BajaNomad

Another DirectTV Question

cathart - 11-14-2005 at 07:37 PM

I have a house in La Mision. Will I have the same problem with the odd stations on DirectTV there, or is the problem only South of Ensenada?

burro bob - 11-15-2005 at 09:43 AM

cathart
You should have no problem getting the odd transponders as long as they are not being used for spot beams.
You have to be a lot further south before you start getting signal strength problems.
burro bob

cathart - 11-15-2005 at 07:19 PM

What do you mean when you say "as long as they are not being used for spot beams"?

Spotbeams

MrBillM - 11-16-2005 at 07:23 AM

Many of the Network and local channels for specific cities have been moved or placed on "Spotbeam" transponders which focus on a 150 mile radius around that particular city. In other words, if you are subscribed to a local package such as San Diego, once you are outside that 150 mile radius, you won't be able to receive those local channels.

Both DirecTV and Dish Network have been doing this for awhile in response to FCC Complaints filed by Cable TV interests. Below San Felipe, my access to San Diego channels on Dish Network would vary from day to day dependent on atmospherics. San Diego is approx 170 air miles away.

cathart - 11-16-2005 at 06:12 PM

Oh--Well I subscribe to DirectTV in Los Angeles, and everything worked just fine in La Mision, about 3 weeks ago,which is over 150 miles from where I live. So I guess it should be okay now.

BajaRescue - 3-5-2006 at 06:30 AM

For Dish Network, some of the local network packages for certain areas, like LA or New York, have most of their channels broadcast using the main conus beams and not the spot beams. My advice is to get a US billing/residence you can use in one of these areas.