing a car?

Keri - 10-29-2005 at 11:25 AM

I have a friend coming into Baja and she wants to import her car. She is giving it to one of her workers in Loreto. I have never done that and don't have a clue. Anyone know of someone it Rosarito/Ensenada area that could do it for us? Or TJ for that matter if need be. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,k

comitan - 10-29-2005 at 11:34 AM

Keri

Its cheaper to import the car in Mexicali, a person to call 01 658 516 4512 Atte. Mario.
Its Imports Fox Last year an 89 was $190. a 99 $600.

[Edited on 10-29-2005 by comitan]

Thanks mucho.

Keri - 10-29-2005 at 01:12 PM

Why is it cheaper there than here? Isn't it the same process? She is coming thru TJ:?:.k

comitan - 10-29-2005 at 02:39 PM

They use a different valuation method. Last fall when I wanted to import my van at Tecate they told me $1200. who! then they told me they use the NADA book and Mexicaly uses a different method the van in Mexicali $700.00.

[Edited on 10-29-2005 by comitan]

Dave - 10-29-2005 at 05:58 PM

Keri, I think it would be cheaper and a lot less hassle if she were to just give the car to her worker and pay to let him register it. I think Mexico is still allowing it's citizens amnesty to register 'chocolates'.

Braulio - 10-30-2005 at 09:25 AM

What has happened is last august or so Fox decided to advance the date at which used cars can be registered in Mexico - it was originally supposed to take place in 2009. It's really just a recognition of an already out of control situation - and an attempt to get some tax money - and maybe reduce corruption.

There are restrictions - like it only applies to certain models and they have to be between 10 and 15 years old.

The amnesty law - which pertains to unlicensed/registered vehicles that are already in Mexico (los chocolates) runs through the end of 2005. But again - I think they can still import them after that date - it's just that they run the risk of having it impounded if they get stopped - which presently isn't all that likely anyway - unless you're driving something that the commandante might like to give to his girlfriend or something.

I guess the program to fronterize vehicles will continue as is - but don't really know.

So - I wonder where all those cars flooded-out cars from the hurricanes will wind up?

bajalou - 10-30-2005 at 09:39 AM

I've lost it now, but had the URL of a site that was supposed to let you know if a car had been in the hurricanes. Don't know how it was supposed to work, but if you're looking for a new/used car, might be worthwhile to try and find it.

:light:

Braulio - 11-2-2005 at 10:33 AM

Here's a link to an article in a Sinaloa newpaper that gives some more info on the program to register illegal cars - it's in Spanish - but I'll smmarize:

Of the estimated 100K illegal cars in the state of Sinaloa only about half will qualify for the program.

Cost to register vehicles is between 70 - 80 dollars US.

The program will end in february.

Hope the link works.

http://www.debate.com.mx/eldebate/index.asp?IdTPDMilenium=27...

Braulio - 11-2-2005 at 10:58 AM

After thinking about it a minute - I'm sure there's more cost than just 70/80 bucks - that must not include the "pedimento de importaci?n" - and maybe some other things.

I'm going to investigate it pretty well from the State of Sinaloa - if anybody wants more info post away here.

Chau.